P&B Ex-Pats and Dual Citizenship

MSU

Just wondering if any of the ex-pats on P&B have taken the plunge and applied for citizenship in their adopted homelands?  What made you go for it, or what's swaying you against it?

I moved over here in 2012 and I was quite determined to get to my Green Card and stop there. I'm quite happy being Scottish, and being away from Scotland just amplifies that, IMO. Plus, I thought my mammy would fucking hate the idea. She got cancer in 2014 and passed away a year later but before she died, I got back home and we had this discussion one night where I said I imagined her disapproval at me becoming a US Citizen. She basically said she DGAF, it was just a piece of paper, I was still her wee laddie (42 y.o. at that point) and I should stop being so stupid. Then the orange fuckwomble came into office and although I was now thinking about it, pledging allegiance to a flag in a room with his picture in it didn't appeal much to me and I decided to park the idea for 4 years. Or 8 years. No, surely just 4 years. Then my missus decided to run for public office in our county and I thought it would be better if I could vote for her, so application and $750 was sent off last week. It might not come through in time, but the cogs are finally in motion. Feels weird in a way. I'll have a bit of paper that says I'm American. I'll have a passport that'll say the same. I'll always be Scottish, though. And I'm kinda pissed off that I'll have to hand my Green Card in. I love that card. It cost a lot of money.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lived in Oz since 1980, became a citizen in 1984. My youngest daughter was born here, wanted to vote plus some government jobs you had to be a citizen. Also having an Aussie passport meant I could easily return if I wanted to work somewhere else for a prolonged period. It also helped improve the IQ here. Aussie passport made it easier to travel as didn't have the expense of renewing visas and that sort of shite. Using UK passport made it easier to enter UK, no lining up in the other nationalities queue, and EU. Did not renew my UK passport when it expired in 2016 as don't travel as much.

1 minute ago, Eednud said:

Lived in Oz since 1980, became a citizen in 1984. My youngest daughter was born here, wanted to vote plus some government jobs you had to be a citizen. Also having an Aussie passport meant I could easily return if I wanted to work somewhere else for a prolonged period. It also helped improve the IQ here. Aussie passport made it easier to travel as didn't have the expense of renewing visas and that sort of shite. Using UK passport made it easier to enter UK, no lining up in the other nationalities queue, and EU. Did not renew my UK passport when it expired in 2016 as don't travel as much.

I wondered about that two passport thing. So if I have an EU/British passport and a US passport, I guess there's nothing to stop me flying into the UK on the EU/British one and then flying back to the US on the US one? In my head, the imbalance would cause problems but I don't suppose there's any reason that it would. Guessing you never had any issues?

I wondered about that two passport thing. So if I have an EU/British passport and a US passport, I guess there's nothing to stop me flying into the UK on the EU/British one and then flying back to the US on the US one? In my head, the imbalance would cause problems but I don't suppose there's any reason that it would. Guessing you never had any issues?

Not sure if authorities tightened up on things but would imagine US might have issues with it but others will know more about this. I never had any issues but around late 2000’s early 2010’s started used my Australian passport for entering/departing EU partly to actually get the passport stamped plus I was usually only transiting through UK or entering EU at another destination. I then decided just to stop using my UK passport.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if authorities tightened up on things but would imagine US might have issues with it but others will know more about this. I never had any issues but around late 2000’s early 2010’s started used my Australian passport for entering/departing EU partly to actually get the passport stamped plus I was usually only transiting through UK or entering EU at another destination. I then decided just to stop using my UK passport.

So after 34 years, do you think of yourself as Scottish or British or Australian?

1 hour ago, MSU said:

Surely there would be an issue as you would be logged as entering the country but not leaving?  Then you would be logged as entering the USA so you'd be registered in 2 places at once.

Just now, hk blues said:

Surely there would be an issue as you would be logged as entering the country but not leaving?  Then you would be logged as entering the USA so you'd be registered in 2 places at once.

That's what I thought. But I remember my mate's wife managed to do just this without issue. Albeit, she was an American who became a UK citizen. I dunno. I'd probably be too feart.

2 minutes ago, MSU said:

That's what I thought. But I remember my mate's wife managed to do just this without issue. Albeit, she was an American who became a UK citizen. I dunno. I'd probably be too feart.

I suppose it can be done, but it's the sort of thing that may only show up sometime in the future.  I wouldn't take the chance just to avoid a bit of time queuing up at immigration.

So after 34 years, do you think of yourself as Scottish or British or Australian?

Don’t think you can ever stop being Scottish. Australian for government and other official forms or to confuse people when travelling and they ask you where you’re from. Have never thought of myself as British. When it comes to football though Australian even if against Scotland. If it was Australia v Scotland in rugby union or cricket then Scottish.

Been in Australia for 23 years and not taken Australian citizenship. I really can't see the point of it.

If you travel overseas wouldn’t it be cheaper as it’s a one off fee instead of having to apply for a resident return visa every 5 years or whatever the time frame is? Plus you get the pleasure of voting.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nah. Leave USA on your yank passport. Show your UK passport on arrival in Britain. Returning, show your UK passport at British border control, then produce the american one on returning to the US.  As far as  America's  border force knows, you left, then came back. From the UK's POV you arrived, then left. 

3 minutes ago, Eednud said:

If you travel overseas wouldn’t it be cheaper as it’s a one off fee instead of having to apply for a resident return visa every 5 years or whatever the time frame is? Plus you get the pleasure of voting.

Not been back home for 10 years and don't think I'll be back anytime soon. 

The US have the most strict border controls I have encountered on my travels. When  on holiday there once I was taken into a side office and questioned in depth about my passport visa's and travels, my job at the time had seen me working in China, Russia and Yemen. 

37 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The US have the most strict border controls I have encountered on my travels. When  on holiday there once I was taken into a side office and questioned in depth about my passport visa's and travels, my job at the time had seen me working in China, Russia and Yemen. 

Last interrogation I got, courtesy of my other half hassling me for a photo:

US Border Control Guy:  "Why do you wish to enter my country?"

Me:  "To get a picture of Niagara Falls from your viewpoint"

US BCG:  "How long will you be staying in the United States?"

Me: "Around half an hour"

US BCG:

4eab9431f3d587f0789274d826354eb0.png

Been here 6 years and not considering it yet, but it is something I will look at in time. Currently considering buying property here and if we have kids, I would be staying here until they are old enough to support themselves(What do you mean that never happens?...) so at that point it would make sense from a practical point of view. Doesn't seem to be any real benefit to it though, aside from getting to vote. Wouldn't change my tax or residency status and any kids would be entitled to a Swiss passport through her anyway, so it would mostly be a box ticking thing. Waiting to see how Brexit pans out really, as I guess that could change a few things.

I got my Hong Kong residency after 7 years but lost it after being away for more than 3 years.  No great loss.  Almost impossible to get citizenship for the Philippines, and no real advantage to having it other than voting - I have residency anyway so no need for visas etc.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Been here 6 years and not considering it yet, but it is something I will look at in time. Currently considering buying property here and if we have kids, I would be staying here until they are old enough to support themselves(What do you mean that never happens?...) so at that point it would make sense from a practical point of view. Doesn't seem to be any real benefit to it though, aside from getting to vote. Wouldn't change my tax or residency status and any kids would be entitled to a Swiss passport through her anyway, so it would mostly be a box ticking thing. Waiting to see how Brexit pans out really, as I guess that could change a few things.

Exactly why I want to eventually leave this ruddy island!

Archived