pretentious twattery (aka the finer things in life)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

DOC/DOCG wines as mentioned earlier.

I try and stick to cork sealed wine bottles and have a proper ‘waiters friend’ corkscrew.

Organic free range eggs (trust me, they are better).

German cars. They just are better.

Charcoal barbecue. How the f**k that gas fired nonsense caught on I’ll never know.

these things ^^^^^ (no so bothered about the shirts and jacket); got a second hand (leave it) VW Toerag last Autumn - finest thing I've ever driven

my only alteration - duck eggs = hens eggs, organic or otherwise, to the power of ∞

Guitars, I’ve got 2 gibsons, 2 martins, a taylor and a gretsch. Ive got a couple cheaper Epiphone guitars also and some ukes and a mandolin, I really like collecting them, most tend to hold their value as well. Can’t see me buying anything new for a while though but I get a lot of use out of them and the quality of a better guitar is very clear.

Guitars, I’ve got 2 gibsons, 2 martins, a taylor and a gretsch. Ive got a couple cheaper Epiphone guitars also and some ukes and a mandolin, I really like collecting them, most tend to hold their value as well. Can’t see me buying anything new for a while though but I get a lot of use out of them and the quality of a better guitar is very clear.
This very much so! Epiphones play well and are more than suitable for a practice guitar but start sticking it thru any big venue sound system and the difference between them and a Gibson becomes clear. 6 months hard gigging and an Epiphone's electrics are knackered, Gibsons go on and on, also the lacquer finish is sublime compared to the budget guiyar varnish finish.

This very much so! Epiphones play well and are more than suitable for a practice guitar but start sticking it thru any big venue sound system and the difference between them and a Gibson becomes clear. 6 months hard gigging and an Epiphone's electrics are knackered, Gibsons go on and on, also the lacquer finish is sublime compared to the budget guiyar varnish finish.

Yep, Epiphones are still great guitars but you can’t beat the better wood and components in decent handmade guitars.
I mostly gigged my Gibson and Martin 6 string and they stood up well to the abuse and still look and play brilliantly.

Gigged extensively in my earlier days with an epiphone and a budget PRS basically dictated by my skint studenty ways. Now I have a decent job and rake in enough to get decent guitars I barely play any more so no justification to splash out on a really nice one!

15 hours ago, The OP said:

Always assumed a Rolex, these days, is the same as a montblanc pen or louboutin shoes. That there’s really no justification for the price tag other than other wankers know it costs a lot of money.

Willing to be corrected by a master watchmaker telling me a £300 one is not as good though, as I don’t really know enough about it. I’m on pie and bovril though, so being ignorant didn’t stop me calling people wankers.

They are all hand made, takes a year to build one using the finest materials, and will also last forever if you look after it properly. Thank you.

23 hours ago, Darren said:

Everyone just letting this one pass? Fucking mental.

I was in digs with a chap who only wore his socks once. Just kept buying cheap pairs. I don't know if he did the same while working at home.

23 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

When he says "socks" he means his wife's tights, and when he says she "bought 48 pairs online" he means "I like to look myself in the eye in the mirror whilst pleasuring myself when wearing them"

Speaking-from-experience-type-post, imho...

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

They are all hand made, takes a year to build one using the finest materials, and will also last forever if you look after it properly. Thank you.

Quartz watches are made quickly and keep better time than a Rolex. I dunno if they will last forever but you could buy replacements until humans become extinct, evolve to no longer have arms or transcend time and space. Plus looking after a “nice” watch involves spending a fuckload on servicing.

I’m not actually that averse to a nice watch but in the days of quartz watches I do think, unless you’re the horological equivalent of a trainspotter, it’s a bit “look at the shiny shiny”.

In saying this, maybe I’m just transferring my current bitterness at having to buy an expensive engagement ring which is kind of like the female equivalent except worse. :lol:

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Speaking-from-experience-type-post, imho...

Can you even call yourself a man if you haven't stared yourself down whilst tugging yourself off in a pair of your wife's tights in front of a full length mirror? 

Archived