Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

There's a big part of me wants to work with dogs or run a dog home or something as a way of life and make enough to do all the things I'd like to do in life. Have no idea how to start and afraid to take the risk as I'm in a great accounting position.

I quite like working set hours between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. I have flexi so as long as I do my core hours between 10am and 4pm, I can come and go as I please.

I quite like my job, I don't jump out of bed on a Monday morning buzzing to get into the office, but I generally don't mind going to work. I will, in all likelihood, stay with my employer until I retire/die.

51 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Ditto, I'm generally a pretty cheery guy and tend to look on the bright side but a monday morning at 8am in the office when your shattered and it's cold and dark outside is pretty depressing. I'm 26, the thought of working in an office till I retire is not a nice one.

Fingers crossed for the lottery win or long lost rich relative popping their clogs.

This is pretty much my situation, although I'm 28. There are lots of aspects of my work that make my head want to explode, but when I hear of how my friends are getting on in their jobs it makes me slightly thankful for what I've got.  Being at this desk for another 40 years fills me with dread and depression though.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Flexi times changed my outlook on this, I used to hate 8-5 and be one of these people, now though I can be in at 7 and away at 2.45 day done leaving me a fuckload of time to do whatever I please.

Obviously I can get away earlier or later but working around your life is absolutely excellent and I love my job. If I got 5k a year more to go back to a rigid 8-5 I'd turn it down.

Agree with Chris though, negative shite first few hours of the week is incredibly annoying.

I moved onto flexi time about 6 years ago and at first it was the dogs bollocks.  At that point I didn't find getting up for work a chore, I would generally be quite happy going in so when I moved to flexi time I built up some time and took a Friday off. I had worked out that if I went in half an hour early Monday through Thursday I could take every second Friday off.  A fantastic idea in theory.  The reality is that first Friday I took off on flexi remains one of the only flexi days I've taken and for the last year I haven't had positive flexi time (at one point I owed the company 30 hours which is 8.5 hours short of a full working week).  There were/are a lot of factors that brought that upon me, but the biggest one was getting into a routine of waking up each morning and thinking "I'll just go in later and work on tonight". When you get to work later than everyone else and folk bombard you with questions/work you just want to go home at the earliest possible time so I'd end up leaving at my normal time and it just grew and grew. Looking at it, my managers should really be shot for letting it get so bad without giving me a kick up the arse but that's another reason why I've ended up so comfortable in this job - you can pretty much do as you like as long as your actual work isn't a disaster.

My dream is to run my own studio with my mate.  We're both in a band together and always talk about the studios in our area and how we could do them far better than the shiftless b*****ds that run studios around here. Getting the thousands needed to start something like that will always be an issue for us though. We've also spoken about opening a music cafe somewhere in the West End of Glasgow, which is probably more realistic than building the new Abbey Road studios in an Industrial Estate in Dumbarton, but still seems miles away from becoming a reality. Until either of these are plausible, I'll continue struggling through life with this office job.

40 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

f**k me then eh?! Good to hear of folk winning, seen folk buy them religiously and get nothing near the amount they spend back.

Saw a classic recently when a guy in front of me in a shop bought one, scratched it at the counter (always the mark of a true tink in much the same fashion as standing eating your purchase in a takeaway is), won a tenner and immediately spent his winnings on more scratchcards.

f**k me then eh?! Good to hear of folk winning, seen folk buy them religiously and get nothing near the amount they spend back.

Tbf one of them was my work mates wifes mother, but still not bad. Not something I buy either. Never bought one.

Same things happened to me Moonster, extremely hard to keep in routine when you can just get up or go home when you please...! Basically just use mines for Friday's now. Home for dinner time. Work later on a Monday to make up for it. Usually have some uni stuff to do for the Tuesday so it works in fine.

9 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

My sat nav, which is less than two years old, doesn't know where the f**k it is :angry: 

The maps could be 2 years older. Find somewhere with old houses. Mine came with the 2012 car, think the maps were from about 2010. An update has just come out for £116 where the maps are from 2015. Grrr.

Edited by welshbairn

I walk through Downhills Park every day and it's a lovely wee park and I'm getting pissed off at folk just dumping their rubbish there. If I see anyone doing it I'm gonna follow them to find out where they live and go back later and dump my wheelie bin in the front garden the c***s.

Until then I made a sign for the park noticeboard

Untitled.png

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This is pretty much my situation, although I'm 28. There are lots of aspects of my work that make my head want to explode, but when I hear of how my friends are getting on in their jobs it makes me slightly thankful for what I've got.  Being at this desk for another 40 years fills me with dread and depression though.

I moved onto flexi time about 6 years ago and at first it was the dogs bollocks.  At that point I didn't find getting up for work a chore, I would generally be quite happy going in so when I moved to flexi time I built up some time and took a Friday off. I had worked out that if I went in half an hour early Monday through Thursday I could take every second Friday off.  A fantastic idea in theory.  The reality is that first Friday I took off on flexi remains one of the only flexi days I've taken and for the last year I haven't had positive flexi time (at one point I owed the company 30 hours which is 8.5 hours short of a full working week).  There were/are a lot of factors that brought that upon me, but the biggest one was getting into a routine of waking up each morning and thinking "I'll just go in later and work on tonight". When you get to work later than everyone else and folk bombard you with questions/work you just want to go home at the earliest possible time so I'd end up leaving at my normal time and it just grew and grew. Looking at it, my managers should really be shot for letting it get so bad without giving me a kick up the arse but that's another reason why I've ended up so comfortable in this job - you can pretty much do as you like as long as your actual work isn't a disaster.

My dream is to run my own studio with my mate.  We're both in a band together and always talk about the studios in our area and how we could do them far better than the shiftless b*****ds that run studios around here. Getting the thousands needed to start something like that will always be an issue for us though. We've also spoken about opening a music cafe somewhere in the West End of Glasgow, which is probably more realistic than building the new Abbey Road studios in an Industrial Estate in Dumbarton, but still seems miles away from becoming a reality. Until either of these are plausible, I'll continue struggling through life with this office job.

Get out your pit earlier, you lazy sod. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Only a wee dash of kahlua away from the glorious white russian. Suspect a wee half teaspoon of nescafe would do in a crisis.

Had a Caucasian last night for the first time in over a year.

I suspect there may be many more before the week is out.