Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I've never heard of him/her before seeing a headline on the news. I've heard of Stormzy (who was mentioned in the same headline) but don't know any of his records.

I only knew who stormzy was because of him being pictured with jeremy corbon and the news going on and on about it.

Was he no pictured with lukaku in america as well?

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

What a load of bollocks. It doesn't show if there are more men than women. You might have a landscape gardening business with ten male labourers and one woman in the office doing the accounts. The labourers will be on minimum wage whilst the accountant woman will be on a lot more but according to this utter pish this company would have a gender pay gap in favour of men. 

Yes it is a nonsense.

I find it astonishing that such terrible data is a requirement for disclosure in accounts these days. It’s actually patronising and insulting to women IMO.

Don't think this is correct, it's the total pay for male employees / total number of male employees vs same for female. There is (unsurprisingly) a gap between this figure as rightly or wrongly the majority of senior positions tend to be held by men. easyJet and TUI have large disparities as they employ mostly male pilots and mostly female cabin crew. In your example the company would have a gender pay gap in favour of women (I suspect most of the 11% that came out this way are relatively small businesses). 

21 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Don't think this is correct, it's the total pay for male employees / total number of male employees vs same for female. There is (unsurprisingly) a gap between this figure as rightly or wrongly the majority of senior positions tend to be held by men. easyJet and TUI have large disparities as they employ mostly male pilots and mostly female cabin crew. In your example the company would have a gender pay gap in favour of women (I suspect most of the 11% that came out this way are relatively small businesses). 

i notice that the hysterical media are not using the example of the Haitian prostitutes that these Oxfam herberts were all throwing money at to illustrate this so-called "gender pay gap", eh - selective reporting at its very worst

i imagine this same furore would also illustrate the (again) so called "glass ceiling" that female workers reputedly come up against - or maybe that'd be "glass topped coffee table" - one or the other, anyway...

I found this image quite interesting regarding the gender pay gap:

Image result for pay gap doesn't exist graphic

Basically when men and women are judged on doing the same job at the same level in the same company then there is virtually no pay gap. Jordan Peterson is a guy I've found recently (thanks to his absolute murdering of Cathy Newman) and he seems to talk a lot of sense on these issues.

10 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

i notice that the hysterical media are not using the example of the Haitian prostitutes that these Oxfam herberts were all throwing money at to illustrate this so-called "gender pay gap", eh - selective reporting at its very worst

i imagine this same furore would also illustrate the (again) so called "glass ceiling" that female workers reputedly come up against - or maybe that'd be "glass topped coffee table" - one or the other, anyway...

Every post you make is laced with some sort of sexual deviancy. Can you not go and find a deviants forum to post on?

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Every post you make is laced with some sort of sexual deviancy. Can you not go and find a deviants forum to post on?

He claimed bukkake was on the National schools curriculum in Japan the other day! OFTW imo.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Who was he before the platinum name change.

I don't know. You used to be able to tell before the upgrade but now there's no way I don't think. Gunther in particular likes this new feature.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Basically when men and women are judged on doing the same job at the same level in the same company then there is virtually no pay gap. Jordan Peterson is a guy I've found recently (thanks to his absolute murdering of Cathy Newman) and he seems to talk a lot of sense on these issues.

Sounds like banana.

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/is-jordan-peterson-the-stupid-mans-smart-person/

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I appreciate he's not everyone's cup of tea but that article is taking parts of sentences he's said and using them against him, it can be easy to take things like that out of context. Newman tried to do the same in that interview and got absolutely destroyed to the point where her brain stopped working. I would hate to be grouped with the likes of banana, and I must say I don't agree with everything Peterson says or writes, but I found his analysis of the pay gap stuff fairly hard to disagree with.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Image result for pay gap doesn't exist graphic

I've often wondered if these stats allow for women taking time out to have and bring up children? I know the U.K. now has paternity leave for men but in pretty much all cases of friends I know the mother chooses to stay at home for the early formative years. Nothing wrong with that as it's a vitally important job (I'll be a stay at home Dad from April) but can you really expect to paid the same as a coworker after a 2-5 year absence, particularly in ever evolving industries such as IT?

My earning power as a freelancer in my previous career was down to market rates and the strength of my negotiating from literally naming your price in the boom time to begging in the bust.... .was the same for most plus not many women in the construction industry though so not enough data for me to say I saw a disproportionate pay scale between the sexes.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

I've often wondered if these stats allow for women taking time out to have and bring up children? I know the U.K. now has paternity leave for men but in pretty much all cases of friends I know the mother chooses to stay at home for the early formative years. Nothing wrong with that as it's a vitally important job (I'll be a stay at home Dad from April) but can you really expect to paid the same as a coworker after a 2-5 year absence, particularly in ever evolving industries such as IT?

My earning power as a freelancer in my previous career was down to market rates and the strength of my negotiating from literally naming your price in the boom time to begging in the bust.... .was the same for most plus not many women in the construction industry though so not enough data for me to say I saw a disproportionate pay scale between the sexes.

It's based on full-time pay.

Just now, sjc said:

Does it allow for scenarios such as the one I mentioned? e.g. Breaks in full time employment?

I assume it's not taking that into account as maternity/paternity leave doesn't give the woman/man full-time pay. I can't be certain though, would need to look back at the study.

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

it probably contributes to the narrowing of the gap towards the higher-end of the pay scale;  i imagine that women in executive roles are  far better placed to plan their families and take shorter periods of maternity leave, if they wish, with paid-for childcare being a more viable option for them than staff at the lower end of the scale; less time off must equate to a lesser impact of the potential pay-gap which may develop over lengthier absence; in simple terms, female executives have the facility to earn more money over a longer period of time compared lower paid colleagues who are - to a certain extent - left with little or no option other than to take unpaid time out, hence more equivalence with male colleagues on similar pay grades at the top end

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I appreciate he's not everyone's cup of tea but that article is taking parts of sentences he's said and using them against him, it can be easy to take things like that out of context. Newman tried to do the same in that interview and got absolutely destroyed to the point where her brain stopped working. I would hate to be grouped with the likes of banana, and I must say I don't agree with everything Peterson says or writes, but I found his analysis of the pay gap stuff fairly hard to disagree with.

Found the interview and he was impressive over the gender pay gap. Descended into waffle over trans marxism and the lobster hierarchy though. Surprised to read about all the fuss though, her getting loads of threats from his alt right fanboys apparently. Decent combatative interview on both sides I thought.

Edited by welshbairn