Russia '18 Match Simulation Thread

BFTD

I don't play games like FIFA anymore, but I do like to buy the World Cup editions purely to set up the World Cup games and watch them play out. Yes, this is tragic and probably a waste of money, but I figure I'm not the only one who does this on Pro Evolution Soccer, Football Manager, Subbuteo, etc. If I get time, I'm going to stick my results in here for folk to laugh at or whatever - feel free to do likewise.

Edit: I'm not making any effort to guess what the teams are going to be on the day, or change the squads to match reality - just the default teams playing each other through the computer AI. Someone else is welcome to do that if they fancy. I'll try to keep track of suspensions and leave players out if possible, though.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Match 1: Russia 0 Saudi Arabia 0

An expected dull opener, with Russia dominant but impotent in attack. Saudi limited to a couple of chances on the counter. Not a promising start for the hosts, but about as good a result as the Arabs deserved.

1-RussiaSaudiArabiaMatchFacts.jpg

1-RussiaSaudiArabiaMatchEvents.jpg

1-RussiaPlayerRatings.jpg

1-SaudiArabiaPlayerRatings.jpg

Match 2: Egypt 0 Uruguay 3

A real pounding for Egypt; Uruguay and Suarez on sparkling form in the first half, and happy to take a breather in the second. Egypt with a couple of decent chances, but never going to get anything other than a consolation, and Uruguay could easily have scored more. They're finishing top of Group A, unquestionably.

2-EgyptUruguayMatchFacts.jpg

2-EgyptUruguayMatchEvents.jpg

2-EgyptPlayerRatings.jpg

2-UruguayPlayerRatings.jpg

I am enjoying it.

And as a fellow sad b*****d, does anyone have a list of what dates teams arrive  - I believe Iran were first, and Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iceland have already arrived. Who will be the last to arrive?

Sorry for shiting up your thread, Davie ; but keep going, and I am looking forward to the result from Morocco - Iran!

4 minutes ago, Kejan said:

I am enjoying it.

And as a fellow sad b*****d, does anyone have a list of what dates teams arrive  - I believe Iran were first, and Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iceland have already arrived. Who will be the last to arrive?

Sorry for shiting up your thread, Davie ; but keep going, and I am looking forward to the result from Morocco - Iran!

Australia and Egypt arrived earlier today.

Aye, no Salah for Egypt. I guess EA have decided he won't be playing, or the AI manager has gone nuts.

Suarez started for Uruguay and came off after his hat-trick, understandably. I think the line-ups show the team at the end of the match, with the players who came off listed down the side.

Match 3: Morocco 1 Iran 2

Cagey first half, as you'd expect, until the first of two pinpoint goals from Jahanbakhsh put Iran ahead. Morocco found plenty of space in Iran's defence in the second half, but couldn't hit the target until a barnstormer from Belhanda got them back level...only to switch off and concede again almost immediately. Lovely finishing from Jahanbakhsh, but Iran might concede a bucketful against Spain & Portugal. Morocco don't look anything other than done already.

3-MoroccoIranMatchFacts.jpg

3-MoroccoIranMatchEvents.jpg

3-MoroccoPlayerRatings.jpg

3-IranPlayerRatings.jpg

Match 4: Portugal 0 Spain 1

Cracking end-to-ender, with the result hinging on the only two clear-cut chances. In the first half, a free header from Ronaldo smacks the underside of the bar and comes back out, and soon after some ridiculous Spanish fannying-about/passing in the penalty area sees the defence suddenly open up in front of Iniesta, who puts a stunning strike into the top corner. Second-place for Portugal, who will have no problems winning their other games.

4-PortugalSpainMatchFacts.jpg

4-PortugalSpainMatchEvents.jpg

4-PortugalPlayerRatings.jpg

4-SpainPlayerRatings.jpg

Match 5: France 3 Australia 1

France come roaring out of the blocks and don't let up until half-time, with the Aussies just trying to keep the score down. Two goals to the good, and seemingly in little danger, the French slacken off in the second-half, even allowing Australia the occasional half chance, until Tim Cahill comes on and scores with his first touch. The fags come out and Griezmann restores the two goal cushion in short order, with the rest of the half taken up with applying gentle pressure for a fourth. France look very dangerous if they can be arsed to concentrate; Australia held it together under pressure enough to imply they could make it to the last 16, but no further.

