Sweden v South Korea (the big one)

Cerberus

Just popped in to say that Ally McCoist is an excellent co-commentator. Knows when to speak, is interesting and entertaining and (unlike Glenn Hoddle) doesn't hate disabled people.

Hope we hear him more often.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Compare and contrast to that studio panel. An abysmal dour showing. Whoever selected them as worth thousands of pounds for a few week jolly at the World Cup needs their head checked.  Or even if it's a jolly to a London studio!  The presenter tries too hard but might become decent when she settles down a bit.

To be fair to her she`s probably anxious that Giggsy might have negotiated shagging rights into his contract.

I think the potential to break up the momentum of the play is probably VAR's biggest downside, at the moment. I thought that in stoppage-time of Costa Rica v Serbia yesterday, with Costa Rica's impetus being interrupted by a lengthy review that only produced a booking, and which also gave Serbia some useful respite from a period of pressure whilst defending a one-goal lead.

I suppose any such innovation is going to have some flaws, though. I have to say, it has gone better than I expected it to thus far. Clearly used well for the Sweden penalty decision, although it would have been frustrating for South Korea if it hadn't been so clear-cut and the referee had decided against giving a penalty, and, as a result, a promising attack had been needlessly ended.

On the punditry point, they're obviously aimed at the casual viewer and need to be recognisable. Unfortunately the average P and B'er pouring over the details of VAR and questioning the insightfulness of each commentator isn't the atypical viewer! 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

From watching Larsson, he seems pretty good at picking up on other points that people have made, but not so good when asked directly himself.

He would probably be more suited to a Linekar-style presenting role, but he is pretty poor as a pundit.

Funny you say that, cos I think the opposite!  I think he displays a real lack of passion or enthusiasm when speaking and I would really struggle to listen to him as a presenter.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

... it lead to Sweden not giving a shit about the Korean break for moaning at the ref. That's all one thing but what if that call never came in for a review and play continued as normal. 

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good point. I`d have thought they should see out what was a decent break for Korea. 

Presumably if Korea had scored the goal would have been disallowed if VAR confirmed the pen but would have stood if penalty not given??

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think the passage of play should really be completed. I mean, what if the ref went back, looked at it and decided he was correct? He's then made the call to break up a counter attack and would have to give a drop ball. 

absolutely the passage of play should be allowed to continue - it might finally teach players to "play to the whistle" and discourage them from dancing about like arseholes appealing for penalties, waving pretend cards at the officials and general fuckwittery

a goal scored on the break against an isolated goalkeeper, while his team-mates whinge like stuck pigs 85 yards away about a VAR call that goes against them would be just about the most amusing thing ever to happen in the whole history of football; apart from many and varied Leeds United related misfortunes, of course...

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Just popped in to say that Ally McCoist is an excellent co-commentator. Knows when to speak, is interesting and entertaining and (unlike Glenn Hoddle) doesn't hate disabled people.

Hope we hear him more often.

Infinitely more enjoyable than 'Lawro' or Fanny Murphy etc etc 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

On the punditry point, they're obviously aimed at the casual viewer and need to be recognisable. Unfortunately the average P and B'er pouring over the details of VAR and questioning the insightfulness of each commentator isn't the atypical viewer! 

Has it been confirmed that we are the social elite yet?

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Funny you say that, cos I think the opposite!  I think he displays a real lack of passion or enthusiasm when speaking and I would really struggle to listen to him as a presenter.

I didn't say he'd be good at it, just that he would be more suited to the style!

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anyone supporting Sweden needs their head checked.  They willingly select Mikael Lustig ffs.

With any luck, he has a wonderful World Cup and Celtic decide they don't need to replace him. 

7 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Infinitely more enjoyable than 'Lawro' or Fanny Murphy etc etc 

Absolutely. He doesn't treat it like life and death as they do. He just sounds like he's enjoying it.

Would have been a really interesting situation if SK had scored, then the VAR penalty was given and Sweden scored it. From 1-0 to Korea to 1-0 Sweden! 

That situation will happen at some point, and all hell will break loose when it does.

Archived