France 98 Opening Game

I was 10, I remember running to my grans  from school, put the tartan nose on from one of the newspapers, my uncles Scotland flag round my shoulders, was allowed a can of cola as it was a special occasion, then had to endure that opening ceremony - Any way John Collins wink and we were off, Despair when we went 1-0 down then when we Scored the penalty I went tonto,Cola everywhere, I was about 17 before I was a allowed a drink in my grans living room again!  

France beating Brazil in the final in the Navy Blue had me convinced its would have been us if only we got out the groups, I wish I had the imagination and belief of my 10 year old self today!

hate to admit it but I loved Owens Goal against Argentina, I was still happy they got put out though!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/06/2018 at 22:05, Monkey Tennis said:

Can everyone on this thread stop being so young please?  

Agreed. I was a youngster of 38 at the time but can definitely recall watching it in the Birmingham Broad Street Walkabout.

With Russia V Saudi about to start, I was feeling a bit nostalgic about when Scotland opened a tournament and wrote the following blog about it.

I thought you guys might like a read.

https://thefootballblether.com/2018/06/14/the-day-33-of-the-world-watched-scotland/

I was pointed in the direction of this thread!

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, GarryOsCHeerios said:

With Russia V Saudi about to start, I was feeling a bit nostalgic about when Scotland opened a tournament and wrote the following blog about it.

I thought you guys might like a read.

https://thefootballblether.com/2018/06/14/the-day-33-of-the-world-watched-scotland/

I was pointed in the direction of this thread!

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

You need to fix the opening paragraph. It's really off-putting.

ETA -- Also, for a post entitled The Day 33% of the World Watched Scotland (which is great, by the way), it's a bit weird to me that you hardly talk about that day at all.

I was on work experience the week of the Brazil game, and the office closed early for everyone to "go home" to watch the game. I was one of the few who was in the next morning, given i was still only 16 and hadn't spent all night in the pub.

Although everyone expected Brazil to stroll it against Norway, IIRC Norway had a ridiculous record against them at that point, something like never having lost a tournament game against Brazil?

Watched it in a pub in Magaluf on my first ‘lads holiday’ as it was the year we all left High School. One of my mates ended up with an absolute beauty of a black eye due to an accidental uppercut from a ‘Yaaaas!!!’ when John Collins scored.

Watched Brazil game upstairs in Cafe Royal in Edinburgh- scenes when we scored, beer everywhere.

Me and my mate decided that it looked amazing and to go to Bordeaux for the Norway game, no tickets, accommodation or anything. We drove to London, got stuck in a lift at his sister’s flat, (luckily had a carry out), rescued by the fire brigade.

We got Eurostar then the fast train to Bordeaux the next day, were given accommodation in an absolute sh*thole by other Scotland fans who refused to stay there because it was so manky. Got steaming the night before the game, lost wallet with all my money but it was an unbelievable night.

Woke up rough as f*ck to an unbelievable stench catching the back of my throat as my mate had mistaken the bidet for a toilet and shat in it during the night...made quick exit after his hasty clean up operation. Had a few medicinal pints, then went to the big screen, met a few folk by chance who’d gone out to France,  got steaming in one of best days out ever.

Seem to remember we dominated the game. Dailly was LWB and skinning his man the entire game but had a hopeless left foot and no end product. They were brutal but scored on half time, justice was done by Burley although we should have won. 

Somehow then spent the night with an attractive French girl who inexplicably took a shine to me, while my mate dossed on a park bench.

Mid 20’s, prime of life. A great time to be alive.

I was working at the new clubhouse being built at Strathaven golf club near East Kilbride on the first plumbing fix, running heating pipes and hot/cold supplies from the plant room throughout the building, we were all allowed away early as we'd started at 7.00 that morning to get finished just after lunch. 

Staying in Stirling at the time it was still an hours drive away, the motorway was pretty busy with like minded people rushing home for the game and I also had a workmate who didnt drive to drop off in Bannockburn.

Made it in just in time for the national anthems,  cracked a can open with my dad and Brazil opened the scoring just as I was taking my first swig which was utter baws :wacko:

Please post any pics/videos/memories of the Brazil game or the following matches with Norway and Morocco.
Did you travel to France for the tournament? If you stayed at home, do you remember watching it at work, in the pub or in the house?

Yes, I went with pals from London. Flew from Stanstead. Stayed in Lyon and went to Scotland v Morocco. Then drove right across France and took in the Argentina v Croatia game in Bordeaux.

Watched the Brazil game in a packed Novar Bar. Place went mental when we got the penalty. Beer all over the ceiling.

Watched the Norway game at my bosses house after work. One of my pals committed suicide after the game, so this one sticks in my mind.

We ran out of steam. Tactics of running around covering every blade of grass are all well and good (I'm sure Gordon Durie spent the entire WC doing meaningless breadths of the pitch) but when you've three games in a matter of days it can't work for the duration.
I'm fairly sure Morocco were celebrating qualification at the end too. Minters all round.

I recall a few Morocco fans getting punched silly in the Stand behind the goals at St Etienne for celebrating a bit too in the face of pissed off Scottish fans.

Also recall smiling as Morocco did a lap of honour at the end, only to hear that Norway had beaten Brazil and they had ‘done a Scotland’. So near but yet so far.

That game was a total anticlimax for all concerned.

Our bus was leaving at midnight after the Brazil game so we headed back into the city centre. 

Several drinks later we couldn't find the coach park so one of our party stood in middle of road arms above head to stop the traffic for directions.

Turns out the 1st vehicle was a bloody polis van. Aw naw we're gonnae get lifted was the thoughts. Turns out the polis were very friendly and gave us a lift straight back to the coach park in the back.  We couldn't go back to the bus withoot the sirens though. 

Everyone thought there had been bother. The polis that night were superb. 

Bordeaux thousands upon thousands of ticketless Scotland fans watching the game on the big screens as march after march paraded up and doon the streets creating an unbelievable atmosphere.

The ole solskaer song when he was warming doon after the game thinking he was getting praised from the scottish fans was priceless. Can mind the seats being like bar stools for some daft reason.

Then onto the Morocco game wi great expectations for only more disappointment which seems all par for the course following Scotland. 

An unforgettable trip that will live in the memory for a very long time.

Watched the Brazil game at my mates house with my brother and his mate. Funny to remember four guys jumping off the couch and yelling “Penalty!” at the TV, then going ape before calming down as the realisation hit in that we still had to score it yet. We pretty much all watched through our fingers as Collins hit it.

The one I remenber was the Sweden game at Italia 90. Stuart McCall scored early for us and we hit the roof, nearly giving the cat a heart attack in the process,

I'd almost wiped Morocco from my memories. Awful, just awful, probably second only to Italy at Hampden in terms of being utterly sickened by a Scotland match.

Will we ever do a world cup again? I have a dream, we will get to Canada 2026 and give Honduras a skelping, draw with Germany, and then just need a draw with Papua New Guinea....

I was 9.  Just remember sat right in front of the living room tele absolutley glued to the match with tartain pjs on. 

John Collins cool as f**k winking then the nerveless penalty. Out in the garden at halftime imitating the goal. Then Tom Boyd scored an OG. Dick.

Was at Bellahouston Park watching big screen for Morocco match which was tragic. 

Archived