World Cup 2026

World Cup 2026  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be massive LOLs if Morroco win it, both in terms of annoying Trump and in terms of irritating those who think that only the opinions of Europeans should count and that World Cups should always be played in our summer.

The North Americans will win the vote, though.

Ideally FIFA would finally strip 2022 off Qatar for human rights violations and give it to Morocco, with Canada/USA/Mexico (let's just call them CUM) taking 2026 by default, but that wouldn't work because, quelle surprise, Morocco couldn't possibly get their shit in order in four years.

While I'd prefer the 2022 World Cup to be moved away from Qatar, it is also the case that the USA and Mexico have been accused of human rights violations in recent years (possibly Canada too), so I'm not sure the moral argument holds.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

While I'd prefer the 2022 World Cup to be moved away from Qatar, it is also the case that the USA and Mexico have been accused of human rights violations in recent years (possibly Canada too), so I'm not sure the moral argument holds.

I would argue it holds based on the notion that Qatar's violations were directly related to the World Cup (migrant workers abused and dying during construction). If human rights violations in general were a reason for exclusion, 2006 was probably the last  edition with a legitimate host.

Presumably that would mean 3 spaces taken up by 3 hosts? USA and Mexico would likely qualify anyway on merit, but Canada? Would that leave the remaining CONCACAF nations battling it out for one remaining place?

Just now, nsr said:

Presumably that would mean 3 spaces taken up by 3 hosts? USA and Mexico would likely qualify anyway on merit, but Canada? Would that leave the remaining CONCACAF nations battling it out for one remaining place?

With the increase to 48 nations by then, I reckon it'd be 3.5 spaces for CONCACAF (with the half being a play-off versus a country from a different continent).

12 minutes ago, nsr said:

Recommended allocation is as follows:

• Africa - 9 (up from 5)
  • Asia - 8 (up from 4 or 5)
  • Europe - 16 (up from 13)
  • North, Central America and Caribbean - 6 (up from 3 or 4)
  • Oceania - 1 (from 0 or 1)
  • South America - 6 (up from 4 or 5)
  • Plus two teams from a six-team qualifying tournament featuring the next best teams from Africa, Asia, North & Central America/Caribbean, Oceania and South America plus the host continent.

So, as host continent, CONCACAF would likely have six automatic places plus two extra in the six-team playoff.

Probably the right decision, in terms of the facilities and infrastructure already being largely there. Not a fan of the shared bids, all the same.

Just now, nsr said:

Why does Europe get such a small increase? How many good teams from the other confederations are sitting at home?

All about inclusiveness. The more places that are included, the greater the potential for $£

1 minute ago, nsr said:

Why does Europe get such a small increase? How many good teams from the other confederations are sitting at home?

In Africa's case, Cameroon and Ghana who tended to qualify most ever World Cup. Then you've got some one day flies like Togo and Angolo, Zambia who won the Africa Cup a few years back.

As for Asia..... uh..... China? Maybe? North Korea? Thailand is well on their way to become a regional force but they aren't quite there yet. Reckon FIFA would love to get Indonesia to qualify with a 100 million plus people living there.

CONMEBOL is missing Chile and Paraguay, who typically qualify but have lost out this time.

USA is an obvious missing qualifier from CONCACAF.

New Zealand will be an automatic qualifier in the new scheme with one guaranteed spot for Oceania. If I was Australia I'd go back if it goes through.

And then you've got Europe..... Italy, the Netherlands, Ukraine, Romania, Czech Republic, Hungary, with the addendum that Russia qualified as a host. Bit silyl to give Africa four extra spots and Europe just three

1 minute ago, DutchBorderer said:

New Zealand will be an automatic qualifier in the new scheme with one guaranteed spot for Oceania. If I was Australia I'd go back if it goes through.

With 8 qualifying slots going to Asia it probably makes more sense for Australia to stay where they are now. Gives them the benefit of playing stronger opposition in qualifying while still being near certain of qualification.

22 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Recommended allocation is as follows:

• Africa - 9 (up from 5)
  • Asia - 8 (up from 4 or 5)
  • Europe - 16 (up from 13)
  • North, Central America and Caribbean - 6 (up from 3 or 4)
  • Oceania - 1 (from 0 or 1)
  • South America - 6 (up from 4 or 5)
  • Plus two teams from a six-team qualifying tournament featuring the next best teams from Africa, Asia, North & Central America/Caribbean, Oceania and South America plus the host continent.

So, as host continent, CONCACAF would likely have six automatic places plus two extra in the six-team playoff.

So available spots up 14 effectively here (45% increase)

Africa up 80%

Asia up 78%

Europe up 23%

Central America up 71%

Oceania up 100%

South America up 33%

Farcical shite. 

Archived