ANOTHER fire at Glasgow School of Art

Guest Bob Mahelp

4 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Manchester was a “disaster”, Grenfell was a “disaster”.... a load of bricks and mortar being destroyed is not a “disaster”.

This. The amount of grieving on social media as if someone had died is unbelievable.

42 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Manchester was a “disaster”, Grenfell was a “disaster”.... a load of bricks and mortar being destroyed is not a “disaster”.

The building is far more than “a load of bricks and mortar”. It’s an architecturally significant building and moreover, it’s a world renowned flagship educational establishment in the art and design sphere.

A lot more than just a building went up in flames here. 

The building is far more than “a load of bricks and mortar”. It’s an architecturally significant building and moreover, it’s a world renowned flagship educational establishment in the art and design sphere.

1. It’s the People in the building who pass on knowledge about art, not the building.
2. I place no value on art.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How much concrete was in it?

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

1. It’s the People in the building who pass on knowledge about art, not the building.
2. I place no value on art.

1. The building was used as part of the education process.

2. Minter.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How much concrete was in it?

Not enough evidently.

Spent many a Fri/Sat night in the Art School sinking diesels, puffing on a doobie and watching underground UK Hip Hop acts. 

RIP The Glasgow School of Art my old friend. 

The art achool venue is untouched. Maybe have a delay while street is closed for work but venue will continue fine.

The GSA union still looks fine but the building they were refurbishing looks like it’s fucked beyond repair. They were already selling the ABC weren’t they? Can’t wait for some exciting new luxury student apartments right in the heart of the city!

See above. O2 have unlimited pockets to potentially rebuild but unsure of they lease or own the abc and if willing to shell out to finance a huge rebuild. Gutting either way.

This. The amount of grieving on social media as if someone had died is unbelievable.

I can understand former/current students feeling some sense of utter loss but the c***s typing "Currently crying" on social media need a fucking shake.

Eta few weeks back I worked with a fella who also was the H&S guy at the Art School, hired off the back of the last fire. Feel bad for him over next week.

20 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Shirley the building was just a realisation of CRM's design therefore his ideas should survive in the original plans? He was, after all, an architect/designer not a builder.

Every square mm of the building will be digitally mapped but that’s not really the point. 

I remember when the Gaumont Cinema in Sauchiehall St got burnt out in 1972.  Insurance job as I recall. 

I shared a top floor flat in Southpark Avenue, in Kelvinbridge with 5 other students.  Didn't know what was on fire
at the time, but it certainly lit up the night sky.  

Only found out recently that Mackintosh's home for many years was just up the street from us.

I can't really understand how the School of Art has gone up so quickly, and so completely.
Edited by beefybake

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

I remember when the Gaumont Cinema in Sauchiehall St got burnt out in 1972.  Insurance job as I recall. 

I shared a top floor flat in Southpark Avenue, in Kelvinbridge with 5 other stuendents. Didn't know what was on fire
at the time, but it certainly lit up the night sky.  

Only found out recently that Mackintosh's home for many years was just up the street from us.

I can't really understand how the School of Art has gone up so quickly, and so completely.

I hope you weren't studying English.