Tunisia v England

Cerberus

Yeah it's generally the media which turn a lot of people against them. I like Lineker, but I try to rationalise it by thinking how would our commentators be if Scotland were winning/ progressing in a tournament. Fucking hard to remember to be fair!

Belgium have some great players but still don't seem a team. I think Belgium v England will be a lot closer than a lot of people on here seem to think.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England v Tunisia is the only game I've seen live - although I missed the first 15 minutes, so can't comment on how "brilliant" England were for the opening quarter of an hour.

I have to admit England played well, and I was bitterly disappointed they scored a late winner, although they probably deserved it. :bairn

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

The over-reaction from Lineker was disappointing - he seems like a decent bloke, but they certainly weren't anything like as good as he seemed to think. and it's that kind of over-reaction that makes them so easy to dislike.  It's also completely counterproductive, and directly leads to the hideous personal attacks they were highlighting in the  build up to the game.

It's the first time I've really noticed punditry teams do that.  In the mainstream media, it's pretty obvious.  They like to drive their agenda, picking on certain figures in the hope they'll cost the team, or building things to one extreme in the hope that they can get attention for slamming into reverse at the first opportunity.

Those punditing always seemed above that.  They'll be biased, obviously, but more in a way of just wanting - hoping, really - for England to do well.  But the coverage yesterday did go over the top.  They were talking like England had put together a brilliant and blistering half of football, when all they'd really done was dominate for about 15 mins (admittedly playing pretty well) while being very poor in front of goal.  To be fair though, in the last four years, they've been served up some absolute pish by England.  Relatively at least.  They were absolutely dreadful at the World Cup, and not much better in the Euros outside of struggling past Wales.  They've started fairly well, so it's probably a bit of a nosebleed moment.  I doubt it would be much different to how we'd be reacting once we finally stumble into a tournament.  The moment we play somewhat above expectations, there'll be all kinds of absolute nonsense spouted in a similar style.

It's harmless, ultimately, but it won't endear coverage of England to anyone who already doesn't like it. 

No surprise to see the wannabe Little Englanders only crawl out from under their stones at the end of the game.  

England are one of those teams that are always likely to nick a goal in the dying moments so it was also no surprise to see them get a late winner.  You don't deserve to win a game if you play well in spells, dominate the game and miss a load of chances.  You only deserve it if you score the most goals.

Lineker's ego over the years seems to have grown more than his general popularity. His arm movements have grown even more than both and he's obviously now one of the great thinkers and debaters of our time. 

The England chat during games not involving them doesn't generally bother me.  I think though, as someone else mentioned, there is a time and place for it.

Spain v Portugal first half was excellent and there were a number of incidents to be discussed. They could have spent the entire half time break talking about it but we got an interview with Raheem Sterling instead.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Yeah it's generally the media which turn a lot of people against them. I like Lineker, but I try to rationalise it by thinking how would our commentators be if Scotland were winning/ progressing in a tournament. Fucking hard to remember to be fair!

Belgium have some great players but still don't seem a team. I think Belgium v England will be a lot closer than a lot of people on here seem to think.

Assuming that England and Belgium both win their second games, I doubt whether either team would play anything like their first choice XI in that game. The path through the knockout rounds looks like it will be harder for whoever finishes first in that group, and resting the top players maybe gives them a small advantage for the last 16 game (avoiding injuries / suspensions).

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Still slightly seething with that Tunisian boy, in stoppage time, deciding to dribble the ball behind for a corner rather than booting it up for the park or conceding a throw-in. 

Woy

Plus the indisputable fact that 100% of the ball hadn't gone out of play to allow the corner.  Don't be fooled by the linesman standing two yards away looking directly at the line and ball with a perfectly clear view, the TV angle could be interpreted differently so he's blatantly wrong.

15 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

c***s.

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

f**k

15 hours ago, Slenderman said:

f**k

15 hours ago, Eoin Doyle said:

f**k off 

15 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

boooooo

15 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Baws.

15 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

f**k sake 

15 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Aw shit!

15 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

f**k... 

15 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Dear God no

15 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

b*****ds and bollocks.

15 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Filthy speech impedimented c**t.

15 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Cvnts!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 

Cheers for the entertainment, boys. The thread makes for great reading - topped off last night's celebrations perfectly. One day you might get to celebrate yours scoring a goal in a major tournament. Maybe. 

7 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Cheers for the entertainment, boys. The thread makes for great reading - topped off last night's celebrations perfectly. One day you might get to celebrate yours scoring a goal in a major tournament. Maybe. 

Ive celebrated all of Scotland's 13 goals at world cups (since 1982), thank you very much. 

9 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Appearing after it's all over like a proper snivelling shitebag. :lol:

I hope you're not referring to M M, there?

55 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Your country wins a WC game with a last minute goal and your main source of enjoyment is a few posts on P&B. What a riddy.

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Done that several times already! :thumsup2

You're thick as well as deluded. :lol:

Archived