Fallout 76

Dindeleux

11 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Rumours that this would be a mmo similar to Rust rather than what we've come to expect from Fallout. Hopefully it's not true. Should find out later tonight.

From brief snippets on Twitter, looks like it is.  Every person on the map being another human.

I'm not as against it as some seem to be.  I'm a sucker for big open world maps, and I liked how densely packed FO4's one was, even if it wasn't the most exciting.  If they manage to take that "4 times as big" and fit in both the cramped, highly populated areas of FO4, along with wider, more open, and most importantly more varied locations, then that could be brilliant.

Does remain to be seen how online works.  As always, if it turns into a land full of trolls who have no life other than spending 22 hours a day playing it and ruining it for those that have about an hour to spend, then it'll be shit.  Definitely interested though.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

From brief snippets on Twitter, looks like it is.  Every person on the map being another human.

I'm not as against it as some seem to be.  I'm a sucker for big open world maps, and I liked how densely packed FO4's one was, even if it wasn't the most exciting.  If they manage to take that "4 times as big" and fit in both the cramped, highly populated areas of FO4, along with wider, more open, and most importantly more varied locations, then that could be brilliant.

Does remain to be seen how online works.  As always, if it turns into a land full of trolls who have no life other than spending 22 hours a day playing it and ruining it for those that have about an hour to spend, then it'll be shit.  Definitely interested though.

I just cant see the appeal of a Fallout MMO

10 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Their post on Facebook hints at it being both online and single player FB_IMG_1528711777766.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Or it could just mean playing online on your own rather than in a team

7 hours ago, forameus said:

Are you new to online play or what? 

Literally every single online/team style of game degrades to trolls or folk who know how to exploit glitches. Fallout Online will just be groups of folk running around sniping everyone, and probably discovering what walls are glitched and trying to force you into them.

The more I hear about this game the more awful it sounds. I'm not even necessarily sure they need a bigger map either, I found a lot of 4 was deserted, even by creatures.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you new to online play or what? 

Literally every single online/team style of game degrades to trolls or folk who know how to exploit glitches. Fallout Online will just be groups of folk running around sniping everyone, and probably discovering what walls are glitched and trying to force you into them.

The more I hear about this game the more awful it sounds. I'm not even necessarily sure they need a bigger map either, I found a lot of 4 was deserted, even by creatures.

Very true.  I should have said more along the lines of Bethesda managing to make a game that can be enjoyable in spite of the people I mention.  Extent of my online play these days is FIFA, which has its fair share of them.  The Division wasn't too bad for it.  Certain areas were riddled with problem players (in fact, I think the entire PC version was infested) but you could avoid them well enough so that you could have a fairly enjoyable game, and there seemed to be enough playing that you could actually achieve objectives.  Except the guy that realised you could just stand in the doorway and block an entire server of people in the tutorial.

It's a good point about the bigger map too.  It used to be a huge selling point for games but seems to have calmed down a bit now.  It's all well and good having an open world that is 400 million square kilometres or whatever, but you need to make sure it isn't just "stuff".  Witcher 3 had what seemed like an enormous map, but a lot of it was just scenery.  Admittedly pretty scenery, but still, it was just space.  I think FO4 to have a more condensed one that seemed better as a result.  Just Cause 3 was massive, but a bit meh otherwise.  If they can make it 4 times bigger and make it feel alive, then great.  Otherwise it's a step backward.

Bethesda are getting better at creating a giant playground but are poor at filling it with much interesting.

This explains why they’re happy to turn Fallout into a massive playground to shoot each other people in.

I'm just not of a generation that is all consumed by playing other people in some kind of open mapped shoot-em up. I noticed recently that some games are beginning to get rid of story modes to concentrate on online only with battle royale type games making so much money that this is what the future might be. Not for me I'm afraid, which is a real shame when it comes to a game like Fallout as it is one of my favourite game series. I just simply won't buy Fallout 76 which is a real pity.

I'm just not of a generation that is all consumed by playing other people in some kind of open mapped shoot-em up. I noticed recently that some games are beginning to get rid of story modes to concentrate on online only with battle royale type games making so much money that this is what the future might be. Not for me I'm afraid, which is a real shame when it comes to a game like Fallout as it is one of my favourite game series. I just simply won't buy Fallout 76 which is a real pity.
This x 1000

Not been this disappointed in a game announcement since star wars battlefront

13 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Love Fallout but I'm out too after reading up a bit more. Map is four times larger but there is no npc or quest givers. Instead stuck in a first/third player shooter with other online players.

Essentially a nightmare, for me. I've not got the time to play games relentlessly (because I'm a functioning adult a good portion of the time), so all I'll get is battered by ludicrously over-powered ghouls.

Pass from me, tbh.

On 6/20/2018 at 21:56, Jack Burton said:

Love Fallout but I'm out too after reading up a bit more. Map is four times larger but there is no npc or quest givers. Instead stuck in a first/third player shooter with other online players.

It's a hard no from me, thanks.  As @thisGRAEME says, I don't have the time to sit and smash out an online game to get highly powered so it'll just be me getting a pasting. Pretty sad about it tbh because I loved Fallout 3 & 4 a lot. Some of the best bits were just wandering the wasteland yourself and discovering some absolute nonsense.