Newburgh Thistle - yet another name change

cmontheloknow

I see that Newburgh Thistle from the North Region have changed their name once again, reverting back to an old one (but still playing in Newburgh) - they must have the Guinness world record for most name changes in shortest period of time...? I

Wilson's XI (2000-2006)

Hillhead (Hillhead (2006-2011)

Bridge of Don Thistle (2011-2016)

Newburgh Thistle (2016-2018)

Bridge of Don Thistle (2018- ?)

3 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I see that Newburgh Thistle from the North Region have changed their name once again, reverting back to an old one (but still playing in Newburgh) - they must have the Guinness world record for most name changes in shortest period of time...? I

Wilson's XI (2000-2006)

Hillhead (Hillhead (2006-2011)

Bridge of Don Thistle (2011-2016)

Newburgh Thistle (2016-2018)

Bridge of Don Thistle (2018- ?)

Glad they're still going at least. Think these were the ones rumoured to be folding or merging with another club?

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Glad they're still going at least. Think these were the ones rumoured to be folding or merging with another club?

They live on for next year anyway but crowds at Newburgh seem pretty meagre, though not untypical for North.

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

They live on for next year anyway but crowds at Newburgh seem pretty meagre, though not untypical for North.

I was checking to see if they would be a Division One or Two team next year with reorganisation of the North Region. Hadn't realised they're in the Superleague.

14 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I was checking to see if they would be a Division One or Two team next year with reorganisation of the North Region. Hadn't realised they're in the Superleague.

They very nearly weren't  - beat Sunnybank on pens in the play off to stay up. They have been in the upper division more often than not though in recent times. Also won the McLeman Cup this year too.

They were Wilsons XI long before 2000, they were called that when I lived in Aberdeen and that was 19canteen (although they were Ams back then) - they've been dead to me since they ditched the Wilsons name.

10 hours ago, drs said:

They were Wilsons XI long before 2000, they were called that when I lived in Aberdeen and that was 19canteen (although they were Ams back then) - they've been dead to me since they ditched the Wilsons name.

Yeah only went from Juniors times in terms of timeline. I never had a formation date even back on NLS days.

• 2 weeks later...

So the name change now explained - they've moved into Lewis United's old home at Aberdeen Sports Village.

From their Facebook:

OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT

It is with great delight that the club can officially announce that we have agreed a partnership with Aberdeen Sports Village!

The ASV shall now be the home ground for the Club. The agreement means that Thistle having all required facilities on one site and under one banner.

More information and long term plans on the partnership shall be released over the course of the next few weeks.

At this time we would like to thank all those involved at Aberdeen Sports Village for the assistance and professional approach to the Club and getting the deal concluded.

Makes sense. I was up in Newburgh at the beginning of last season and caught a game there. It's a well-to-do commuter village a good bit out of Aberdeen - it's not exactly ever going to be primo Junior territory.  Maybe 25-30 through the gate on a blazing hot day, and the majority of those seemed to be there following Stonehaven who were the visitors.

Archived