Various club name issues

mcruic

55 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

The club's names date from a time when Nottingham city was indeed within Nottinghamshire. Surely we don't expect clubs to be renamed with every  daft local government reorganisation?

No, I'm not claiming they should change the names, but these events did throw up this oddity. Nottingham Forest was already "odd" though, as also before the reorganisation their ground wasn't based in the city (back then a borough within the county of Nottinghamshire), but in the district of West Bridgford.

24 minutes ago, Markka said:

I think Sporting Kansas City in the MLS are the only major sports team to actually play in Kansas state.

A better instance than Zen Archer's would be New York Red Bulls, who don't play in New York city or state, but over the border in Harrison, New Jersey, albeit not that far from NYC proper.

Same deal as both the New York NFL teams who play in East Rutherford, NJ. I suppose calling yourself a New Yprk team has more cachet with sponsors and so on that having to admit you're actually from Jersey. Only sports team I can think of that actually own up to coming from there are the Jersey Devils of the NHL.

There's a fair few NFL teams that don't actually play in the city they're named after - the 49ers play in Santa Clara these days which is like 50 miles from San Francisco.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

To add to the Nottingham fun the names of the grounds are equally wrong, as Notts Co play at the County Ground which is in the city and not the county.

and Nottingham Forest play at the City Ground which is in the county and not the city.

No, Notts County's ground is called Meadow Lane.

The County Ground is where Swindon Town play.

32 minutes ago, archieb said:

No, Notts County's ground is called Meadow Lane.

The County Ground is where Swindon Town play.

Locally it sometimes gets called "County Ground". I used to live in the area. But you're right that it isn't the actual name of the ground.

Edited by Marten

4 hours ago, blairdardie bankie said:

Did Perth not used to be known as Saint johns town hence the name?

Correct.  That's the origin of the name but it but if you didn't know that you'd have no idea where to go to find St Johnstone's ground.

3 hours ago, Jason King said:

I honestly don't know anyone in Scotland who refers to the ugly sisters as "Glasgow....."

It's just really used outside of Scotland to let people know where the teams come from.  I used to be abroad when the European draws were made and I saw Hibs written in a French paper as Edinburgh Hibernian.  Funniest one though was Airdrie Onions!  A long time ago, I know.

18 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Oh, and you won't find Partick Thistle in Partick.

18 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Port Vale, Arsenal?

No, you won't find them there, either.

5 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

To add to the Nottingham fun the names of the grounds are equally wrong, as Notts Co play at the County Ground which is in the city and not the county.

and Nottingham Forest play at the City Ground which is in the county and not the city.

I thought they played at Meadow Lane?

ETA: As has already been pointed out...

Edited by Jacksgranda

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Same deal as both the New York NFL teams who play in East Rutherford, NJ. I suppose calling yourself a New Yprk team has more cachet with sponsors and so on that having to admit you're actually from Jersey. Only sports team I can think of that actually own up to coming from there are the Jersey Devils of the NHL.

There's a fair few NFL teams that don't actually play in the city they're named after - the 49ers play in Santa Clara these days which is like 50 miles from San Francisco.

What Kansas City are they from. I’m sure the US has two. 

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

New Jersey Nets I think of the NBA.

43 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Are New York Red Bulls considered the same club as the old Metrostars? They were the New York/New Jersey Metrostars for a while weren't they? Or is it a different club entirely?

It's the same club, taken over by Red Bull.

It's pretty much a continuous urban sprawl around the SF bay area but as you say it's about 50 miles from the old ground at Candlestick Park.

Similarly, the Dallas Cowboys now play in Arlington which is also part of a huge urban area of Fort Worth-Arlington-Dallas.

Petershill were formed after St. Mungo's were disbanded. The purpose of the meeting at which we were founded was to form a new team to represent Townhead and Springburn, so I can only guess they went for Petershill as the name as it bridges the other two areas.