Standards Dropping

kenny131

The junior cup final live on the BBC alba probably watched by a fare football(sadly not what was seen)fans in what can only be described as rugby tactics kicking for touch to gain ground and 90 minutes of lumping it long. It's an embarrassment to the grade this is the standard that wins cups regular. 

When did  the standards slip to this Level?  Is it win at all costs and f**k the football ?

1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

The junior cup final live on the BBC alba probably watched by a fare football(sadly not what was seen)fans in what can only be described as rugby tactics kicking for touch to gain ground and 90 minutes of lumping it long. It's an embarrassment to the grade this is the standard that wins cups regular. 

When did  the standards slip to this Level?  Is it win at all costs and f**k the football ?

It did provide 5 goals and an amazing comeback unlike the Beith final. I put it down to a surface that was totally alien to both sets of players. 

It did provide 5 goals and an amazing comeback unlike the Beith final. I put it down to a surface that was totally alien to both sets of players. 

More goals from open play in beith game which was also played on the same pitch so no excuses on the pitch better get used to it as talbot have 4 games on the alien pitch next season

21 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

More goals from open play in beith game which was also played on the same pitch so no excuses on the pitch better get used to it as talbot have 4 games on the alien pitch next season

Two goals in open play in this years final. Taz's wonder goal and Hyslop's header after a cute chip from the edge of the six yard box.

A friend of mine who has barely been to a junior match in his life went to the Lochee vs Talbot semi. Safe to say he wasn’t exactly impressed by either side or the standard in general. He was a decent amateur player in his day and I tried to explain to him that these guys were all good players, fit, strong etc and if he’d been on the park with them even in his peak he wouldn’t have got much of a kick. He took that on board but regardless of that he said both sides just humped it long and tried to pick up second balls. 

There just aren’t the same number of guys wanting to play that there used to be. Most of the amateur sides I know of in and around Dundee have been struggling to put out sides at some point this season, and second XIs are becoming a thing of the past. When numbers fall like they have been standards will inevitably suffer. 

Lowland league is also attracting players that would be at Junior level otherwise. This summer alone I see Jamie Longworth, Bryan Prunty, Ross Smith and Craig Malcolm dropping down to the LL on permanent deals. They'd be Junior this year IMO if those clubs weren't there. This hasn't happened in the West before, to have a serious rival or two for players inbetween the SPFL and Junior. It's always been there in the east with EoS and East Juniors BUT the main difference between the two set-ups was money - Spartans were pay to play until the 00s.

I like the post Kenny. Post season wind up at best.

You fail to miss that quite a few of us including myself went to the Lok v Beith final.

A good friend up from England commented on how drab both teams where. I had to agree, even the pens where tedious lol.

I will say is, rarely any final is decent and is usually a tense affair.

No matter who get to finals. It's all about winning. No one remembers quarter finalists (Beith usually get there)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Two goals in open play in this years final. Taz's wonder goal and Hyslop's header after a cute chip from the edge of the six yard box.

Aye right the first talbot goal open play pmsl free kick into edge 6 yard box cute chip pmsl more like half volley lob into 6 yard box for a header if that’s open play your easily pleased [emoji3]

17 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

Aye right the first talbot goal open play pmsl free kick into edge 6 yard box cute chip pmsl more like half volley lob into 6 yard box for a header if that’s open play your easily pleased emoji3.png

Pleased. You should have seen my face by the 93rd minute:rolleyes:

Goodness knows what the standard is like below Super Premier?...been to a handful of SP league games this year and in the main it’s all very frantic with lots of big punts..tend to agree that standards are slipping and the sooner the west region embrace change and join the pyramid the better...surely can’t be any worse!!

1 minute ago, Killiepiyo said:

Everyone’s quick to run things down unfortunately. 

Hard not too when our flagship cup comp final is shown live on the BBC and the winners were playing for touch to gain ground.

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Lowland league is also attracting players that would be at Junior level otherwise. This summer alone I see Jamie Longworth, Bryan Prunty, Ross Smith and Craig Malcolm dropping down to the LL on permanent deals. They'd be Junior this year IMO if those clubs weren't there. This hasn't happened in the West before, to have a serious rival or two for players inbetween the SPFL and Junior. It's always been there in the east with EoS and East Juniors BUT the main difference between the two set-ups was money - Spartans were pay to play until the 00s.

Yip Kilbirnie were obviously hoping Longworth would return but the Lowland League and East Kilbride in particular for him was always going to be the bogey. Quite simply he will score goals for EK and stand an excellent chance of returning to Spfl next season. Had Kilbirnie been part of pyramid not saying he would have returned but would have stood a far better chance. Had the Lowland League not existed 100% convinced he would be playing for Ladeside next season .

8 minutes ago, gogsy said:

To be fair it was nowhere near as bad as the 2004 final. 

I remember one (2003?) that STV were late in getting to because the grand prix overran. It was not a classic either and I recall folk were grateful it had done so!

Honestly I think quite a few things go against the Junior Cup Final - maybe not individually the problem but collectively do add up:

1. Time of season - teams getting to the final are usually in the middle of a hectic midweek programme, albeit with a week off before final. Fatigue plays a role.

2. Time of year: always seems to be played in sweltering heat.

3. Pitch size:  there's barely a pitch in the Juniors that is as big as Rugby Park. Measure them on google earth if you're unconvinced. Pollok play half the season on a 102x64yds surface. The extra yards at Rugby Park take their toll when taking into account 1 & 2.

4. The occasion, live on TV - sometimes pressure gets to people. Not everyone's a big game player.

Archived