Colombia v Japan (the hot one)

Cerberus

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Steve McQueen said:

More free kick goals in the 1st round of fixtures in 2018 than the whole 2014 world cup.

2010 was great fun with every free-kick either landing in Egypt, or going in around 40 different directions before landing in the top corner. 

It’s a yellow if it’s unintentional, making it a yellow for intentional handball would be madness.

I think there’s a difference between what happened and outright intentional handball though, there was no movement towards the ball (perhaps because his arm was already in the right place) and the shot was from relatively close and hard.

Did he intentionally have his arm out meaning there was a possibility the ball could hit it? Yes. Did he make a movement towards he ball to divert it? No.

In my opinion there should be a difference in the rules in that case, similar to the double jeopardy rule for “making an attempt to play the ball”.

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s a yellow if it’s unintentional, making it a yellow for intentional handball would be madness.

20 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

That hasn't been suggested here, has it? Handball should be the same as any other situation. Deliberate gets a red card. I don't think it matters if it's deliberate or not at the moment.

A deliberate handball is a yellow card in the laws of the game. It's only a red if it's denying a goal scoring opportunity.

A non-deliberate handball is no card and in principle no foul either.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

A deliberate handball is a yellow card in the laws of the game. It's only a red if it's denying a goal scoring opportunity.

A non-deliberate handball is no card and in principle no foul either.

Deliberate handball is not an automatic yellow card.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I think there’s a difference between what happened and outright intentional handball though, there was no movement towards the ball (perhaps because his arm was already in the right place) and the shot was from relatively close and hard.

Did he intentionally have his arm out meaning there was a possibility the ball could hit it? Yes. Did he make a movement towards he ball to divert it? No.

In my opinion there should be a difference in the rules in that case, similar to the double jeopardy rule for “making an attempt to play the ball”.

Aye fair enough, thought you were claiming that the Suarez-type incident should only be a yellow.

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

Deliberate handball is not an automatic yellow card.

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/datdz0pms85gbnqy4j3k.pdf - page 121

Ok, it's only mentioned a deliberate handball a yellow (caution) if it's to prevent possession or trying to score a goal, but that's the vast majority of deliberate handballs. Main point is that it's not a red unless it's denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Archived