If Scotland were...

DA Baracus

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm enjoying laughing at the fucking imbeciles who think we'd simply be hounded. We'd probably make a decent fist of getting out of the group and maybe even reach the knockouts with a kind draw. This is assuming that if we got there, we wouldn't have a submissive w**k like Strachan managing us, so might have some actual belief.

31 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I'm enjoying laughing at the fucking imbeciles who think we'd simply be hounded. We'd probably make a decent fist of getting out of the group and maybe even reach the knockouts with a kind draw. This is assuming that if we got there, we wouldn't have a submissive w**k like Strachan managing us, so might have some actual belief.

Based on what results in the past 18 years, exactly?

22 matches against non-European teams, 5 wins, only one of them against a team that's in Russia. We've just been beaten at home by Costa Rica, and were little more than training cones for Mexico and Peru.

Folk saying we'd do alright at a World Cup are like English fans saying they can win it.

30 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Based on what results in the past 18 years, exactly?

22 matches against non-European teams, 5 wins, only one of them against a team that's in Russia. We've just been beaten at home by Costa Rica, and were little more than training cones for Mexico and Peru.

Folk saying we'd do alright at a World Cup are like English fans saying they can win it.

So you’re basing our chances of doing well on... friendlies?

And having the lack of awareness to count the recent games against Mexico and Peru (two sides that are better than us, one of which only beat us 1-0 and are currently cigaring it towards the knockout stages after beating Germany) when we played what would genuinely be approaching a third string side.

And having the lack of awareness to count the recent games against Mexico and Peru (two sides that are better than us, one of which only beat us 1-0 and are currently cigaring it towards the knockout stages after beating Germany) when we played what would genuinely be approaching a third string side.
You obviously didn't watch those two games.

Yes we had a second string out but we barely touched the ball.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

You obviously didn't watch those two games.

Yes we had a second string out but we barely touched the ball.

I did, and I have no idea how a team of players who won’t be in the first team will affect the performances of the... actual first team?

I actually think with McLeish as manager we won’t get any success, but there’s a whole load of nonsense on this thread.

I did, and I have no idea how a team of players who won’t be in the first team will affect the performances of the... actual first team?
I actually think with McLeish as manager we won’t get any success, but there’s a whole load of nonsense on this thread.
You're certainly right about that last sentence.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

In fact maybe you’re all correct and we are a nation of losers - it’s clear the bulk of the fans certainly are, and seem to take strange enjoyment out of it.

You're being a bit daft here.

The reality is that Scotland should be qualifying for tournaments more frequently than we've managed in the last two decades.  It's also true that there are probably some sides at this finals, as at any other over the spell, who aren't vastly superior to us.  A couple of dozen other countries could however, make a similar claim, so it's pointless.

We can certainly point to literally nothing that suggests we'd be bound to win games against sides who are present.  If the Scottish cringe involves recognising reality, rather than bleating irrationally, I'll keep cringing thanks.

Based on what I've seen at this tournament, we're better than Tunisia - their defence is atrocious.  We'd be on a par with Panama and Saudi plus maybe 1 or 2 others. Everyone else - Iceland included - is definitely better than us. 

Iceland were very good against Argentina.  Ok, they were poor against Nigeria, but the temperature was 18 C higher than an Icelandic summer - you think Scotland would have played well in 32 C temperatures?  Even then they had the better of the 1st half.  Anyone saying we're better than Iceland is totally deluded.

See here’s the thing. Those games should really be written off. We had a semi literate oaf as manager, and our C team. You can’t make any judgement from the performances.

Except: the oaf will be manager for the next two years, and ranking points take these games into consideration.

So, here we are.

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

See here’s the thing. Those games should really be written off. We had a semi literate oaf as manager, and our C team. You can’t make any judgement from the performances.

Except: the oaf will be manager for the next two years, and ranking points take these games into consideration.

So, here we are.

Agree on the oaf part, but we won’t really see how good/bad he will be until he actually gets a couple of competitive games with a proper team. Or we can just keep going with the ‘we’re shite and always will be’ attitude. 

That cuts both ways. In some of those matches we played other countries' second-choice players, or when they weren't at their best.

Friendlies are all we have to go on because we're not good enough to play them any other time.

I didn't cherry-pick here. I took every single result this century. You can make excuses for one or two games, but 22? And no matches against Egypt, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Senegal, Chile or Colombia. Our results against the countries that regularly qualify for World Cups is awful.

How about we deal with facts instead of ifs and buts?

We would maybe even make the knock out stages now.

We should lobby FIFA to have a wildcard system so we can get to the World Cup. Once we get there we’ll tear the place up with our wonderful brand of football.

What is our away record like in qualifying games against decent sides over the last 20 years? Obviously we got hounded by England and Slovakia but we have had some decent results away from home, France and Croatia being the Stand-outs.

Scotland and just about everyone else who failed to qualify from UEFA deserved to be there more than Korea.
Last time we played South Korea they beat us 4-1, and that result didn't flatter them.

This is like what England fans would have been like if we'd had social media in 1994.

Archived