Messi & Ronaldo Watch

Oooooft

Right.

Posted it elsewhere but the 'best player evah' shite has done my tits in already.

Prior to Ronaldos hattrick the facts were him and Messi combined had scored 2 more goals than Oleg Salenko in the WC Finals , thats right, than Oleg fucking Salenko.

In 25 more games.

Ronnie's free kick was the first he has scored after 44 failures in major tournaments, a horrific conversion rate.

Messi had 11 shots at goal v Iceland, without scoring.

That's the 2nd most in over 60 years of checking.

Better than Diego/Puskas/Pele?

Lolololololol.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 I don’t think talking about the greatest footballer that ever lived (Ronaldo) is boring tbh. 

It’s boring when they are constantly compared and it’s made into some sort of soap opera tbh.

I’m fed up hearing every time one of them does something what the other might be thinking as if Messi will have been crying himself to sleep last night not because he didn’t play well and Argentina didn’t get a great result, but because it’s some sort of ‘win’ for Ronaldo.

Neither of them will win the World Cup anyway.

It’s boring when they are constantly compared and it’s made into some sort of soap opera tbh.

I’m fed up hearing every time one of them does something what the other might be thinking as if Messi will have been crying himself to sleep last night not because he didn’t play well and Argentina didn’t get a great result, but because it’s some sort of ‘win’ for Ronaldo.

Neither of them will win the World Cup anyway.

It’s missing the entire point of football

At the last World Cup Ronaldo, Messi and other gifted individuals did some admittedly really impressive individual things

But they were unspectacular compared to Germany’s awesome collective performance in their utter demolition of Brazil.

Not that there weren’t 11 fine performances by talented individuals in that German team but the sum of their parts added up to far more.

And that’s the point of football

And whilst we’re about it this “Greatest Of All Time” business is by far the best example of availability bias I can bring to mind right now.

It’s also entirely subjective even if you did happen to have lived through 150 years of football.

It’s also entirely subjective even if you did happen to have lived through 150 years of football.

And given the changes in the way the game is played we’re effectively comparing players from different but similar sports. Like grass and clay court tennis, test and limited overs cricket or even Rugby Union and League depending on how big the historical gap is

If the argument is which player in history had the most natural talent, then it's subjective to the point of being a pointless discussion. And yes, availability bias would be a factor.

Folk who make the case for the likes of Pele, Maradona, Best, Puskas etc actually being better players than Messi and Ronaldo are off their fucking rockers though. The argument about how the game has changed doesn't do anyone arguing for a pre-90s player any favours either.

You could make a case for the elite level defenders of the 90s being better than today's (and thus the likes of OG Ronaldo having a tougher job) but the consistency of goalscoring and trophy winning from these two still put them 1st and 2nd of all time for me. 

I find folk who can't wait to rip one of them pretty tiresome. I'm firmly in the Messi goat camp but they're clearly both living legends, who I don't see anyone replicating any time soon. I feel lucky to have watched their careers. The wee geeks who refuse to appreciate one of them and yer da who thinks football was stronger in the 70s are missing out.

7 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

You could make a case for the elite level defenders of the 90s being better than today's (and thus the likes of OG Ronaldo having a tougher job) but the consistency of goalscoring and trophy winning from these two still put them 1st and 2nd of all time for me. 

It would be Elite "Defences" of the '90s were better as opposed to the elite "Defenders" it's a collective sport remember

And in fact goals became more plentiful in the '90s after Italia '90 prompted FIFA to introduce the backpass rule

8 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Messi or Ronaldo have also never won the Scottish Cup.

Salenko is clearly a better player.

Salenko never won the Highland League then had it cruelly snatched away from him in dubious circumstance.

Thus John Teasdale >>> Lionel Messi.

Messi or Ronaldo have also never won the Scottish Cup.

Salenko is clearly a better player.

As far as I can tell Salenko  left in a  swap deal  for Peter Van Vossen on 13 January 1996

Which means he'd left the club entirely before their cup run started on 27th January 1996  with a 10-1 win against Keith

http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/game.php?gameid=79813

So no he hasn't won a Scottish Cup

Ronaldo's legacy is secure

Archived