End of season

pleslie99

Now we are into June I was wondering how many games some teams have left to play. I know of a team who can still win the league but have 4 games still to play. Iv always been told the end of the season is the 31st May. Teams are already all over social media arranging pre season friendlies staring next week, this is very pre season seeing as this season isn't finished for many clubs. I know that every league and association is different but surely we need to have an end point at some stage? I think some teams need to make more of an effort to get games played to get the season done. Dragging games out into June could have an effect on the standard of opposition faced if others have been wrapped up for weeks with nothing to play for. I think the Scottish cup final should be moved back and made the last game of the season for everyone. The goal posts down here will be removed by the council this weekend so in their eyes it's done. What's everyone's view on this?

It's extremely difficult for the really successful teams to fit games in before the end of May though simply due to not having enough Saturday's in the calendar. A bad winter for Scotland can also cause major problems with an end of season backlog.

The solution would be to play more midweek games during the season / winter months but the availability of parks just isn't there.

No easy solutions.

I think teams should try to play more midweek games at the beginning of the season if possible. Always seems to be lots of games to play at the end when maybe they could play a few more at the beginning

5 hours ago, josecc said:

I think teams should try to play more midweek games at the beginning of the season if possible. Always seems to be lots of games to play at the end when maybe they could play a few more at the beginning

Midweek pitches are brutal to come by, especially on 3g where centres make more by having 2x 7 a side bookings in the 2hrs instead of a full 11's slot being booked 

Glasgow life just put up their prices last week, hour of 7's is 56 quid, 2hrs of 11's is 96 quid, 

Get the season up and running mid july instead of 2nd wk in august. That wud get u wrapped up for scottish cup final and boys wud still get a decent break before starting back up pre season.

Get the season up and running mid july instead of 2nd wk in august. That wud get u wrapped up for scottish cup final and boys wud still get a decent break before starting back up pre season.
Totally agree. Some leagues don't start until end of August which is ridiculous. Factor in the league cups etc and it is no surprise that teams run into June with games. Scottish final should be last game of the season for all, after that no more games should be allowed. There are some games happening just now that make a mockery of leagues. Seeing double figures getting put past normally good teams just because they have nothing left to play for and half the guys have packed it in for the season. One of these teams is a Sunday Scottish cup finalist.

In my experience lads drag there heels abit getting back into pre season and only start appearing once the friendlies start. Mid July would let u keep ur league cup and still get a good chunck of league games played in the better weather. You would have a good 6 weeks of 2 games a week. If u were finished for mid-end May and started back say last week in June boys would still get a good break and it would give u 2-3 wks minimum pre season before league cup started. 

On 01/06/2018 at 22:52, Redondo said:

In my experience lads drag there heels abit getting back into pre season and only start appearing once the friendlies start. Mid July would let u keep ur league cup and still get a good chunck of league games played in the better weather. You would have a good 6 weeks of 2 games a week. If u were finished for mid-end May and started back say last week in June boys would still get a good break and it would give u 2-3 wks minimum pre season before league cup started. 

Makes sense but lets face it the people in charge wont change as they would have to admit that we the fans can actually think of things that can better the game 

as for dropping some of the cups thats a no go as the game needs the money that's put in by the sponsors 

On 01/06/2018 at 10:01, jaggyness said:

Maybe scrapping some of the leagues Cup competitions would relieve the fixture backlog as especially at the start of the season teams treat these as pre season games anyway

Too many cup competitions. Nake league cup knockout in all leagues instead of groups.

Theres a fine line between cutting games, starting seasons earlier though and then teams maybe not having regular games post christmas leading to teams losing players who are bored/wanting to play everyweek, 

Having one game every two weeks can kill teams after xmas, 

Theres a fine line between cutting games, starting seasons earlier though and then teams maybe not having regular games post christmas leading to teams losing players who are bored/wanting to play everyweek, 
Is that any different to right now where numerous teams across the country are forfeiting games because they can't field a team? Because they have nothing to play for. I seen today on the AFF Twitter that a team won their league because an opponent forfeited the game against them. How does that help the integrity of any league? Iv always wanted to play, regardless of whether it's in a cup final or a friendly, guys not bothering to turn up baffles me.

41 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Is that any different to right now where numerous teams across the country are forfeiting games because they can't field a team? Because they have nothing to play for. I seen today on the AFF Twitter that a team won their league because an opponent forfeited the game against them. How does that help the integrity of any league? Iv always wanted to play, regardless of whether it's in a cup final or a friendly, guys not bothering to turn up baffles me.

I agree, but say they do away with league cup groups or do away with cups (this season my team played in 4 cups and an 18 game league, we just played our cup final friday night to finish the season) teams might literally have blank weeks with no friendly opponents wanting to play/available to play during the season

Keeping teams interested after xmas is a nightmare, its understandable teams not fulfilling fixtures in june (still shite) but teams not fulfilling fixtures in February or march is league defining and if theres less cup games or season starts earlier this could happeb

Archived