P&B Ex-Pats and Dual Citizenship

MSU

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

If you travel overseas wouldn’t it be cheaper as it’s a one off fee instead of having to apply for a resident return visa every 5 years or whatever the time frame is? Plus you get the pleasure of voting.

"of having to vote", Shirley?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The US have the most strict border controls I have encountered on my travels. When  on holiday there once I was taken into a side office and questioned in depth about my passport visa's and travels, my job at the time had seen me working in China, Russia and Yemen. 

You should have had your Kalashnikov in your hand luggage, no problems then.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last interrogation I got, courtesy of my other half hassling me for a photo:

Had a similar experience at International Falls / Fort Frances where me and the missus walked across a bridge between the US and Canada. The Canadian border officials couldn't have been nicer and accepted our explanation that "we just wanted a wee nose around for half an hour" just fine, told us to enjoy our stay etc. Coming back into the US, the guy was a total c**t and kept us for 15 minutes while he pretended to type things into his computer.

I just recently became a permanent resident of Canada and plan to apply for citizenship as soon as I can, I need to have lived in Canada for 1095 days, and for everyday I lived here as a temporary resident I can only count as half a day, up to a total of 365 days, so I have around two more years before I can apply. Like others have said, I would like the right to vote here. My fiancee (Canadian citizen by birth) is keen on trying to get UK Citizenship, I don't see the point to be honest though as we have no plans to move from Canada.

I'd like to own a Canadian passport even if it's just to make trips to the US easier. Last time I visited Buffalo for a couple of NHL games I went with my missus, my mate and his missus. Mate's missus didn't even have her passport, just her Indian Status Card, no problems until I hand over my British passport,  pulled into the office and interviewed for half hour explaining I have a job, an apartment and a girlfriend in Canada and have no desire to remain in the USA.  

I did some research recently on the differences between the US and UK Immigration processes. There are a lot of similarities but the term Permanent Resident doesn't exist in the UK process. Instead, it's called an Indefinite Leave to Remain, which couldn't be more British if it tried.

Immigration procedures and laws show what a pathetic, petty, snivelling bag of shite humans can be.

It’s laughable really. Folk should be allowed to go to any country they want, when they want, for however long they want. They should be allowed to live and work where they want for as long as they want. Folk shouldn’t have to apply for Visas to go somewhere. Folk shouldn’t have to become citizens of a country for certain things.

It’s all just about greed and privilege and control. Obviously absolutely none of this will ever come close to ever happening, indeed will never come close to even being considered for a nanosecond.

It should though. Passports should get to f**k as well. You shouldn’t need a stupid document to go to another country.

Immigration procedures and laws show what a pathetic, petty, snivelling bag of shite humans can be.

It’s laughable really. Folk should be allowed to go to any country they want, when they want, for however long they want. They should be allowed to live and work where they want for as long as they want. Folk shouldn’t have to apply for Visas to go somewhere. Folk shouldn’t have to become citizens of a country for certain things.

It’s all just about greed and privilege and control. Obviously absolutely none of this will ever come close to ever happening, indeed will never come close to even being considered for a nanosecond.

It should though. Passports should get to f**k as well. You shouldn’t need a stupid document to go to another country.

Your post is correct in so many ways, but like Marxism & true communism, is great in theory but can’t work in practice.
For it to work, it would mean that everyone on earth had your view & wouldn’t be possible influenced by personal greed.

No. I'm staying British until the Scottish passport is available.
Very difficult here to become a citizen, there is not many benefits. Voting is rigged, so no point.
I have to apply every year for an extension of visa and every 90 day report to immigration that my circumstances have no changed. Used to a hassle, but now they opened a immigration office about 5km from my house.
I'm in the process of getting my son a British passport....

19 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I'm in the process of getting my son a British passport....

I haven't bothered yet as I cannot be arsed renewing every so often - I'll get around to it sometime later if it makes sense.

I haven't bothered yet as I cannot be arsed renewing every so often - I'll get around to it sometime later if it makes sense.

Got the daughter a UK passport, just shy of £100 and over 6 weeks to arrange. Her Indonesian passport was about £10 and done in 3 days.

You can register an overseas birth in the UK for about £60, seems no practical reason to actually doing it.

On 19/06/2018 at 16:34, DA Baracus said:

As Blades has said, the principle is correct and I completely agree with it. It’s a very strange thing to comprehend that people’s movements are so closely controlled by governments.

However, it is completely unpractical in reality. The problems with over-population, international terrorism etc would be huge if the world did away with passports and border controls.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:27, Torpar said:

I just recently became a permanent resident of Canada and plan to apply for citizenship as soon as I can, I need to have lived in Canada for 1095 days, and for everyday I lived here as a temporary resident I can only count as half a day, up to a total of 365 days, so I have around two more years before I can apply. Like others have said, I would like the right to vote here. My fiancee (Canadian citizen by birth) is keen on trying to get UK Citizenship, I don't see the point to be honest though as we have no plans to move from Canada.

I'd like to own a Canadian passport even if it's just to make trips to the US easier. Last time I visited Buffalo for a couple of NHL games I went with my missus, my mate and his missus. Mate's missus didn't even have her passport, just her Indian Status Card, no problems until I hand over my British passport,  pulled into the office and interviewed for half hour explaining I have a job, an apartment and a girlfriend in Canada and have no desire to remain in the USA.  

