Whitletts v Maryhill Play-off Match Report

Thatsvulgar

Whitletts Victoria will be playing Championship football next season after two hard second half kicks from Louis Kerr and Adam Grimble saw them overcome the challenge of Maryhill in the second leg of their play-off at Dam Park.
Vics went into the match holding a 2-0 advantage from Monday night’s match in Glasgow but knew that they were in for a stern test from a team who had picked up an impressive 12 points from 26 games.Over both legs Vics proved to be too strong and muscly for their opponents and after the match celebrated the Clubs’ first promotion since 2009.
After a great spell of right right gid weather, the rain fell incessantly, making the Dam Park surface greasy with some players struggling to keep their feet early on(one players shorts actually slipped off and revealed his bare bottom)There was a tense atmosphere in the early stages of the game which was played in front of a healthy 352 strong crowd cheering on the rainsoaked, muscular men.
Despite being two shots down from the 1st leg, Maryhill knew that if they scored the first goal they would almost certainly win. However, Vics kept Maryhill at bay with the visitors posing little threat to Martin Tinfoils goal.
In what was almost a re-run on the first leg 48.5 hours earlier, it took Vics until ten minutes before the interval to threaten the visitors goal when Blair Situps Anderson’s run left three defenders in his wake but he couldn’t quite get on the end of Grimshaws neat backheel. Grimshaw then broke clear but saw his shot blocked by ‘Hill keeper Kevin McWispa with both Graeme Bonbon and Jordan Balaclava clear in front of goal. Basically he was a greedy Grimshaw!!!
Balaclava then had his chance when his close range shot hit McWispa who knew little about it and the ball flew over the bar and landed in a small 3 metre by 4 metre puddle.Vics finished the half strongly and there was still time for Grimshaw to miss a bronze opportunity when his shot was blocked by the foot of another man and the striker fired his follow up kick over the bar and into a small 6m by 1.5m puddle behind the goal.
It looked as if it wasn’t going to be Grimshaws night, as early in the second period he missed 8 great chances to give his side the lead with Mcwispa again denying him with 8 fine blocking jump saves. Louis Spinshot Kerr then fired a free kick narrowly over.
Maryhill needed to gamble and brought on forward player David Mudkok in place of a beefy defender as they gave it their all to get back into the tie, but in the 74th minute it was Whitletts who finally made the breakthrough. And for the third time in the tie, Mcwispa was beaten by an absolute superkick of a goal, this time a free kick from 25 yards by Kerr that flew in off the underside of the crossbar. Someone in the crowd actually described it as an up and downer spin shot!! I couldn't agree more.
The game looked up for Maryhill just two minutes later when Sam Skull received a second yellow card to reduce the visitors to ten men. Bonbon almost made it two when he shuffled clear only to be denied by the big leg of the keeper, but to their credit Maryhill continued to battle away and with ten minutes remaining they gave themselves some hope when the Vics defence failed to kick the ball away from their goal and from just inside the area, Joe Diamond Eyes Beckley smashed the ball past the saver into the net.
Maryhill pushed forward but Vics kept them at bay and with just three minutes remaining Callum Thump released Grimshaw who shoogled off the attentions of a big bad defender to race clear and this time there was no denying him as he slipped the ball past the advancing saver into the plum bag to seal victory and let the celebrations commence.

6 minutes ago, TheNauld said:

There should be no trialist’s allowed in the play offs, it should be signed players only as in the cups

It demeans the competition and It takes the gloss off the results.  The professional game has become one were the richest clubs win the big tournaments and that’s just been reflected in the junior game 

There should be no trialist’s allowed in the play offs, it should be signed players only as in the cups

But they can play in a league decider, whats the big difference ?

5 minutes ago, Terry Tibbs said:

But they can play in a league decider, whats the big difference ?

The difference is that it can construed as bending the rules to an extent that it’s not in the spirit of the game.  What about the young men who played all season and were discarded at the last minute for monetary gain . Clubs talk about “loyalty” were was the loyalty to the guys who burst their buts. 

The difference is that it can construed as bending the rules to an extent that it’s not in the spirit of the game.  What about the young men who played all season and were discarded at the last minute for monetary gain . Clubs talk about “loyalty” were was the loyalty to the guys who burst their buts. 

Its not bending the rules, as there’s no rule to bend. If enough clubs care that much, it’s up to them to put a rule in place

15 minutes ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Its not bending the rules, as there’s no rule to bend. If enough clubs care that much, it’s up to them to put a rule in place

I have just liked your post because it sums up the situation in the grade just now.

A bloody competition with no rules is one that has no integrity. 

1 hour ago, Viewparker said:

This from the only surviving brain donor in Ayrshire is a fine example of integrity. 

I’m quite sure the play off games have the same rules as the league games so now you have rules!! As for integrity, well I assume it now has integrity as now we have rules. 

Its not a cup, you are playing for promotion/relegation from the LEAGUE!

12 minutes ago, iPhone said:

I’m quite sure the play off games have the same rules as the league games so now you have rules!! As for integrity, well I assume it now has integrity as now we have rules. 

Its not a cup, you are playing for promotion/relegation from the LEAGUE!

It wasn’t me who said there was no rules.

You indicate you are “quite sure” so you will have no problems pointing  me in the direction of the rules for the play offs then, so I can agree with you. 

Btw are you both iPhone and ayrshireno1 ? Just asking for a friend. 

No, I am only iPhone... I am quite sure of that so you can tell your friend. 

Your right, you never said anything about the having no rules but you did chip into the debate.

As for the rules, no I couldn’t point you in the direction of them but if you speak to someone at Troon, Girvan, Maryhill, Whitletts etc who played in them, I am sure they will be able to help. 

And I don’t think any rules were broken...

I’m quite sure of that!!

13 hours ago, Viewparker said:

I have just liked your post because it sums up the situation in the grade just now.

A bloody competition with no rules is one that has no integrity. 

You did mention no rules though!!

14 hours ago, Viewparker said:

Please stop using the word 'but' to describe a mans rump

3 minutes ago, iPhone said:

You did mention no rules though!!

Your right I did  and if you read the thread you will realise why I did. 

All 4 teams used trialists and no amount of defending that will remove the bad taste it has left. Junior football in disarray just now. It may be on its last legs and as a fan of the juniors since my first game at Dennistoun Waverley in the early 60s  I’m upset at that. Things have to be seen to be done properly and the play offs were an unmitigated disaster for sporting integrity and the reputation of the SJFA. I understand the passions of the supporters of the teams involved but you must recognise it was a balls up.  

Archived