Your Club's Manager, As A Player

Team: Hibernian. Opinion disregarded

Come on now Scotty, Stubbs has played the vast majority of his career at a higher level with every club he ever played for being substantially bigger than Hearts.

Stubbs also didn’t shite himself and hide under a pile of jackets before the biggest match of his career.

Listen, no c**t is saying Tommy Wright is better than Levein, Stubbs or Lennon fs, but Martin fucking Canning.
[mention=12782]Ludo*1[/mention] put Dundee’s obsession with Sir Tommy to one side for a minute and get him above Canning ffs. 
I'm probably better than Canning tbf

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Didn't Tommy Wright's caps come when TFS were absolutely shite? Worse even than Scotland?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Does it matter? He was a regular in the Epl before injury struck. 

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The European trophy that was won under Clarke's tenure at Chelsea was the UEFA Cup Winners Cup which had about the same prestige as the Intertoto Cup. 

I take it the above remark was meant to be comically ridiculous?

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If we were to rate the league's managers 1-12 in order to best to worst, we'd have a fairly decent debate. However, I reckon if we judged them as players we'd see some more interesting results as the likes of Gerrard can't really be rated as a manager as of yet.

Here's my go:

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon (I'd have Neil McCann ahead personally, but I'm trying to be objective and Lennon had a much longer period of time at the 'top'.)

3. Neil McCann.

4. Steve Clarke

5. Craig Levein

6.  Alan Stubbs

7. Derek McInnes

8. Martin Canning

9.  Stephen Robinson

10.. Tommy Wright (I'll confess I didn't see much, but he seems like the Steve Harper of his generation consistently the number 2 or 3 wherever he went)

11. Brendan Rodgers

12. David Martindale (Since Livi don't have a manager as of yet, he's being designated in this position as the highest ranked current member of staff).

I expect this to be extremely subjective as I could see any from 2-6 being in any sort of order. This thread stems from a thread I made about 8 year ago in the First Division forum so seems apt to rejuvenate the debate now as we are in the extremely boring pre-pre-season period.

Numbers 4 and 5 reversed but, that aside, your list is correct.

28 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

No he wasn't. 

He was, I just never specified what sort of regular he was.. 

Good idea for a thread.

Can only really comment on McCann and Levein and both would probably make most jambos all time 11.

Say what you want about Levein being a shite manager or a general c**t but he was a tremendous player. Pre injury he could’ve played for anyone.

McCann is also a shite manager and a general c**t but was unplayable at times. 4-3 Coca-Cola cup against rangers was the best individual performance I’ve seen live.

Guest JTS98
9 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I absolutely adored Neil McCann, but Levein was the higher quality player.  If it wasn't for injuries he'd have been at the very top.

Agree with this. Both heroes, but Levein's injuries robbed Scottish football of a truly great player.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, topsider said:

McCann is also a shite manager and a general c**t but was unplayable at times. 4-3 Coca-Cola cup against rangers was the best individual performance I’ve seen live.

It was a thing of unspeakable beauty. As I told McCann about ten years ago in the Tynecastle Arms when I was absolutely steaming. He was charitably nice to me.