SJFA AGM this Saturday

Brig O'Lea

47 minutes ago, Brig O'Lea said:

You think clubs would vote to scrap the Sectional as easy as that! :)

At least season's AGM there were Ayrshire clubs in particular unhappy with the prospect of losing the sectionals (and, by extension, league reconstruction) due to the loss of major early season matches, which are harder to replicate in other cups.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an outsider looking in these days, I'm really surprised there was no proposal to play junior cup ties to a conclusion.  It's the one competition which really screws up a fixture list.  So an earlier start, longer pause over the winter and killing off replays makes a lot of sense - to me anyway. 

As an outsider looking in these days, I'm really surprised there was no proposal to play junior cup ties to a conclusion.  It's the one competition which really screws up a fixture list.  So an earlier start, longer pause over the winter and killing off replays makes a lot of sense - to me anyway. 

I would agree with that. Seasons have been dragging on into June for near a decade it seems like. Every season there’s the odd instance of a couple of clubs taking three or four attempts, and over a month to get a cup game played and the knock-on effect for everyone else can be brutal.

2 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

Why would you scrap the West Cup? Scrap the Sectional Cup and the Evening Times Trophy and get the ET to sponsor the Scottish.

Very easy to say "get ET to sponsor the Scottish".

We are looking for a sponsor with far deeper pockets than a newspaper publisher with falling sales and advertising migrating to the internet. How often do you personally buy the paper? Probably never, maybe take a look at their website occasionally, no need to fork out 60p or however much it costs these days, but you expect a group who will get little benefit from throwing cash at a minor football tournament, for that is what it now is to sponsor it. Bit different in the days of four figure crowds in the first few rounds and 60000 at Hampden for the final.

What kind of company is actually going to benefit from the sort of people who have a special interest in our grade? Very hard to say, Emirates are throwing tens, possibly hundreds of millions at football, but only at the very highest level where they get worldwide exposure via televised games watched by hundreds of millions, not 2 figure crowds on a wet saturday afternoon at Ochterloonie.

I really hope we can find a credible sponsor, but it will have to be a Scottish based company with someone with an interest in our game to do it.  There are some throwing cash at their local clubs, e,g. Kelty, and of course some of the better known Ayrshire clubs are currently spashing cash which was not handed over at the turnstile, how about some of them spreading it a bit wider?

36 minutes ago, Wild Winton Rover said:

Perhaps you should consult the Club Extranet, they were all there when I last looked.

I've no access to the Club Extranet. 

But I've been informed by someone who obviously has that they are not complete.

Archived