Retirement

I'd like to retire somewhere inexpensive where the sun shines most of the year and my pension will stretch to a good standard of life.
Mexico looks a possibility. A low cost of living and you can reside there as long as you don't work.
Spain is neddy and cliched. It has too many all-inclusive types.
Maybe Slovakia or Azerbaijan. What are they like?

Where else is cheap?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Cornwall is surprisingly cheap and you get the NHS which I'm led to believe is quite important to the older chaps and chapessess.

Well yes,  but it's NHS England.

I'd like to retire somewhere inexpensive where the sun shines most of the year and my pension will stretch to a good standard of life.
Mexico looks a possibility. A low cost of living and you can reside there as long as you don't work.
Where else is cheap?

Cuba. Singapore. Fife. Low cost of living box ticked. Can’t imagine there’s a lot of all inclusive types.

Singapore. Low cost of living box ticked. Can’t imagine there’s a lot of all inclusive types.

Easily one of the most expensive places I’ve been. Amazing place though.

I’d go back just for the zoo.

Easily one of the most expensive places I’ve been. Amazing place though.

I’d go back just for the zoo.

Ah okay, I just checked a cost of living website (I was meant to be heading that way towards the end of the year) and it looked cheap - £20/30 a meal and stuff. Glad to be corrected seeing as I can’t go now, stag do in Prague instead.

I'll be able to access my not too shabby a pension pot in the not too distant future and I will be sitting in hot climes.

But I'm retiring here when the time is right and it'll be month long holidays, and maybe a decent static caravan down the East Neuk of Fife.

Mind you stopping work in my mid 50's may not be the best idea.

1 minute ago, Piracy said:

I'll be able to access my not too shabby a pension pot in the not too distant future and I will be sitting in hot climes.

But I'm retiring here when the time is right and it'll be month long holidays, and maybe a decent static caravan down the East Neuk of Fife.

Mind you stopping work in my mid 50's may not be the best idea.

Not trying to be glib, being early retired isn't for everyone. You need to be able to amuse yourself as most folk you know will be working. My missus can't amuse herself when she has a few days off, my Zen like laziness  works in my favour on this  occasion. There's also the financials to consider but I guess you've thought about that.

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Not trying to be glib, being early retired isn't for everyone. You need to be able to amuse yourself as most folk you know will be working. My missus can't amuse herself when she has a few days off, my Zen like laziness  works in my favour on this  occasion. There's also the financials to consider but I guess you've thought about that.

*cough*

That's Mozza you're thinking about.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Where else is cheap?

Saw a programme about nomads in Mongolia who are losing offspring to the Xbox and modern stuff.

If you don't mind walking. 

17 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Finances isn't the issue, or rather won't be, but filling in time would be the issue.

I'm a worker, always have been. Like a bit of graft but older I get the more I like the idea of getting up and deciding what to do. I'd likely get involved in charity work of some sort.

Archived