Review yir Dinner

15 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

Had this tonight for my dinner. Not bad, would rate it the exact same as a Goodfella's pizza. Pretty much like cardboard but acceptable for a quick meal.

The weekend is the only time I have decent scran tbh, no cut out for this coming home from work and cooking a big fancy meal. 

download.jpg

That's when we tend to eat more crap. I do the vast majority of the cooking (perks of being a trophy husband 8)) so cook fresh through the week although friday is 'beige night', basically chips, oven baked 'stuff' (chicken strippers/breaded mushrooms/onion rings/cheesy jalapenos etc) all covered in chip shop curry sauce. Braw. If we have a takeaway its usually saturday night, if not it will be Asda pizzas or something similar, Sunday night is usually 'proper' food again.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

That's when we tend to eat more crap. I do the vast majority of the cooking (perks of being a trophy husband 8)) so cook fresh through the week although friday is 'beige night', basically chips, oven baked 'stuff' (chicken strippers/breaded mushrooms/onion rings/cheesy jalapenos etc) all covered in chip shop curry sauce. Braw. If we have a takeaway its usually saturday night, if not it will be Asda pizzas or something similar, Sunday night is usually 'proper' food again.  

^^^^

Jug lugs 

47 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

What is it you tend to cook? 

1 hour ago, Rovers2017 said:

Had this tonight for my dinner. Not bad, would rate it the exact same as a Goodfella's pizza. Pretty much like cardboard but acceptable for a quick meal.

The weekend is the only time I have decent scran tbh, no cut out for this coming home from work and cooking a big fancy meal. 

download.jpg

Batch cooking is your friend.

7 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

What is it you tend to cook? 

A fair bit of pasta, made a big wok full of Quorn bolognese tonight, missus is a veggie but I find the Quorn mince simpler anyway. Will have another portion or two for the freezer and will dehydrate a couple of single portions to take hill walking. Make tomato ragu and do a his and hers portion quite often too, I'll put a veggie sausage in hers and extra chilli, garlic and a sliced pepperami (as council house chorizo) in mine. Usually have a stir fry once a week, she'll have salmon I'll throw in some diced chicken in mine. If we're doing a (quorn) chilli we mix it up, sometimes rice, sometimes wraps, sometimes both. I'll do chicken wrapped in Parma ham (or bacon) for me and salmon for her (I sometimes smoke the salmon for her if we're organised enough, I need to soak the wood chips the day before) with roast veg. We both like a curry so I'll do a curry from scratch, usually paneer. We sometimes cheat and use a bought sauce but if I have enough time I prefer to do a sauce from scratch in the slow cooker with loads of onions. We've become a bit 'samey' though, I need to expand my day to day repertoire. 

I find cooking quite relaxing, especially the prep, used to be a great way to unwind, Keith Floyd style of course. :thumsup2

Fucking hell I knew Bo'ness was backwards but I didn't realise you literally live in the 70s over there.

FFS! [emoji1]

I don’t live in Bo’ness and I didn’t make the gammon or choose the bloody pineapple! (Which was nice btw)

I have found one of the most enjoyable things about parenthood is having a freezer stocked up with fish fingers, turkey dinosaurs and potato waffles (they're waffley versatile).

Tonight I am enoying turkey dinosaurs, fried egg, chips and beans.

A solid 7.5.

22 hours ago, chomp my root said:

A fair bit of pasta, made a big wok full of Quorn bolognese tonight, missus is a veggie but I find the Quorn mince simpler anyway. Will have another portion or two for the freezer and will dehydrate a couple of single portions to take hill walking. Make tomato ragu and do a his and hers portion quite often too, I'll put a veggie sausage in hers and extra chilli, garlic and a sliced pepperami (as council house chorizo) in mine. Usually have a stir fry once a week, she'll have salmon I'll throw in some diced chicken in mine. If we're doing a (quorn) chilli we mix it up, sometimes rice, sometimes wraps, sometimes both. I'll do chicken wrapped in Parma ham (or bacon) for me and salmon for her (I sometimes smoke the salmon for her if we're organised enough, I need to soak the wood chips the day before) with roast veg. We both like a curry so I'll do a curry from scratch, usually paneer. We sometimes cheat and use a bought sauce but if I have enough time I prefer to do a sauce from scratch in the slow cooker with loads of onions. We've become a bit 'samey' though, I need to expand my day to day repertoire. 

I find cooking quite relaxing, especially the prep, used to be a great way to unwind, Keith Floyd style of course. :thumsup2

Forgot to mention fish from the fish van on a wednesday. Dyed smoked haddock breadcrumbed and shallow fried with oven chips, peas and coleslaw. Braw. Looking forward to it tomorrow.

we are intending to try home-made doner kebabs over the weekend; the recipe suggests finishing them off with a "cook's blowtorch" for realistic searing on the outside

cook's blowtorches, however, appear to be at least twenty quid, so they can GTF - however, I have a paint-stripping gun in the garage - presumably that would do the job admirably (obviously, if it was brought in to the kitchen) ?

as a by the by, do I now need to contact the Grenfell enquiry and suggest that the reason behind the initial kitchen fire may be far less sinister than the unspoken "crystal meth lab" rumours ?

we are intending to try home-made doner kebabs over the weekend; the recipe suggests finishing them off with a "cook's blowtorch" for realistic searing on the outside
cook's blowtorches, however, appear to be at least twenty quid, so they can GTF - however, I have a paint-stripping gun in the garage - presumably that would do the job admirably (obviously, if it was brought in to the kitchen) ?
as a by the by, do I now need to contact the Grenfell enquiry and suggest that the reason behind the initial kitchen fire may be far less sinister than the unspoken "crystal meth lab" rumours ?
never made homemade doner but anything that combines meat and a blow tourch cant be a bad thing. please report back your findings!?

tonights dinner was chicken and bacon tortellini with sun dried tomato pesto, salad and garlic bread. took 15 minutes yo knock up and was delicious.

also made chilli from scratch for the weekend so it can stew for a few days before served up

On 11/6/2018 at 19:59, Rovers2017 said:

download.jpg

You know how to live!

On 14/06/2018 at 14:42, Herman Hessian said:

Let us know how you get on with the doner, that sounds intriguing.

Seeing as we're moving onto the more 'exotic' scrans my brother in law made a tandoor oven a few years back out of plant pots, always mean to give it a go. 

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Let us know how you get on with the doner, that sounds intriguing.

Seeing as we're moving onto the more 'exotic' scrans my brother in law made a tandoor oven a few years back out of plant pots, always mean to give it a go. 

Archived