Become one of us!!

From a practical standpoint it's better anyways if you plan to travel back and forth, my sisters' fella is English and has been a permanent resident for something like 10 years and hasn't bothered to get his citizenship, two years ago when they went to England he was denied boarding their return flight at Heathrow because his permanent resident card was out of date.  

Also, people mention tough border guards, the toughest one I had was actually in Scotland lol.  This was in 2008 landing at Prestwick on a Ryanair flight from Belgium and I was pretty much the only person without an EU passport so the fat border guard took me aside for like 15 minutes asking inane questions about some of the stamps in my passport.  

16 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Got the daughter a UK passport, just shy of £100 and over 6 weeks to arrange. Her Indonesian passport was about £10 and done in 3 days.

You can register an overseas birth in the UK for about £60, seems no practical reason to actually doing it.

My point exactly.  I can understand the point of getting a UK passport if a lot of travel is intended, especially to the UK.  If not, I don't see any great benefit as, as far as I understand, my son can apply for a UK passport anytime in his life by virtue of having a British father - so I saw no point in the hassle and cost of getting one for now.  Yes, I enquired about registering the birth and was advised there is no real need as long as the birth is properly registered in the place of birth. 

On 6/20/2018 at 03:34, DA Baracus said:

Spot on.  
I've lived away from the UK for 20 years and kept thinking that travelling around would get easier and easier with less need for Visas etc , in fact its getting worse!
More and more I see countries tightening up who to let in and how difficult they are going to make it.  

My point exactly.  I can understand the point of getting a UK passport if a lot of travel is intended, especially to the UK.  If not, I don't see any great benefit as, as far as I understand, my son can apply for a UK passport anytime in his life by virtue of having a British father - so I saw no point in the hassle and cost of getting one for now.  Yes, I enquired about registering the birth and was advised there is no real need as long as the birth is properly registered in the place of birth. 

Yes my understanding as well, as long as you have a properly registered birth certificate in the country of birth and a notorised translation if required (don't think thats needed for Philippines). Your son can get a UK passport anytime.

You legally must register an overseas birth for an Indonesian, again it was something like £2 and done in 24 hours.

The costs the UK charge are ridiculous.

When I lived in Hungary, many years ago. You submitted your passport for renewal to the Embassy, it went on the diplomatic bag that day and you got your new passport a week later for pretty much the cost of getting it in the UK.

Now its all outsourced for profit.

My wife applied for a visa to go to the UK on holiday last year and it was ridiculous. Again outsourced and the length of time is ridiculous and they offer 'bolt on services' to quicken the process, get updates (texts are something like £2 a pop), etc.

15 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Yes my understanding as well, as long as you have a properly registered birth certificate in the country of birth and a notorised translation if required (don't think thats needed for Philippines). Your son can get a UK passport anytime.

You legally must register an overseas birth for an Indonesian, again it was something like £2 and done in 24 hours.

The costs the UK charge are ridiculous.

When I lived in Hungary, many years ago. You submitted your passport for renewal to the Embassy, it went on the diplomatic bag that day and you got your new passport a week later for pretty much the cost of getting it in the UK.

Now its all outsourced for profit.

My wife applied for a visa to go to the UK on holiday last year and it was ridiculous. Again outsourced and the length of time is ridiculous and they offer 'bolt on services' to quicken the process, get updates (texts are something like £2 a pop), etc.

My son was born in Hong Kong and the certificate is in English already so no worries there.  We did have to register the birth with the Philippine Embassy there though, but not that expensive or difficult to do.  

Same here with renewing - I did it in Hong Kong 7 or 8 years ago - about same as UK cost and back in a week.  

My main concern with renewing is we need to send the original - the risk of losing it worries me more than a little.  I suppose i'll need to send it LBC and bear the 2,500php+ cost!

My son was born in Hong Kong and the certificate is in English already so no worries there.  We did have to register the birth with the Philippine Embassy there though, but not that expensive or difficult to do.  
Same here with renewing - I did it in Hong Kong 7 or 8 years ago - about same as UK cost and back in a week.  
My main concern with renewing is we need to send the original - the risk of losing it worries me more than a little.  I suppose i'll need to send it LBC and bear the 2,500php+ cost!

Not an easy thing to do, but get a second UK Passport. That way you can breathe a little easier. You need to justify having it and supply proof as they don't issue second passports easily. Once you have one its a breeze and gives peace of mind when you have to send one away.

I always found LBC to be quite reliable, I think they are too busy theiving from the balikbayan boxes to worry about small packages ;-)

8 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Not an easy thing to do, but get a second UK Passport. That way you can breathe a little easier. You need to justify having it and supply proof as they don't issue second passports easily. Once you have one its a breeze and gives peace of mind when you have to send one away.

I always found LBC to be quite reliable, I think they are too busy theiving from the balikbayan boxes to worry about small packages ;-)

I don't really need the passport for anything in particular, but  a pain to replace if lost.  I'll just take the hit on LBC and then it should be OK.  I have used them a few times without any problem as you say - It's only once every 10 years so I can live with it.  

Archived