30-week league fixtures ... yes or no ?

mick90

Now that West region has moved to the system it should have had 20 years ago ... give or take the regionalisation of the lowest levels ... the big question this summer is surely whether the next league secretary should issue 30 weeks of league fixtures, plus early cup draws. The figure to aim for is around 47 games max ... which would include reaching Junior Cup, West and Central Cup finals ... no sectional cups, but Scottish Cup entrants might have 3/4 game higher. The minimum will be 33 for three divisions or 31 for `league 2` ...  they could have a divisional league-cup too.

Other leagues can do this quite easily ... EoS have issued a whopping (unplayable ?) 56 games ...  so can West region moved forward on this level ?

If so, Pyramid News is offering a league template which keeps local clubs separate for the whole season no matter what division they are in ... Meadow never at home (except cups) same time as Vics, Winton and Ardeer opposite Saltcoats, Clydebank opposite Yoker, etc, etc. If you are going to build a stronger system .. junior or pyramid .. start as you mean to go on.

I think constitutionally the fixtures only need to be issued until the end of the year, and then the fixtures till the end of the season are to be produced by the end of November.

However, the General Secretary this year gave two fingers to the constitution and just carried on with his usual shambles, so it depends who gets the gig this time.

I would certainly go for a full season fixture card.Only keep the west of Scotland cup for the time being,with maybe a second cup with optional entry for the second half of the season.The big problem is the Scottish.I think the first two or three rounds need to be as near all in as possible,and while I don’t like the idea,perhaps replays have to be scrapped.

40 minutes ago, PRICEY said:

I would certainly go for a full season fixture card.Only keep the west of Scotland cup for the time being,with maybe a second cup with optional entry for the second half of the season.The big problem is the Scottish.I think the first two or three rounds need to be as near all in as possible,and while I don’t like the idea,perhaps replays have to be scrapped.

Thought Dunipace had left the Juniors.

The eosfl issue a full seasons fixture dates (not out till 9th July) with the first half of the seasons fixtures plotted against those dates. The second half comes out just before Christmas.... This allows some adjusting in cases of call offs. So in that sense a full seasons dates would be sensible as would the first half of the seasons fixtures to allow for planning hospitality etc. 

Hopefully the fixtures man can get somthing better than finding out on a Sunday for the following Saturday. A step forward from the current set up may be the next 2 months of fixtures.... Baby steps and all that. 

There should be no debate about what happens. It is clear in the constitution of the West Region. Whichever individual makes himself available to do the Fixtures Secretary job does not have any option other than to apply that rule which he is employed to do.

Yep I get that's what the constitution says and I can't find to disagree on the principle. That being said, expectations have to be set on that which is reasonable, to go from worst case scenario to best case in 3 weeks and one employment change isn't realistic. The world would be a perfect place if everything worked the way it was meant to and everyone did what their job role was advertised as,sadly though we all sometimes have to accept that change can take time..... 

Yep I get that's what the constitution says and I can't find to disagree on the principle. That being said, expectations have to be set on that which is reasonable, to go from worst case scenario to best case in 3 weeks and one employment change isn't realistic. The world would be a perfect place if everything worked the way it was meant to and everyone did what their job role was advertised as,sadly though we all sometimes have to accept that change can take time..... 
The candidates have had a year to work out how to do it.

I did a fixture list and dates in less than 1 day without a computer in less than 24 hours if I had been up for election I would of took that with me and promised to have the full fixture list out to the clubs in 2 weeks or if they wanted just the first 15 if I can do it sitting in the house bored surely the 3 people up for the job must have already did fixtures if not none of them deserve the job

We need to take advantage of the all weather facilities  springing up in the local areas,if a game is called off due to weather or any reason the grounds unplayable,move the fixture to the nearest all weather and agree to play under the lights midweek,yes you might take a small hit in financial terms but we must find a way of reducing fixture backlogs which with more league games is bound to happen.I would also drop sectional league cup and play league fixtures Sat-Wed up to September and get a good number of games under the belt before the darker nights commence,ive not spoken to anyone thats in favour of keeping the sectional league cup.

17 hours ago, glensmad said:
17 hours ago, G4Mac said:

The candidates have had a year to work out how to do it.

Not arguing your point, I 100% agree. But given that historically every one of the old pals club that has taken this responsibility on has failed to achieve anywhere near what the constitution sets out, is it not a bit of a setting yourself up for being disappointed if it doesn't work kind of situation? 

Until there is a mass overhaul in the sjfa and wrsjfa there will be little in the way of change. 

Leapords/spots and all that. What you are asking for is noble and is 100% correct but frankly until the approach and personnel at the top are changed there will be no downward flow of change/positive practice, what will continue is the use of the constitution when it suits approach

Not arguing your point, I 100% agree. But given that historically every one of the old pals club that has taken this responsibility on has failed to achieve anywhere near what the constitution sets out, is it not a bit of a setting yourself up for being disappointed if it doesn't work kind of situation? 
Until there is a mass overhaul in the sjfa and wrsjfa there will be little in the way of change. 
Leapords/spots and all that. What you are asking for is noble and is 100% correct but frankly until the approach and personnel at the top are changed there will be no downward flow of change/positive practice, what will continue is the use of the constitution when it suits approach
That's kinda the point I'm making.

On 16/06/2018 at 11:20, mick90 said:

Now that West region has moved to the system it should have had 20 years ago ... give or take the regionalisation of the lowest levels ... the big question this summer is surely whether the next league secretary should issue 30 weeks of league fixtures, plus early cup draws. The figure to aim for is around 47 games max ... which would include reaching Junior Cup, West and Central Cup finals ... no sectional cups, but Scottish Cup entrants might have 3/4 game higher. The minimum will be 33 for three divisions or 31 for `league 2` ...  they could have a divisional league-cup too.

Other leagues can do this quite easily ... EoS have issued a whopping (unplayable ?) 56 games ...  so can West region moved forward on this level ?

If so, Pyramid News is offering a league template which keeps local clubs separate for the whole season no matter what division they are in ... Meadow never at home (except cups) same time as Vics, Winton and Ardeer opposite Saltcoats, Clydebank opposite Yoker, etc, etc. If you are going to build a stronger system .. junior or pyramid .. start as you mean to go on.

Yes , yes , yes

10 hours ago, pumphy_man said:

The Ersjfa were planning to do fixtures up to end of December before there was a mass exodus of clubs going to EoS not sure if this has changed or not.

I don't see any reason for that to change tbh. Actually, only having 12 team leagues makes full fixture lists easier as there will be more spare dates.

Archived