England v Panama

Cerberus

To be honest what I want is to be totally indifferent to the England national team and their progress. Unfortunately every ‘UK’ media outlet does their utmost best to deny me that pleasure.

As such, I take great pleasure in their abject failures and the national mourning that follows.
This. Every year in the buildup I think you know what, I actually just dont give a f**k about them anymore, then the bollocks starts and I pray for them to get fucked because they genuinely ruin the enjoyability of the tournament.

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Jeez, sorry guys, bringing 'Rangers' into the thread was my shout - I apologise profusely.

Apology accepted.  The average brain-dead Yesser sees England and thinks Rangers.  I, equally, apologise for picking on the dull of thinking.

14 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Jeez, sorry guys, bringing 'Rangers' into the thread was my shout - I apologise profusely.

Could anyone wishing to continue with yon pish please vacate to the appropriate part of the board.

Stop crying Ned - I think that aspect of the discussion is over from my POV. I have pointed out that I consider that Gincardine’s statement that they were all pulling for Celtic in the 60s before we kicked the arse out of celebrating is a fairy story concocted to sidestep accusations of hypocrisy. Nothing more to add really.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
To be honest what I want is to be totally indifferent to the England national team and their progress. Unfortunately every ‘UK’ media outlet does their utmost best to deny me that pleasure.

As such, I take great pleasure in their abject failures and the national mourning that follows.

This. Every year in the buildup I think you know what, I actually just dont give a f**k about them anymore, then the bollocks starts and I pray for them to get fucked because they genuinely ruin the enjoyability of the tournament.

Same. I couldn't have given a toss either way about England's results - even if they'd gone on to win it - before the tournament. I was back in full ABE mode within 10 minutes of listening to their commentators in the Tunisia game though. 

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This..I can't wait till they get a half decent team then their out.then I can enjoy it more only good thing about it is the wife who is English doesn't talk too me for a month 

England would pump Germany if they met in this tournament. Germany's defence is terrible and Kane & co. would have a field day against them.

The irony. England have been playing a back three of Maguire, Walker and Stones. Not a defender between them.

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The irony. England have been playing a back three of Maguire, Walker and Stones. Not a defender between them.

Germany don't have England's firepower though, whereas England have the ability to rattle in six. Germany wouldn't have scored six against that Panama side today.

Hear, Hear.
I'm not a Scotland 'fan' as it were, but I'd like to see them at a major tournament again and would definitely support them over England, but I could never associate myself with the folk you describe there. They are an embarrassment to Scotland and indicative of the 'wee man's syndrome that many Scots have.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with MJC and Kinky????

21 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

This..I can't wait till they get a half decent team then their out.then I can enjoy it more only good thing about it is the wife who is English doesn't talk too me for a month 

I think you'll be in for a big disappointment when the latter stages come around.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, but I don't think the bollocks is unique to England in truth.  Our commentators would also be ludicrously partisan.  It's also true that England should rightly be looking to go far now.  

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that we get subjected to English coverage of these games in a way that won't be  the case for most other countries.  I think it has a huge impact on fans of a team that was once regarded as England's major footballing rival.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but I don't think the bollocks is unique to England in truth.  Our commentators would also be ludicrously partisan.  It's also true that England should rightly be looking to go far now.  

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that we get subjected to English coverage of these games in a way that won't be  the case for most other countries.  I think it has a huge impact on fans of a team that was once regarded as England's major footballing rival.

If the coverage of Wales at the last Euros is anything to go by then our commentators wouldn't be given the opportunity. The little coverage Wales did get was most asking how they compared to England.

Our commentators are OK to be partisan on BBC SCOTLAND. It is a Scottish channel. Unfortunately, BBC forgets it broadcasts to all 4 countries/principalities in GB.

Just like they force the FA Cup, Women’s football, Rugby League, Cricket etc on us when our Scottish Cup, Shinty, Women’s Football is shoved on a regional channel.

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

If the coverage of Wales at the last Euros is anything to go by then our commentators wouldn't be given the opportunity. The little coverage Wales did get was most asking how they compared to England.

That's not my recollection.

I think there was a degree of rejoicing in them doing so well, even if there was an element of 'look at our league'  about it.   For both it kind of comes down to the fact that our national broadcaster does not equate to a particular national football team, which will be unusual.  

The fact that the vast bulk of that viewership will support one particular football nation means it all gets skewed and leaves outsiders resentful.   

Personally, I don't think they get that much wrong, but need to be more mindful of the fact that when they say "we", they need to qualify it.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but I don't think the bollocks is unique to England in truth. 

Indeed.  Remember how we celebrated just going to The WC in 1978?  That was WC hubris writ large:

1978.JPG.da01d823e7d1f7184384940f42e1e725.JPG

@The OPwas too young to remember but that won't stop him reinventing history.  

Ok, tin hat time.
I don’t mind if England qualify from the group. IIRC there’s 13 UEFA qualifiers? I’d like the last 16 to be the 13 from UEFA + 3. Then the last 8 to be all European.
Make FIFA remember which is the strongest federation before they start including more teams from S America, Asia, Africa, Oceania, N America and, probably Antarctica!

Our commentators are OK to be partisan on BBC SCOTLAND. It is a Scottish channel. Unfortunately, BBC forgets it broadcasts to all 4 countries/principalities in GB.

Just like they force the FA Cup, Women’s football, Rugby League, Cricket etc on us when our Scottish Cup, Shinty, Women’s Football is shoved on a regional channel.

Partisan coverage is always acceptable or never acceptable, surely?

The BBC coverage doubles as English coverage. It really doesn’t bother me that there’s a heavy focus on England. I have more of an issue with the evening news being dominated by Harry Kane.

Mind the 60s when sectarian discrimination was rife in employment and football violence was far worse than it is now? @The_Kincardine recalls that the **** and ****  (against whom the **** had a signing policy) really wished each other well. A sober reminder of what both old age and drinking to excess can do to the brain. 

@MJC might have a valid argument though, I don't remember him using fiction to suit his narrative.

Archived