Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

There isn't an H needing pronounced though. It makes up the 'th'. If the 'h' was to be pronounced then it would shirley be said like 'Sout-hampton'. This conversation is only furthering my rage JM!

The name of the city evolved from 'hampton' though. South-Hampton.

The name of the city evolved from 'hampton' though. South-Hampton.

I've no issue with that but it's still being pronounced differently to the way it's spelled. It's like pronouncing Southend South-hend. Mental language.

Plenty of words are pronounced differently to how they are spelt.

Indeed. English must be one of the most difficult languages to learn because it's so fucked up at times. The Southampton one is just a personal favourite.

9 hours ago, milton75 said:

I'm not calling you Weeperdee or anything, but why are you telling us that some future-bam hit your daughter, and not at least explaining to the harridan mother that she is scum?

There are two reason why I didnt. 

1. I tried polite chat with her when we arrived. She didn't speak a word of the Queen's.

2. I was waiting for my daughter to hit her boy back. Im trying to let her sort her own problems instead of dad having to do it. She's only 1 and a half but it'll stand her in good stead.... hopefully

There isn't an H needing pronounced though. It makes up the 'th'. If the 'h' was to be pronounced then it would shirley be said like 'Sout-hampton'. This conversation is only furthering my rage JM!

Am going to start pronouncing it Sout-Hampton just to annoy you

1. I tried polite chat with her when we arrived. She didn't speak a word of the Queen's.
2. I was waiting for my daughter to hit her boy back. Im trying to let her sort her own problems instead of dad having to do it. She's only 1 and a half but it'll stand her in good stead.... hopefully

[emoji23] Fine reasons. Buy your daughter mini knuckledusters for skelping bams.

I'd say it was a catchphrase seeing as he's been doing it for years...certainly since he was alongside Andy Gray. Second point is correct though, it is shite.

Ah right. I've only just started noticing and getting enraged by it. I wonder if the chap who says it thinks "aye, this is me, this is my thing".... or he secretly hates having to do it but is under strict orders from bosses to persist and every time he says it a small part of his soul dies.

Either way it's shite.

2 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

How old was the boy?

Just now, GordonD said:

So a 3-year-old hitting a 1 1/2 year old. That's out of order surely. Bet he was a Tim who boasted to his mates about being invincible.

Odd... Thought the T-word was automatically censored...

58 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Should have battered the bairn tbf (hers not yours).

50 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Then he would have been the bad guy and the woman the injured party.

As they were Muslim it would probably have been seen a hate crime.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've covered that part further up emoji14.png

Sometimes the spelling of a word becomes contracted, to avoid ugliness e.g. a double "h", without the intention of its pronunciation being altered. Just saying.