Emigration

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Torpar said:

@Miguel Sanchez had the much better joke there. In my defense, English can be hard for some immigrants. 

One thing that does annoy me here is that I get the impression a lot of immigrants have no desire to really integrate. They are numerous Little, insert city/country name, communities. Little Portual/ Mogadishu/Italy/India/Poland even Little Malta, Greektown Two Koreatowns and Chinatowns.  Areas that are mostly Jewish. You could quite easier live in a neighbourhood surrounded by your fellow countryman, go to a doctor from your home country, do your banking only in your native language and only eat food originally from your home country. I often wonder why some people moved in the first place. Someone at work told me about a "Uk Ex-pats" meetup group. I couldn't imagine anything worse.

There's a quite obvious difference between a UK expats group located in Canada and immigrants establishing themselves first within in a community of fellow speakers; the former have absolutely no need for services to be provided in  their native language because it's also the established language of that state (and by far the most widely used across the world).  Any brownie points you'd like to award yourself for having successfully 'integrated'  in one part of the Anglosphere after leaving another are therefore dismissed. I'm not sure why you expect people to move halfway across the world and immediately switch to having complex services like their health check-ups or banking being done in a language that they won't have a full grasp of when they already have countrymen who can provide them in their native language.  That is quite simply how migrant patterns of settlement have operated in the modern world over generations. 

I set up a dog sanctuary, never look bark.

Not expecting  a knock at the door is always a  pleasure.  Worse still, not having to go a knock on some c***s door!!!

Also it doesn't rain as much.

I won't be back, unless there is a serious emergency with my 2 sisters.

Sorry, forgot, Russian Roulette, only been beaten twice, both ears. 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

There's a quite obvious difference between a UK expats group located in Canada and immigrants establishing themselves first within in a community of fellow speakers; the former have absolutely no need for services to be provided in  their native language because it's also the established language of that state (and by far the most widely used across the world).  Any brownie points you'd like to award yourself for having successfully 'integrated'  in one part of the Anglosphere after leaving another are therefore dismissed. I'm not sure why you expect people to move halfway across the world and immediately switch to having complex services like their health check-ups or banking being done in a language that they won't have a full grasp of when they already have countrymen who can provide them in their native language.  That is quite simply how migrant patterns of settlement have operated in the modern world over generations. 

That’s a fair point if we are talking about people new to the country. I should have made my post clearer, there are people who have lived here for over ten years who have never shown any desire to learn English or French and prefer to isolate themselves in their own ethnic bubbles. Which I personally dislike. I never wished to award myself brownie points, the OP asked was it difficult to integrate, which I answered in my first post.

17 minutes ago, Torpar said:

That’s a fair point if we are talking about people new to the country. I should have made my post clearer, there are people who have lived here for over ten years who have never shown any desire to learn English or French and prefer to isolate themselves in their own ethnic bubbles. Which I personally dislike. I never wished to award myself brownie points, the OP asked was it difficult to integrate, which I answered in my first post.

It's not always that simple though. In my case, there are 4 differing written forms of Japanese with Kanji alone being made up of over 3000 different characters so even though I could end up fluent vocally in the language it highly unlikely I'll ever be up to scratch on the written form.

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

It's not always that simple though. In my case, there are 4 differing written forms of Japanese with Kanji alone being made up of over 3000 different characters so even though I could end up fluent vocally in the language it highly unlikely I'll ever be up to scratch on the written form.

I can understand it being difficult or near impossible for a Western to master Japanese languages. But if you came from say Portugal to a city were English is the main language used, one written form and a similar alphabet to Portuguese, it might be reasonable to expect someone to have a decent grasp of the language after 10 years 

16 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:
12 hours ago, sjc said:
It wasn't that different in Scotland TBH unless you got hold of the Sporting Post on a Saturday night!

What was the name of the fictional detective in the SP? Dixon somebody?

Fucked if I can remember! Tried to google "the sporting post" and found nothing either :( 

1 minute ago, Torpar said:

I can understand it being difficult or near impossible for a Western to master Japanese languages. But if you came from say Portugal to a city were English is the main language used, one written form and a similar alphabet to Portuguese, it might be reasonable to expect someone to have a decent grasp of the language after 10 years 

I agree with that. If it were just Romaji for me to master in the written format I'd stand more of a chance! Having to translate from either of Kanji, Hiragana or Katakana into Romaji THEN into English in order to understand a word is a pain in the arse but it's their Country and their rules!

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

I agree with that. If it were just Romaji for me to master in the written format I'd stand more of a chance! Having to translate from either of Kanji, Hiragana or Katakana into Romaji THEN into English in order to understand a word is a pain in the arse but it's their Country and their rules!

Yup, just ask Jay Bothroyd 

1919 - 2000.......quite a career!
Still have a scrapbook in my folks' loft gathering dust with cuttings me and my bro would take from the papers about Saints. Including the immortal 'Saints Go Nap!!' Sporting Post headline when we scudded Aberdeen. Happy days!

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:
7 minutes ago, sjc said:
1919 - 2000.......quite a career!

Still have a scrapbook in my folks' loft gathering dust with cuttings me and my bro would take from the papers about Saints. Including the immortal 'Saints Go Nap!!' Sporting Post headline when we scudded Aberdeen. Happy days!

Would the Sporting Post be kept on microfesh (sp) or the like in the library in Perth or Dundee? (wasn't it a DC Thomson publication?)

20 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Im still not over that.  

Archived