Junior Cup Washout in September .. ?

mick90

Pyramid News has raised the spectre of a Junior cup wash-out in September, which must be very close as only 29 ties went on last season and two north clubs are not starting this year.

It raises the question of whether it is sensible to have a `blank` or tiny round then ... or maybe delaying that until November, which usually produces lots of postponements and replays all the way through winter ...

It is easily done ... simply draw enough byes to leave an `even` round in October ... then pull a couple of numbers for the few who would need to play in November ..

Can SJFA move on .... or will they dish out the same old .. same old .. crap ?  Maybe we know the answer already ...

On the site, I believe the photos from Monday`s massive attendance at Shortlees show what the public really want ... and when they want it.

I think there are
62 or 63 West Clubs (Johnstone Burgh banned for 2018, Dunipace left for EOS, possibly a new Stonehouse Violet joining)
36 East Clubs
32 North Clubs (Lewis United Folding, Inverness City in Abeyance)

So that suggests round one will consist of either 2 or 3 ties depending on whether Stonehouse join. Certainly seems logical to try and play more than 2 ties in September. Whether the blazers will agree is another matter.  

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The main one being that everyone plays in round 1 then the byes are done in round 2.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Thatwouldvbe by far5he best scenario 

Have all in round 1 in middle of August 

Have Round 2 which will include byes at Start of September and you are possibly at last 32 before bad weather kicks in therefore limiting fixture congestion 

Ps scrapreplays too 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The main one being that everyone plays in round 1 then the byes are done in round 2.

I’ve never heard the utter nonsense. Not aimed at you btw - you obviously never came up with the idea.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

OK, so you start with 130 clubs, you play 65 ties so you end up with 65 teams in the draw for round 2.  How many byes do you have to give?

The answer is 63!!!  You play 1 tie.  Not much improvement there.

39 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

OK, so you start with 130 clubs, you play 65 ties so you end up with 65 teams in the draw for round 2.  How many byes do you have to give?

130 is a rubbish number, but why not play 2 preliminary ties based regionally at Start of August, and then 1st Round Proper at end of August? Draw it at the same time as the preliminary ties? I

Think we’ve almost got something sensible. Preliminary round end of August - enough ties played to leave 128 teams in competition. First round (used to be second) end of September. Second round end of October. That leaves 32 teams standing then close the tournament over the Winter and resume March. Scrap replays and 2 legged SFs and we might get some league games played before May.

18 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Sounds daft but that would be the solution - only difference being that round 2 and 3 would need to be drawn at same time and played same day (including the solitary round 2 game)- then all round 3 ties could be done in September with exception of the one - still a better solution than we have currently

Exactly. Only someone who doesn't understand the arithmetic of a cup draw could suggest such nonsense.

The byes must be in the first round.

Archived