5-FranceAustraliaMatchFacts.jpg

5-FranceAustraliaMatchEvents.jpg

5-FrancePlayerRatings.jpg

5-AustraliaPlayerRatings.jpg

Match 1: Russia 0 Saudi Arabia 0
An expected dull opener, with Russia dominant but impotent in attack. Saudi limited to a couple of chances on the counter. Not a promising start for the hosts, but about as good a result as the Arabs deserved.

Match 2: Egypt 0 Uruguay 3
A real pounding for Egypt; Uruguay and Suarez on sparkling form in the first half, and happy to take a breather in the second. Egypt with a couple of decent chances, but never going to get anything other than a consolation, and Uruguay could easily have scored more. They're finishing top of Group A, unquestionably.

Match 3: Morocco 1 Iran 2
Cagey first half, as you'd expect, until the first of two pinpoint goals from Jahanbakhsh put Iran ahead. Morocco found plenty of space in Iran's defence in the second half, but couldn't hit the target until a barnstormer from Belhanda got them back level...only to switch off and concede again almost immediately. Lovely finishing from Jahanbakhsh, but Iran might concede a bucketful against Spain & Portugal. Morocco don't look anything other than done already.

Match 4: Portugal 0 Spain 1
Cracking end-to-ender, with the result hinging on the only two clear-cut chances. In the first half, a free header from Ronaldo smacks the underside of the bar and comes back out, and soon after some ridiculous Spanish fannying-about/passing in the penalty area sees the defence suddenly open up in front of Iniesta, who puts a stunning strike into the top corner. Second-place for Portugal, who will have no problems winning their other games.

Match 5: France 3 Australia 1
France come roaring out of the blocks and don't let up until half-time, with the Aussies just trying to keep the score down. Two goals to the good, and seemingly in little danger, the French slacken off in the second-half, even allowing Australia the occasional half chance, until Tim Cahill comes on and scores with his first touch. The fags come out and Griezmann restores the two goal cushion in short order, with the rest of the half taken up with applying gentle pressure for a fourth. France look very dangerous if they can be arsed to concentrate; Australia held it together under pressure enough to imply they could make it to the last 16, but no further.

You could be on to something here, you should put money on these results, they're all perfectly feasible, remember that octopus that predicted matches in the last World Cup and had a 100% success rate, perhaps your "magic" game is this tournaments story!!!
It's just like Jumanji, who would play you in the film version???

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

You could be on to something here, you should put money on these results, they're all perfectly feasible, remember that octopus that predicted matches in the last World Cup and had a 100% success rate, perhaps your "magic" game is this tournaments story!!!
It's just like Jumanji, who would play you in the film version???

Absolutely. It's a surefire winner, and you'd be crazy not to take out a second mortgage now before the bookies catch on.
(All predictions are presented here for the purposes of entertainment only, and should not be considered a guarantee of success. Terms and conditions may apply, all sales are final, no refunds. Oh, and I own the soul of your firstborn too. GIRUY.)

Oh, and Giant Haystacks, if he's still kicking around.

Match 6: Argentina 2 Iceland 1

Absolute daylight robbery from the Argies, who would've been lucky to escape with a point. Iceland were solid, tidy, and effective in defence until the final ten minutes, when a crazy backpass left Pavon with the simplest of chances to tuck away. Finally, with seconds of injury time remaining, a last-ditch attack ended with a stonking finish from Higuain taking all the points. Utterly galling, and the only positive to say about Argentina is that they still managed to win despite being kept at arm's length for most of the game. Iceland look like a handful for anyone.

Also of note: this game saw the first card of the tournament  #realism

6-ArgentinaIcelandMatchFacts.jpg

6-ArgentinaIcelandMatchEvents.jpg

6-ArgentinaPlayerRatings.jpg

6-IcelandPlayerRatings.jpg

Archived