Your Club's Manager, As A Player

If we were to rate the league's managers 1-12 in order to best to worst, we'd have a fairly decent debate. However, I reckon if we judged them as players we'd see some more interesting results as the likes of Gerrard can't really be rated as a manager as of yet.

Here's my go:

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon (I'd have Neil McCann ahead personally, but I'm trying to be objective and Lennon had a much longer period of time at the 'top'.)

3. Neil McCann.

4. Steve Clarke

5. Craig Levein

6.  Alan Stubbs

7. Derek McInnes

8. Martin Canning

9.  Stephen Robinson

10.. Tommy Wright (I'll confess I didn't see much, but he seems like the Steve Harper of his generation consistently the number 2 or 3 wherever he went)

11. Brendan Rodgers

12. David Martindale (Since Livi don't have a manager as of yet, he's being designated in this position as the highest ranked current member of staff).

I expect this to be extremely subjective as I could see any from 2-6 being in any sort of order. This thread stems from a thread I made about 8 year ago in the First Division forum so seems apt to rejuvenate the debate now as we are in the extremely boring pre-pre-season period.

Quite a big top six / bottom six split there. Levein and Stubbs were excellent players. Levein would have played a lot more for Scotland but for his knee problems. Stubbs would have played for England in a different era, or maybe if he'd moved to one of the bigger English clubs instead of Celtic. Arsenal were interested at that time, but the deal fell through because Bruce Rioch (who had managed Stubbs at Bolton) was about to be sacked.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/stubbs-the-iron-man-who-refused-to-give-in-to-cancer-140481.html

If we were to rate the league's managers 1-12 in order to best to worst, we'd have a fairly decent debate. However, I reckon if we judged them as players we'd see some more interesting results as the likes of Gerrard can't really be rated as a manager as of yet.
Here's my go:
1. Steven Gerrard
2. Neil Lennon (I'd have Neil McCann ahead personally, but I'm trying to be objective and Lennon had a much longer period of time at the 'top'.)
3. Neil McCann.
4. Steve Clarke
5. Craig Levein
6.  Alan Stubbs
7. Derek McInnes
8. Martin Canning
9.  Stephen Robinson
10.. Tommy Wright (I'll confess I didn't see much, but he seems like the Steve Harper of his generation consistently the number 2 or 3 wherever he went)
11. Brendan Rodgers
12. David Martindale (Since Livi don't have a manager as of yet, he's being designated in this position as the highest ranked current member of staff).

I expect this to be extremely subjective as I could see any from 2-6 being in any sort of order. This thread stems from a thread I made about 8 year ago in the First Division forum so seems apt to rejuvenate the debate now as we are in the extremely boring pre-pre-season period.
Does this but can't get a 50 most hated players list done . . . [emoji48]

Sent from my 9022X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Wright played for his country over 30 times, lets put McCann and Canning ahead if him :lol:

Stephen Robinson, 7 caps for NI and muddled about Championship/League One down south. 

Tommy Wright, 30 caps for NI and spent most of his career in the Premier League/Championship, first choice at Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Reading before injuries forced him out the team and he didn't get back into the side. 

That's an odd one, before we move on to Canning who spent his whole career in Scotland. 

If folk are talking about Levein being class but severely hampered by injuries, the exact same applies to Wright. 

Why isn't Martin Canning 23rd in this list?

The fact that he made a living as a professional footballer is an embarrassment to all of us that didn't.  He was absolutely dire.  But aye, let's put him above two internationalists (Robinson & Wright) in the list.  FFS!

Surely Steve Clarke had a better playing career than Neil McCann?  He played for a St Mirren team who were pretty tidy in the 1980s and then had a decade at Chelsea, where he won domestic and European trophies.  McCann was a terrific player but suffered due to injuries.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Wright played for his country over 30 times, lets put McCann and Canning ahead if him :lol:

As opposed to McCann who played 26 times for his country which was ranked higher over the period. 

Tommy Wright's club career only seen him feature in a total of 169 games...

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Surely Steve Clarke had a better playing career than Neil McCann?  He played for a St Mirren team who were pretty tidy in the 1980s and then had a decade at Chelsea, where he won domestic and European trophies.  McCann was a terrific player but suffered due to injuries.

Also voted RB in the all time greatest Chelsea team by their fans

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I see the list down to 6th as pretty interchangeable tbh. The European trophy that was won under Clarke's tenure at Chelsea was the UEFA Cup Winners Cup which had about the same prestige as the Intertoto Cup. Only 6 caps for Scotland and whilst Chelsea were a good cup side, winning 1 FA cup and League Cup in his 11 years there, Chelsea were hardly the powerhouse they are today. 

Certainly is an argument that can be made though. 

The only one I think I'd change on hindsight would be Canning for Robinson. Canning got the nod purely because I value top flight Scottish football ahead of the English League One. 

I see the list down to 6th as pretty interchangeable tbh. The European trophy that was won under Clarke's tenure at Chelsea was the UEFA Cup Winners Cup which had about the same prestige as the Intertoto Cup. Only 6 caps for Scotland and whilst Chelsea were a good cup side, winning 1 FA cup and League Cup in his 11 years there, Chelsea were hardly the powerhouse they are today. 
The only one I think I'd change on hindsight would be Canning for Robinson. Canning got the nod purely because I value top flight Scottish football ahead of the English League One. 
What about Robinson's time in the English Championship- where does that put him against Canning?

30 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

What about Robinson's time in the English Championship- where does that put him against Canning?

Above him, as you'd see if you actually read the part where I said I'd probably change that one...