Western Super League 2018-19

TFW

Any of the promoted teams likely to have any title aspirations coming up? Anyone likely to be putting money into any of these teams?

Last season was the most egalitarian it's ever been and it's quite possible that with 30 games to play rather than 22 that it could be even more so this year, especially if any of the promoted teams do the business on the pitch. On the contrary, it could lead to more meaningless end of season games than ever if we have runaway leaders and two clubs looking certain to drop come the half way stage.

My own view, for what it's worth, is that with less likelihood than ever of the top clubs getting dragged into a relegation battle with six new clubs moving up it does givem the ability to plan for the longer term approach, maybe blooding new younger players from the academies (for those teams that have them) and giving such clubs even greater stability. Close season signings will be interesting, especially if Pollok and Kilwinning splash the cash again.

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, TFW said:

Any of the promoted teams likely to have any title aspirations coming up? Anyone likely to be putting money into any of these teams?

Last season was the most egalitarian it's ever been and it's quite possible that with 30 games to play rather than 22 that it could be even more so this year, especially if any of the promoted teams do the business on the pitch. On the contrary, it could lead to more meaningless end of season games than ever if we have runaway leaders and two clubs looking certain to drop come the half way stage.

My own view, for what it's worth, is that with less likelihood than ever of the top clubs getting dragged into a relegation battle with six new clubs moving up it does givem the ability to plan for the longer term approach, maybe blooding new younger players from the academies (for those teams that have them) and giving such clubs even greater stability. Close season signings will be interesting, especially if Pollok and Kilwinning splash the cash again.

Thoughts?

Some great observations about stability for teams. Hopefully, that will be seen in the quality of football improving. 

I watched Petershill on a number of occasions last year and feel they will need to recruit well if they are to push the top 6. 

Although we don't seem to know the exact details of the cup competitions I'm, probably very naively,  going to take a positive outlook and say the certainty of 30 league games at the expense of cup ones will (or should) help fixture scheduling , and that will benefit the more successful sides.  

22 games always felt like a bit of a sprint whereas a league should really be about proper endurance and 30 games provides that.  It gives the more ambitious teams a bit more leeway to drop points and not lose touch in the league. For instance had the season just finished been 30 games I'd have expected to see Pollok challenging very strongly with the progress they made after the pish start they made. it's mental that a bad opening half dozen games could basically kill a league season. 

10 hours ago, TFW said:

Thoughts?

There is no West Super league any more however much you want to call it that.

Premiership

Championship

League1

League2

Get used to it and FFS change the title of this thread!

23 hours ago, archieb said:

There is no West Super league any more however much you want to call it that.

Premiership

Championship

League1

League2

Get used to it and FFS change the title of this thread!

Long after we're all gone somebody out there will say, are Pollok still in the Super League?

On 16/06/2018 at 11:19, Shanner said:

Although we don't seem to know the exact details of the cup competitions I'm, probably very naively,  going to take a positive outlook and say the certainty of 30 league games at the expense of cup ones will (or should) help fixture scheduling , and that will benefit the more successful sides.  

22 games always felt like a bit of a sprint whereas a league should really be about proper endurance and 30 games provides that.  It gives the more ambitious teams a bit more leeway to drop points and not lose touch in the league. For instance had the season just finished been 30 games I'd have expected to see Pollok challenging very strongly with the progress they made after the pish start they made. it's mental that a bad opening half dozen games could basically kill a league season.  

You are right about 22 games, a bad start kills you.

We played 6 and had 6 points - so average 1 a game

Then the other 16 games we picked up 34 points, slightly over 2 points a game average that you need to be close to league champions. 

Its a pity that all the decent East teams have also left the juniors, as with the new 30 game league season I think that will put pressure on the teams going for the league in the West when it comes to trying to win the Scottish, would have been a real challenge tor the west teams to be successful in both. All the cups in the West allowed teams to rotate a bit more. Last season we played 42 games, but only 25 against premier league sides. 

Someone posted on the non-league twitter that `league cup` would start on the 28th July .... that must surely be nonsense. Auchinleck and several others played last week of season on 46-47 games (22 league) ... it would be impossible to play a sectional cup with 30 league games. Many will know that the amateur EoS idiots have issued a possible 56 games plus ... practically impossible, except that they can play midweek in winter ... but 11/12 weeks, I don`t think so. Changes are badly needed throughout the game, yes ... so maybe start with decent officials ... who can count.

37 minutes ago, mick90 said:

Someone posted on the non-league twitter that `league cup` would start on the 28th July .... that must surely be nonsense. Auchinleck and several others played last week of season on 46-47 games (22 league) ... it would be impossible to play a sectional cup with 30 league games. Many will know that the amateur EoS idiots have issued a possible 56 games plus ... practically impossible, except that they can play midweek in winter ... but 11/12 weeks, I don`t think so. Changes are badly needed throughout the game, yes ... so maybe start with decent officials ... who can count.

Yes given that Beith last played on Friday the teams arent having a lot of time off, back to pre season in 3 weeks. No rest for the wicked as they say.

Heard that Sectional league cups start on 28th July..... All groups will have "4 teams" .... play each team once...,, Sat/Mon/Wed.... top teams go through to knock out rounds that will be played later in season. League games to be played Sat/Wed thro August into first week or so in Sept.... so all being well teams should have played 10 or so games by start of Sept. 

Scottish cup also I think changing in that there will be no rounds in Nov/Dec/Jan .... in Oct i think the plan is to play 2 rounds of the cup and with the defection of the East Teams the cup will be somewhat lighter than normal with the teams involved.

All this looks good on paper but im sure the powers that be will still mess it up lol

34 minutes ago, mick90 said:

Someone posted on the non-league twitter that `league cup` would start on the 28th July .... that must surely be nonsense. Auchinleck and several others played last week of season on 46-47 games (22 league) ... it would be impossible to play a sectional cup with 30 league games.

The Sectional Cup is a nonsense and can only be justified if all divisions are small (12 clubs)

The South of Scotland League starts its league season at the end of July and with midweek and weekend games through August has played 9 league matches by the end of that month. That should be the model for the West.

3 hours ago, mick90 said:

Many will know that the amateur EoS idiots have issued a possible 56 games plus

Many don't know about this 56 games EoS plan, maybe you could enlighten us and show how you came to that figure?

Archived