Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

When did this loss leader nonsense start? It can't have been around for that long?

As I mentioned earlier, the system works fine if you're on the ball with your finances but it just shafts anyone who's not (including plenty of vulnerable people).

Could they not introduce legislation to say that the quote can't rise for a set number of years (unless there's a claim)? That way the companies would all have to offer a more responsible price.
From what I gather it all stemmed from the advent of the online 'cheaper than anyone else f**k the companies you can ditch the middleman and do everything yourself' sites. Pretty much generates a race to the bottom and consumer expectation now is that they will just go online and knock hundreds off their expected price.

It's difficult to give such a simple all encompassing rule given how insurance is actually worked out and given that each company are an individual business they are entitled to work out their ratings any way they like. For example there was one company I dealt with who would actually likely give a lower price the year after a claim is made. Sounds crazy right ?! But their take was that they had statistics to show that people who made a claim were far less likely to claim in the next year , and given insurance is an estimation of the likelihood of what will happen in the next year that actually makes sense.

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

From what I gather it all stemmed from the advent of the online 'cheaper than anyone else f**k the companies you can ditch the middleman and do everything yourself' sites. Pretty much generates a race to the bottom and consumer expectation now is that they will just go online and knock hundreds off their expected price.

It's difficult to give such a simple all encompassing rule given how insurance is actually worked out and given that each company are an individual business they are entitled to work out their ratings any way they like. For example there was one company I dealt with who would actually likely give a lower price the year after a claim is made. Sounds crazy right ?! But their take was that they had statistics to show that people who made a claim were far less likely to claim in the next year , and given insurance is an estimation of the likelihood of what will happen in the next year that actually makes sense.

My car insurance barely went up at all after I got 6 speeding points in one hour. But I've been careful as f**k ever since, so it makes sense. So would you recommend switching companies each year for whoever is cheapest when renewal comes up?

My car insurance barely went up at all after I got 6 speeding points in one hour. But I've been careful as f**k ever since, so it makes sense. So would you recommend switching companies each year for whoever is cheapest when renewal comes up?
Certainly pays to have a quick shop about , cheapest isn't always best tho , I rarely go for the absolute cheapest as it's usually some company that you've never heard of. Luckily the last few years the company I'm with have been pretty spot on with the renewals and anytime they've been a bit out a quick phone call has sorted it out .

2 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

People who call Pancake Tuesday "Pancake Day". It's always a fucking Tuesday, same as Easter is always a Sunday, you wouldn't say Easter Day or Ash Day. They can all die

In fact, why bother with the Tuesday part.  We dont say Merry Christmas Day or Happy Easter Sunday.

Happy Pancake!

People who call Pancake Tuesday "Pancake Day".

Pancake Tuesday? Pancake f***ing Tuesday?! It's either Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day.

Having never heard any sane person say 'Pancake Tuesday', I felt compelled to type it into Google only to find a page making not one mention of it, instead (and quite rightfully) filling the search results exclusively with references to either Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day. People like you Sir are a menace to society.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Stovies with square sausage is way worse than anything that I've ever done.

And I include sweet mince curry with pineapple through it in that equation. 

@Unleash The Nade has the best stovie recipe I've ever tasted and it uses square sausage. Corned beef is for a sandwich.