Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Drivers that have the volume on their hands free phones turned up to 11. Sitting in a car park and there's a guy about 50ft away yammering into his phone. I can't hear him, just every word of the guy he's talking to.

Suppose it's just evidence they drive shitey cars with terrible insulation.

24 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Folk who dont wash their hands in a bog. Clatty wee p***ks.

I wouldn't call that petty at all. It's a serious concern and anyone guilty of it should have a hand chopped off

When I go to pay for something with a £20 (that I have just got from the cash machine) and the person says "Don't you have anything smaller?"

well 1) I wouldn't give you £20 note if I had a better, smaller alternative and 2) you are the shopkeeper - if people want to buy things then its your responsibility to have change so that people can pay with legal notes and get back what's due. FFS.

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Drivers that have the volume on their hands free phones turned up to 11. Sitting in a car park and there's a guy about 50ft away yammering into his phone. I can't hear him, just every word of the guy he's talking to.

Suppose it's just evidence they drive shitey cars with terrible insulation.

The daughter of my neighbours is bad for this.

Pulls up and you hear the phone ringing and every word said to her even though I'm at the back of the house wi the door closed.

Must be unbearably loud in her car

When I go to pay for something with a £20 (that I have just got from the cash machine) and the person says "Don't you have anything smaller?"

well 1) I wouldn't give you £20 note if I had a better, smaller alternative and 2) you are the shopkeeper - if people want to buy things then its your responsibility to have change so that people can pay with legal notes and get back what's due. FFS.

Buses are bad for it round my bit. If I want to pay for a £1.60 journey with a crisp £20 note then they have to give me change for it. Sometimes they just can’t be arsed and let you on for nothing

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I'm not sure this is true - I read somewhere that there's no legal obligation for a shopkeeper or anybody else to give you change if you hand over more than the cost of the goods. Of course any shopkeeper who tried that would very rapidly run out of customers so it's unlikely ever to happen.

Buses are bad for it round my bit. If I want to pay for a £1.60 journey with a crisp £20 note then they have to give me change for it. Sometimes they just can’t be arsed and let you on for nothing

Unless you're on a First Bus, in which case they'll say stick the £20 note in the machine and give you nothing back.

The contactless payment thing they're installing is going to hit them hard. Good.

Unless you're on a First Bus, in which case they'll say stick the £20 note in the machine and give you nothing back.

The contactless payment thing they're installing is going to hit them hard. Good.

Arbroath buses give you change. Dundee city buses have the machine thing that you have to put exact fare in. It’s quite funny seeing people kicking off cause the driver won’t let them on as they are 5p short

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

The daughter of my neighbours is bad for this.

Pulls up and you hear the phone ringing and every word said to her even though I'm at the back of the house wi the door closed.

Must be unbearably loud in her car

How old and pics?

39 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I'm not sure this is true - I read somewhere that there's no legal obligation for a shopkeeper or anybody else to give you change if you hand over more than the cost of the goods. Of course any shopkeeper who tried that would very rapidly run out of customers so it's unlikely ever to happen.

Correct. Unless you're part of a protected minority and can prove a case of discrimination, a shopkeeper (or anyone else) is under no legal obligation to do business with you at all. Hence the signs saying 'We reserve the right to refuse service..."

Like you say though, it wouldn't make for good business unless there was a valid reason for turning down the sale.