West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:
26 minutes ago, iPhone said:
To be fair, sometimes it does a bit.

I disagree. When every team has played every team, the league table is always a fair reflection.

I feel that regularly refs give descision in favour of the bigger teams eg a soft pen, or a dodgy offside position which can make the difference in a tight game from being a draw to a win. If that happens a few times a season it can be the difference of 4, 6 or even 8 points in a season which can make a difference to a league win.

Just my opinion and it’s not every season, it probably is in the minority.

I disagree. When every team has played every team, the league table is always a fair reflection.

I have to agree with iPhone, again most of the time the league doesn’t lie, but 2 seasons ago Kilsyth were flying and having played 2 games more than Girvan were made to play Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday where they dropped a fair few points and Girvan’s regular league season extended beyond Kilsyth’s, playing Saturday to Saturday with the odd midweek game thrown in making their run in a LOT easier in my opinion.

Generally the league doesn’t lie, but when the playing field isn’t even and isn’t set out in advance then it can lead to anomalies here and there. Just my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

I have to agree with iPhone, again most of the time the league doesn’t lie, but 2 seasons ago Kilsyth were flying and having played 2 games more than Girvan were made to play Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday where they dropped a fair few points and Girvan’s regular league season extended beyond Kilsyth’s, playing Saturday to Saturday with the odd midweek game thrown in making their run in a LOT easier in my opinion.

Generally the league doesn’t lie, but when the playing field isn’t even and isn’t set out in advance then it can lead to anomalies here and there. Just my opinion.

This is good example of what can happen too.

Arthurlie and Girvan will now both be under new management as they drop down into this league. With only a week or two till most teams are returning to pre-season training, and most players having already decided on where they'll be playing next season, it's not a good time for any club to be without a manager.

Arthurlie and Girvan will now both be under new management as they drop down into this league. With only a week or two till most teams are returning to pre-season training, and most players having already decided on where they'll be playing next season, it's not a good time for any club to be without a manager.

It has taken far longer than it should imo to get a new man in. Considering he is inheriting 3/4 players from last years squad I fear for us doing a Sunderland. Hope I am wrong.

It has taken far longer than it should imo to get a new man in. Considering he is inheriting 3/4 players from last years squad I fear for us doing a Sunderland. Hope I am wrong.
That was our problem in 2010 when Smith and Patterson moved on to Petershill, leaving us with very little time to appoint a manager and throw together a squad from nothing. Willie Harvey did what he could but it was never going to work, no manager would have kept us in the top league that season due to the circumstances.

That was our problem in 2010 when Smith and Patterson moved on to Petershill, leaving us with very little time to appoint a manager and throw together a squad from nothing. Willie Harvey did what he could but it was never going to work, no manager would have kept us in the top league that season due to the circumstances.

I remember. You did beat us though!!

We should know tonight who is signing for the coming season as training starts,it will be a brand new team as far as I know everyone has gone
Think we'l be about the same Larky ,a few staying but not many ,tough going with brand new teams ,we were needing a fresh start though so trying to be positive [emoji16]

Yes, teams who are still feeling about for their squad during pre-season will likely be off the pace when the proper stuff gets going.
Vics will most likely be in that category Peter, unfortunately. New management team are in place but bulk of last season's squad have followed Stevie Wilson to the Winton.

T

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Vics will most likely be in that category Peter, unfortunately. New management team are in place but bulk of last season's squad have followed Stevie Wilson to the Winton.

T

PS a fresh start might be good for us given our last two showings in this league.

1 hour ago, tombo said:

PS a fresh start might be good for us given our last two showings in this league.

I don't think anybody can make any comparisons with the previous Super League Division One.

Previously it was 4 down out of 14 and only 2 up automatically plus a play-off. Now it's 16 teams and 3 up and 3 down.

That's a completely different dynamic, so I see this being quite a different type of league.

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t wait to get started in this league now the fixtures have been released. Doesn’t look like there will be many easy games from top to bottom. We all know Darvel have it wrapped up already, but who do we reckon will finish 2nd ??