Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

it probably contributes to the narrowing of the gap towards the higher-end of the pay scale;  i imagine that women in executive roles are  far better placed to plan their families and take shorter periods of maternity leave, if they wish, with paid-for childcare being a more viable option for them than staff at the lower end of the scale; less time off must equate to a lesser impact of the potential pay-gap which may develop over lengthier absence; in simple terms, female executives have the facility to earn more money over a longer period of time compared lower paid colleagues who are - to a certain extent - left with little or no option other than to take unpaid time out, hence more equivalence with male colleagues on similar pay grades at the top end

Possibly. That's the problem with statistics on this matter, too many variables when looking at the subject as a whole.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I assume it's not taking that into account as maternity/paternity leave doesn't give the woman/man full-time pay. I can't be certain though, would need to look back at the study.

You'd expect a break in full time employment to affect the pay balance though which kind of defeats the purpose of producing such stats! 

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Found the interview and he was impressive over the gender pay gap. Descended into waffle over trans marxism and the lobster hierarchy though. Surprised to read about all the fuss though, her getting loads of threats from his alt right fanboys apparently. Decent combatative interview on both sides I thought.

Agree totally.

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We're watching a wrap up of the Olympics. 30 minutes in and so far, it's been nothing but clips of people whooping like howler monkeys.

It would have been a better show if they were going at it like bonobos.

We're watching a wrap up of the Olympics. 30 minutes in and so far, it's been nothing but clips of people whooping like howler monkeys.

Sure you're not watching a wildlife documentary with David Attenborough?

3 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Sure you're not watching a wildlife documentary with David Attenborough?

No, I'm pretty sure David Attenborough doesn't whoop like a howler monkey.

Although what he does in the privacy of his own bedroom is none of my business.

Supermarkets taking the piss with the per unit prices.

They've obviously caught on that TV programmes are making people wiser by buying bigger boxes, so Tesco are now making small boxes of cereal 'cheaper'. For example, a normal box of cereal is 77p per unit whilst the big 1.5 kilos ones are ~£1.20.

TV programmes with a character who can only be seen and heard by the star of the show, like Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) or Quantum Leap. In just about every episode there's a scene where the star has a conversation with his invisible pal in full view of other people, who naturally think he's talking to himself. You'd think that after being caught out a couple of times they'd know to keep their trap shut until they're alone, but no...