Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just now, Aidan said:

No. I pay what I need to, put a bit into my savings and then spread the rest out across the month for going out, takeaways, football etc. The problem is, I thought today was the last Friday of the month so I've left myself short. Not the biggest disaster in the world, just something which is a bit petty and happened to get on my nerves when I realised.

There's always too much month left at the end of the money.

9 minutes ago, red23 said:

Never understood this fascination of payday, The whole fuss around the exact day your pay hits your bank account. It'll comes in one day or another. "AYE!!! payday tomorrow!!, what you going to do with it?" . What do you do when you get it?? spend it all like an out of control junkie?

^^^What an ignorant c**t.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

^^^What an ignorant c**t.

It's a genuine question though. Are people really that out of control of their spending that they count the exact days until payday? £10 from financial ruin. Show some restraint 

Just now, red23 said:

It's a genuine question though. Are people really that out of control of their spending that they count the exact days until payday? £10 from financial ruin. Show some restraint 

A lot of people can barely cope with their outgoings from their income. If shit happens they struggle.

I feel like you're completely missing the point.

Just now, welshbairn said:

A lot of people can barely cope with their outgoings from their income. If shit happens they struggle.

The minimum wage doesn't go that far for most people who have to end up borrowing money a week before they get paid. So yes I have been in that position of counting days until the mediocre amount of money goes into my bank accout. You pay back what you borrow and the cycle repeats itself unfortunately.

Maybe red23 has some spare cash he can give to people who need it more than his bank does.

3 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

The minimum wage doesn't go that far for most people who have to end up borrowing money a week before they get paid. So yes I have been in that position of counting days until the mediocre amount of money goes into my bank accout. You pay back what you borrow and the cycle repeats itself unfortunately.

Maybe red23 has some spare cash he can give to people who need it more than his bank does.

It's not so much that. Everyone i know who struggles for money and going payday to payday has the latest iphone, car on hire purchase, house they can barely afford. People these days have a problem between what they need and want. We've all become a bit greedy :)

I think this is a side-effect of parenthood. f**k knows the last time I slept beyond about 8:30am. Even on the rare occasion I'm out on the piss and stagger in at 3am, I'm a safe bet to have a poxy 4 hour snooze and wake up even earlier than I normally would.

I don't even have kids, but the lastest I'll sleep in until is 9. It infuriates me.

15 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I feel like you're completely missing the point.

Exactly. It's an awkward thing to warn your tailor that he's going to have to wait a week for his payment because of a screw up by the accounts department, but it's hardly a disaster.

Just now, red23 said:

It's not so much that. Everyone i know who struggles for money and going payday to payday has the latest iphone, car on hire purchase, house they can barely afford. People these days have a problem between what they need and want. We've all become a bit greedy :)

I grew up in a time before Maggie Thatcher deregulated the banks and credit was hard to come by and the adverts the banks were using mostly told us to save our cash in their banks, nowadays the adverts are telling folk to get easy credit to buy the latest stuff, why? because they make more cash out of us by being in debt, but who cares you have the latest stuff and that's what is important is the new mantra.

I understand where you are coming from but for the younger generation they have been subjected to mass marketing ploys that you don't have to accept mediocre things in your life if you accept credit but try not to think that it is actually a debt that has to be paid back.

I pay cash upfront for just about everything because I don't use credit facilities, I saved up very hard by scrimping and scraping, cutting some corners and that. But that's my personal choice and if others can't do it the old fashioned way then what is wrong with using a credit facility if you can pay it back with interest? As someone once put it!, it's the new catalogue where you pay up weekly for things you want now except without having to buy from one catalogue.

Peer pressure and extreme vanity can make folk take the easy cash credit so they look like they have money when in fact it's all a sham.

This chat has got very serious when you consider that all I was really complaining about was the fact I can't have a few pints and a takeaway tomorrow.

Red23 will sub you a few quid.

17 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

I grew up in a time before Maggie Thatcher deregulated the banks and credit was hard to come by and the adverts the banks were using mostly told us to save our cash in their banks, nowadays the adverts are telling folk to get easy credit to buy the latest stuff, why? because they make more cash out of us by being in debt, but who cares you have the latest stuff and that's what is important is the new mantra.

I understand where you are coming from but for the younger generation they have been subjected to mass marketing ploys that you don't have to accept mediocre things in your life if you accept credit but try not to think that it is actually a debt that has to be paid back.

I pay cash upfront for just about everything because I don't use credit facilities, I saved up very hard by scrimping and scraping, cutting some corners and that. But that's my personal choice and if others can't do it the old fashioned way then what is wrong with using a credit facility if you can pay it back with interest? As someone once put it!, it's the new catalogue where you pay up weekly for things you want now except without having to buy from one catalogue.

Peer pressure and extreme vanity can make folk take the easy cash credit so they look like they have money when in fact it's all a sham.

Good post, i just don't think people these days know what its like to truly be hard up. To be honest i think its the media making everyone feel and believe they are 'skint' "aye..... see the cost of living is going up, wont be able to afford ma pint of milk soon".

The demand to be fashionable and one of the cool kids these days seems to be more important than eating.

I've lived all of my life so far with a clear boundary between needs and wants. No brand new phone, no brand new car and i've done Ok out of it.

Edited by red23

11 minutes ago, red23 said:

Good post, i just don't think people these days know what its like to truly be hard up. To be honest i think its the media making everyone feel and believe they are 'skint' "aye..... see the cost of living is going up, wont be able to afford ma pint of milk soon".

The demand to be fashionable and one of the cool kids these days seems to be more important than eating.

I've lived all of my life so far with a clear boundary between needs and wants. No brand new phone, no brand new car and i've done Ok out of it.

Maybe they should watch "Eat well for less" or any money savvy programs to help them cut some non essential financial habits that favour the lazy and miss out the soaps.

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I probably spend about a tenner from a local takeaway but okay

I'd suggest making your own pizza but after a few too many cans and about an hour later it will magically turn into a Goodfellas carbon frizby. :lol: