Montrose Roselea on the move again!

tellyboy

This time its not a move to a new Region though.

MONTROSE ROSELEA REACH LINKS PARK GROUNDSHARE AGREEMENT

Montrose FC and Montrose Roselea JFC have agreed a deal that will see the Junior side play their home matches at Links Park for an initial one season trial. Both clubs hope this will extend to a ‘ground’ breaking long-term arrangement, being one of the first between a Junior and Senior side in Scotland. This has been ratified by the North Region Juniors and the SJFA with Roselea also retaining the right to play on their current pitch at Broomfield Park in the future.

With links between all clubs in the Angus town becoming stronger, the move makes both commercial sense as well as providing all levels of football with the best possible facilities to develop and progress the game.

Roy Gill, Montrose Roselea General Manager said, “This is a great move forward for both clubs and will provide us with much needed stability for the future.

“Maintaining our current ground, Broomfield Park is a year-round activity, and often we only use it once a fortnight. With very little payback, this makes the upkeep expensive for a small club like ourselves.

“Making use of the fantastic facilities at Links Park will open up the potential for us to do more with our Matchday Hospitality and other fundraising events.”

Roselea President, Stuart Robertson added, “Some of our fans will be naturally concerned, as ground sharing at Links Park had previously been done on what was then a grass pitch back in the 60- 80’s. However, I believe the time is right to try again.

“Like most Junior clubs we have a shrinking Committee with only 5 members today, a third of what we had a decade ago. Myself and Roy hold all the Office Bearer positions and that is not healthy, so we hope this move can attract some new blood to the club.

“We have played three games at Links Park as an experiment over the last two seasons and each time we more than doubled our average gate. When we sat down and looked at the positives it was a no brainer and we are delighted and excited to be making this move.”

John Crawford, Montrose FC Chairman added, “I am really pleased to have reached agreement with Stuart and Roy on this trial deal as I am sure it will create a win-win-win situation for not only ourselves, but also Roselea and the town.

“The community spirit in the town and surrounding area right now is the most positive it has been for many, many years and this deal will simply add to this and strengthen the existing relationship between the two clubs.

“As part of the agreement, the intention is our charitable arm, the Links Park Community Trust will be handed the lease on Broomfield Park for use by Montrose Amateur FC, Montrose Ladies FC and Montrose Youth FC after a successful trial year, giving all three clubs possibly the best facilities in Scotland for their level.

Roy commented, “It has taken a bit of work to get to this stage and I would like to thank John and everyone at Montrose FC for their support. I am sure opposing teams will look forward to playing on a great surface in great surroundings – just as long as it doesn’t give them too much of an incentive to beat us! However, our home form at Broomfield Park has been the poorest for a long while, so it may be a stroke of genius moving at this time.”

The photo shows John (centre) with Roy (left) and Stuart.

Links Park Agreement.jpg

Makes sense this move, although with the lack of fixture lists in the juniors, I wonder if this is going to cause problems in planning as I'm sure Montrose FC's fixtures will take precendence.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Makes sense this move, although with the lack of fixture lists in the juniors, I wonder if this is going to cause problems in planning as I'm sure Montrose FC's fixtures will take precendence.

Aye, but it wouldn't be hard for the NJR fixtures secretary (if there is such a beast) to check to see if Montrose were home/away before compiling Roselea's fixtures.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, but it wouldn't be hard for the NJR fixtures secretary (if there is such a beast) to check to see if Montrose were home/away before compiling Roselea's fixtures.

That's expecting common sense from SJFA officials though...

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I would of thought it was something they are used to taking into account. Even before groundsharing you'd want one to be away while the other was at home.

Think the big thing here is access to another Junior grade pitch as back up and having first call on it. Without that I can see why it might not be permissible. The hope is that the NRJFA can work fixtures around Montrose FCs fixture list but that will not always be possible hence the back up plan.The pay off for the North Secretary is that he will be guaranteed to get 6-8 games played in the winter months alongside Banks o Dee and Devronside who also have artificial pitches. Win win all round.

Archived