Early Season predictions

Other league forums (Premiership, League One) have started threads for early season predictions so I figured I would let the Championship have one.  Here is my (probably very wrong) predictions based on last season and what has transpired in the transfer market thus far.

1. Dundee United

2. Ross County

3. Inverness CT

4. Partick Thistle

5. Greenock Morton

6. Dunfermline Athletic

7. Falkirk

8. Ayr United

9. Queen of the South

10. Alloa Athletic

28 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

Dunfermline are finishing no higher than 9th. 

That’s very bleak! Should be a few new faces incoming and a couple of the forward names linked range from semi-inducing to fully engorged. Can’t see that our best defence in the league has weakened, we’ve somehow signed the former loan midfield player who did much to rescue last season and will have a revamped forward line. 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Other league forums (Premiership, League One) have started threads for early season predictions so I figured I would let the Championship have one. 

That was nice of you to let us have a shite thread that no one asked for.

1. Dundee United

2. Ross County  

3. Partick Thistle

4. Morton

5. Falkirk

6. Inverness

7. Dunfermline

8. Queen of the South 

9. Ayr

10. Alloa

I could have interchanged United, County and Thistle - United's biggest problem is going to be Laszlo who, you imagine, will be out the door at the first sign of flunking it. I tend to think Kettlewell and Ferguson have been a bit too loyal to certain members of their squad and I haven't been greatly impressed with their acquisitions as yet. At Thistle, we have a massive rebuild on our hands which could go either way; O'Ware and Bell are a good start but it's increasingly looking like we'll be playing the trialist lottery to at least some extent.

I think Morton could be this season's dark horses; quietly doing some astute business and I think McKinnon will thrive with less pressure than at United.

Hartley has made a couple of interesting signings but much like the aforementioned trialist lottery, recruiting direct from English U21 squads is a gamble. I think mid-table beckons for Inverness again. They hit a bit of form on the back of the Challenge Cup win but Vigurs will be a big miss, I'd expect. With a reportedly reduced budget, I don't think they'll be pulling up any trees. 

Dunfermline have obviously had quite the exodus and unless Johnston has miraculous coaching ability then Danny Devine is going to destabilise their defence. The loss of Clark and McManus' goals would hurt any team but if they add Stevie Lawless as rumoured this week, that would go some way to replacing them. Queens will no doubt flirt with both play-offs, heavily so with the relegation ones in the latter stages, but will likely be safe due to Dobbie's goals and general wizardry.

Think it'll be shoot-out between the two promoted sides for relegation. Alloa had just as good form as Ayr and Raith in the second half of the season but competing against a league of full-time teams will be tough. They should benefit from getting the best part-time players (like Trouten although he's never proved himself at this level) whereas Ayr might be sitting on their hands to an extent, waiting on full-time players who haven't gotten deals elsewhere. Ayr will score goals which will give them a fair chance; not sure where Alloa's goals will come from.

Once we start bringing in the big guns folk will realise we are preparing for a title challenge next season. Already got 3 exceptional defenders and a midfielder who should be playing higher than this league. We still need to add many players to the squad. If you're basing it on current squad then, yeah, we'd be nowhere near a play-off, but lucky if we have 11 guys signed up for next season. 

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Once we start bringing in the big guns folk will realise we are preparing for a title challenge next season.

The last time that I can recall Dunfermline bringing in 'big guns' for a title challenge, you ended up finishing 7th beneath Stranraer, Forfar, Brechin and Peterhead in the seaside leagues. 

We're not exactly shitting ourselves then. 

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

Just now, virginton said:

The last time that I can recall Dunfermline bringing in 'big guns' for a title challenge, you ended up finishing 7th beneath Stranraer, Forfar, Brechin and Peterhead in the seaside leagues. 

And your lot have just signed one of them. Unlucky m9. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Good to have you back VT.

Was concerned your habit of saving pictures of crying kids and posting them on P&B had landed you in trouble.

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

And your lot have just signed one of them. Unlucky m9. 

A player whose career has effortlessly progressed ever since leaving your rabble; just as Ross Forbes' did when you hilariously decided to swap him for Andy Barrowman - gifting us the league title in the process. 

Gutted for you, yet again.

1500894683632.jpg.ed54b2f665400dba199089a1f7e8ddfd.jpg

1 minute ago, virginton said:

A player whose career has effortlessly progressed ever since leaving your rabble; just as Ross Forbes' did when you hilariously decided to swap him for Andy Barrowman - gifting us the league title in the process. 

Gutted for you, yet again.

1500894683632.jpg.ed54b2f665400dba199089a1f7e8ddfd.jpg

VT, you're always looking at the past, man. Are you secretly an Aberdeen fan?

Can't see beyond big spending Dundee United for the Championship, tbh. Mid table could stretch from 2nd to 9th place in terms of points spread.

1. Dundee United - 3 seasons in the abyss is too long for a club of their stature.

2. Ross County - Again money talks...

3. Bit of cash to spend and a couple of decent signings give slight confidence of avoiding another relegation and if we can get some pace, organisation and not to mention growing a pair of balls we might do okay.

4. Dunfermline - apparently all of the players let go will be replaced with better or effective alternatives so should hold onto their playoff slot.

5. ICT not much happening to the outside eye so far but finished the season strongly and seem to have kept their squad relatively intact.

6. Morton - decent managerial appointment and a couple of decent signings so far. 

7. Falkirk - I don't really know much about their players. Hartley should keep them competitive but another year of rebuild I think.

8. Ayr United - should still bang in their fair share of goals but will let in a good few too.

9. Dobbie is another year older so can the the supporting cast keep him firing?

10  Alloa - bit of a lazy selection for bottom spot and could surprise a few folk. Goodwin has started well. It'll be key who they can attract on a part-time basis but might just be edged out the league come May.

Dependent on what centre midfielders and wingers we buy will be dependent on where we finish, as well as where he plans to play Longridge, I'd like to see him upfront with Ryan but if we sign Faiss or another striker we could see him as a winger. 

Danny Devine is a pretty laughable signing but then so was M'voto last year and that worked out fine, hopefully he'll do OK when he steps in. I'm confident Durnan will replace Morris OK, think he'll be missed more in the dressing room.  Beadling will go down as one of the best bits of business in the window.