Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Firstly, being fairly specific about the time is NO hardship whatsoever. Secondly, there is NO excuse for shite timekeeping. Having "the back of" defining any time within a half hour window is fucking ridiculous.
Kincardine has the correct logic on this, but I would go a bit tighter and say the cut off is 9minutes past the hour. After that, you can tell me to the nearest five if you wish, but "the back of" just doesn't cut the mustard.

The forum agreed* on a 20 minute cut off.

Deal with it.

*and by forum I mean me and my cheating wife.

42 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aye - you're Mrs got a set made for me.

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Oaft.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Well this is certainly a turn up for the books.

Aye.  I could of done better...

On 5/29/2017 at 09:29, Sergeant Wilson said:

Weirdos that hang about airports then have to get to where they actually want to be, by another form of transport annoy me. They could get the train and get on and off in the city centre.

On 5/29/2017 at 10:08, welshbairn said:

Someone was talking about flying from Glasgow to Birmingham a while back. That is a seriously thick choice.

On 5/29/2017 at 10:24, Hillonearth said:

If you're going right to the south coast or southwest of England then sure, flying will be a lot easier. For London itself these days, it's really not any quicker than taking the train - aye, it's nominally a 50-minute flight, but chances are especially at Heathrow you'll end up stacked waiting to land and it'll be a good bit longer than that. You've then got 45-50 minutes packed into the Heathrow express to get to the centre, or an hour in the train from the other airports. Factor in the time and hassle you'll spend fannying about at the airport at either end in the current security climate, and what are you saving by flying...half an hour?

If I have the choice, train will win every time. I'd go as far as saying that trains are the most civilised form of transport that we've yet invented (this admittedly mainly refers to nice long-haul trains where I sit in 1st Class and people bring me food and beer).

Train to London from Glasgow beats the plane every time. Over the years it really has gotten to about a 40 minute difference, and it's so much more relaxing.

The only thing annoying about the trains is that there are still areas of the UK that don't easily connect to others. I have to go to Leeds/Sheffield area every now and then, and it's drive or get a silly wee plane to Leeds-Bradford. Driving takes about 4 1/2 hours to Sheffield, which is a real pain in the balls. Especially since only about an hour of the journey is particularly scenic. I've got the silly flight a few times, but that's another faff. 

I have to go to Hull in a few weeks. Another ballache.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Firstly, being fairly specific about the time is NO hardship whatsoever. Secondly, there is NO excuse for shite timekeeping. Having "the back of" defining any time within a half hour window is fucking ridiculous.

Kincardine has the correct logic on this, but I would go a bit tighter and say the cut off is 9minutes past the hour. After that, you can tell me to the nearest five if you wish, but "the back of" just doesn't cut the mustard.

This is the correct answer.

12 minutes ago, milton75 said:

If I have the choice, train will win every time. I'd go as far as saying that trains are the most civilised form of transport that we've yet invented (this admittedly mainly refers to nice long-haul trains where I sit in 1st Class and people bring me food and beer).

Train to London from Glasgow beats the plane every time. Over the years it really has gotten to about a 40 minute difference, and it's so much more relaxing.

The only thing annoying about the trains is that there are still areas of the UK that don't easily connect to others. I have to go to Leeds/Sheffield area every now and then, and it's drive or get a silly wee plane to Leeds-Bradford. Driving takes about 4 1/2 hours to Sheffield, which is a real pain in the balls. Especially since only about an hour of the journey is particularly scenic. I've got the silly flight a few times, but that's another faff. 

I have to go to Hull in a few weeks. Another ballache.

Trains are fucking awesome. I'd take the train to London before flying - by the time you get to the airport, check in, sort your luggage, get the flight, get your luggage at the other end, then actually get into London, you're really not saving that much time compared to getting the train to King's Cross, where you can walk around, take as much luggage as you want, and drink food and snacks you've purchased beforehand at a reasonable price.

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I wear a watch but if someone asks me the time I always check my phone.

Wait, what? So instead of just looking at your wrist you pull your phone out of your pocket to check the time? Can you not read a watch? 

OFTW.