Pre Seaon Training

Seaside Sam

This is one thing  i dont miss about not playing football anymore,the dreaded pre season training and how in Scotland the emphasis is all  about strength,stamina and running.Occasionally a ball comes out, and guys would get selected before  for the team cause they can run all day,launch a ball the length of the park even though i could keep a beach ball off the guys in a telephone box.Their was a time when one of the better players was sacrificed for someone because the guy could launch a shy for miles,ive even been called out by a manager for nutmegging guys in training as to his mind it  was disrespectful.I wish that pre season should contain more balll work for upcoming youngsters in the game,make them comfortable on the ball,learn them to pass 10 yards and most of all dont stifle any natural flair on the contrary try to encourage them and make pre season less of an endurance test.

This is one thing  i dont miss about not playing football anymore,the dreaded pre season training and how in Scotland the emphasis is all  about strength,stamina and running.Occasionally a ball comes out, and guys would get selected before  for the team cause they can run all day,launch a ball the length of the park even though i could keep a beach ball off the guys in a telephone box.Their was a time when one of the better players was sacrificed for someone because the guy could launch a shy for miles,ive even been called out by a manager for nutmegging guys in training as to his mind it  was disrespectful.I wish that pre season should contain more balll work for upcoming youngsters in the game,make them comfortable on the ball,learn them to pass 10 yards and most of all dont stifle any natural flair on the contrary try to encourage them and make pre season less of an endurance test.
For us we have the ball out first day you can get fit with the ball. We do high intensity small games and possession. For me sending boys running up and down hills is lazy coaching and mentally draining for boys. Boys will work harder with the ball that's fact

I still play atm and I hate pre season with a passion but it is a necessary evil for players who are not naturally fit like myself haha but I lose interest if it's jus constant running like most guys I would imagine you can get more out of boys running wise if there is a ball involved

I would suggest for any player beyond the age of 17/18 that passing drills, dribbling drills etc that are aimed at improving technique is wasted. If you can't pass or dribble by this age then I suggest you will never have a long term career in top level football. 

Game management, game intelligence, tactics, phases of play, shaping and chance creation will form the most of an adult teams training. 

I agree that you don't learn much from simple running exercises. I have found that a running exercise, then ball work, then running, then ball work is a good mix. Sadly to play football at the top level General aerobic and anaerobic fitness is required, and you only get this from some form of fitness work. Any more than a week to two weeks hard running is overkill during preseason. (games get better fitness) 

Sadly though players nowadays don't keep themselves ticking over during a season or off season.... Which when I played, I always viewed as my responsibility.... To be fit to carry out the wishes of the manager. 

20 hours ago, TQ1910 said:

I still play atm and I hate pre season with a passion but it is a necessary evil for players who are not naturally fit like myself haha but I lose interest if it's jus constant running like most guys I would imagine you can get more out of boys running wise if there is a ball involved

Cones cant tackle :lol:

Archived