PERTHSHIRE AMATEURS 2018-19

mcruic

First time I remember Perthshire having so few clubs - down to 27 for the new season it seems, and a 13-14 two-division set up.

DIVISION 1
Auchterarder Primrose
Ballinluig
Balmoral United (Blairgowrie, but play in Rattray)
Breadalbane (Aberfeldy)
Bridge of Earn
Burrelton Rovers
Craigie (Perth)
Kettins
Letham (Perth)
Luncarty Amateurs
Polteam (Perth)
Saint John's (Perth)
Vale of Earn (Crieff)

DIVISION 2
Alyth
Bridgeton United (play in Almondbank)
Coupar Angus Amateurs
Dunkeld & Birnam
Jeanfield Swifts Amateurs (Perth)
Kinrossie Caledonian
Letham Community (Perth)
Pitfour (new entry - Saint Madoes)
Rattray
Scone Thistle Amateurs
Strathearn Grove (Crieff)
Tay Thistle (Perth)
Vale of Atholl (Pitlochry)
Wolfhill (play in nearby village of Guildtown)

Blair Thistle of Blairgowrie are taking a year out, and Fair City of Ruthvenfield didn't start last season.

When I was younger I remember there were as many as 4 divisions, and over 40 clubs - with many villages that no longer have any representation, and Meigle, with around 600 people, having 2 teams, but now sadly with none.

Some clubs no longer playing in the PAFA that I can remember:  Some of the names turn up nothing in a Google search...

Kinross
Milnathort Royal
Dunning Heather
Crieff
Grandtully Vale
Meigle Victoria
Strathmore Albion (Meigle)
Newtyle Hearts
Glencarse United
Abernethy
Glenfarg United
Moulin City
Comrie Rovers
Stanley
Errol
Methven
Scone
Scone Aerodrome
Kenmore
Killin
Blairgowrie Amateurs
Guildtown
Almondvale (Almondbank?)
Star of Atholl (Blair Atholl)
Blair Atholl
Hunter's Village (Huntingtower?)
Pitcairn (Pitcairngreen)
Balbeggie
Portmoak (Kinross)
Dunkeld United

And a few teams from Perth:
Perth Royale, Roselea, Fairfield, Letham United, Perth Villarreal, Letham Lads, Gateway, Tulloch Thistle, Perth Celtic, Perth Caledonian (merged with Kinrossie), Perth United, Pitheavlis United, Friarton United, Friarton Rovers

Not as far as I remember (which is only back to the 80s admittedly!) - but they may well have done in the past - Newtyle is in Angus, but it comes under Blairgowrie for its post-town (which is of course in Perthshire), and is marginally closer to the latter.  They'd probably have been better off in terms of travelling in the Midlands AFA rather than having to travel to some of the Western and Northern Perthshire outposts like Crieff and Pitlochry.

Invergowrie is technically in Perthshire, but plays in the Midlands League, and formerly, Inchture Athletic, also in Perthshire, played in the same league. So it's possible Newtyle did the same. I guess it's the same with a lot of teams in many counties - closer to the county boundary, they may choose which county is best for them.  Kinross playing in Fife is another example.  Possibly Newtyle chose Perthshire so that they could be competitive, as they may have floundered close to the bottom of the Midlands league.

3 hours ago, mcruic said:

Not as far as I remember (which is only back to the 80s admittedly!) - but they may well have done in the past - Newtyle is in Angus, but it comes under Blairgowrie for its post-town (which is of course in Perthshire), and is marginally closer to the latter.  They'd probably have been better off in terms of travelling in the Midlands AFA rather than having to travel to some of the Western and Northern Perthshire outposts like Crieff and Pitlochry.

Invergowrie is technically in Perthshire, but plays in the Midlands League, and formerly, Inchture Athletic, also in Perthshire, played in the same league. So it's possible Newtyle did the same. I guess it's the same with a lot of teams in many counties - closer to the county boundary, they may choose which county is best for them.  Kinross playing in Fife is another example.  Possibly Newtyle chose Perthshire so that they could be competitive, as they may have floundered close to the bottom of the Midlands league.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking 60's-70's and seeing amateur results in the Courier and the Sporting Post.  You probably already know that in the juniors Perthshire sides Alyth United and Coupar Angus both played in the old Angus Junior League prior to reorganisation in the late 60's. 

Archived