Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

23 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

The obsession the media seem to have about the Parkhead atmosphere whenever they play in the champions league. Atmosphere there is shite for run of the mill domestic games but a few good atmospheres for glamour games and the U.K. Media are obsessed.

There's a huge myth built up around Celtic and European games. In reality they're just another average European team who once had some success, which is no different from countless other teams in Europe. The media like to big up this atmosphere and use quotes from players like Messi about how it's the 'best they've ever experienced', but I imagine a lot of players say the same about other grounds they visit. The media also talk about the big results Celtic have got at home (beating Barcelona, Man United, AC Milan), which were undeniably great results, but again no different from countless other European teams who have taken the occasional win over much bigger and better teams.

Whilst we're in this thread and talking about Celtic related things, Owen Coyle last night on the radio couldn't simply call them 'Celtic'. Every single time he had to refer to them as 'Glasgow Celtic'. He also said they wouldn't get battered. But then he's got a shocker of a middle name and he's a thick cretin.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's a huge myth built up around Celtic and European games. In reality they're just another average European team who once had some success, which is no different from countless other teams in Europe. The media like to big up this atmosphere and use quotes from players like Messi about how it's the 'best they've ever experienced', but I imagine a lot of players say the same about other grounds they visit. The media also talk about the big results Celtic have got at home (beating Barcelona, Man United, AC Milan), which were undeniably great results, but again no different from countless other European teams who have taken the occasional win over much bigger and better teams.

Whilst we're in this thread and talking about Celtic related things, Owen Coyle last night on the radio couldn't simply call them 'Celtic'. Every single time he had to refer to them as 'Glasgow Celtic'. He also said they wouldn't get battered. But then he's got a shocker of a middle name and he's a thick cretin.

A Scottish honved

Just like many parts of mainland Europe. Problem here is employees would want more money for working in the early evening. Even with a later start, it's just the way we think. That coupled with the massive shift in attitude required towards shopping in the early evening instead of just heading to the pub means it's unlikely to happen any time soon. 

Who heads to the pub in the early evening? I haven't noticed pubs being mobbed Monday to Friday in your average town.

I'd be interested to know how many retail type employers pay increased wages for staff working evenings. I would have thought retailers were the kind of employers who would see non-standard shifts as unworthy of additional payments. Probably dress it up as providing choice to employees, like with zero hours contracts.

Who heads to the pub in the early evening? I haven't noticed pubs being mobbed Monday to Friday in your average town.

I'd be interested to know how many retail type employers pay increased wages for staff working evenings. I would have thought retailers were the kind of employers who would see non-standard shifts as unworthy of additional payments. Probably dress it up as providing choice to employees, like with zero hours contracts.

They pretty much don't, it's just part of retail now. Personally I think people should get unsociable hours pay as whilst I'm sure a lot of people are happy doing evenings and weekends most probably aren't.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

This applies to barbers.

I'm here to get my hair cut. I don't want to have a conversation.

I disagree. If you get yourself a barber/hairdresser who moves past the usual weather, holidays and weekend patter and actually has something decent to talk about it's much better than sitting in an awkward silence for 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I generally do my own chips but I'm feeling lazy. 30 minutes the pack said, been on for 50 so far and the chips still aren't cooked. Pie is sitting ready to be served. The rare occasions I use frozen chips this often seems to happen. Stupid things.

Were they in the same oven as the pie?

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

This applies to barbers.

I'm here to get my hair cut. I don't want to have a conversation.

I usually get the same guy I've had for years in my barbers so when he's cutting my hair we talk away about what we've been up to etc. and it's fine but I was in a few weeks ago and the shop was quite busy so I just went to the first guy available.  He starts talking about the latest terrorist attack - "Awful, isn't it?" he says. "Aye" I reply, in the hope that he'll get the hint that I have no interest in discussing this with him but he doesn't and wades in with "I'd just get them aw tae f**k mate. Deport the lot of them. If you wurnae born here and yer no workin' here get tae f**k". I just mumbled in agreement in the hope he'd shut up but he spent the entire haircut being racist and illogical - "just round the b*****ds up in a field and send the firing squad in, BOOM, aw deid, problem solved". It's like Kevin Bridges says, scumbags automatically assume that you are also a scumbag then preach their views to you and wait for approval. Total nightmare.

And he didn't even cut my hair that well, the c**t.