Emigration

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

How was the process for obtaining common law status? How much did you end up paying/how long did it take?

To qualify for common law sponsorship we had cohabit for 12 months. I started the process by sending my initial application in January 2017, the application was sent back twice, once was my fault, second time was immigration's fault.  After they decide you meet the criteria you have to go for a medical including a blood and urine test and a chest x-ray which I did in July 2017.  Then there a lot of waiting and worrying. We didn't have to go for an interview to prove we were a genuine couple but a lot of people do. The final step was the Landing Interview, we went to the local immigration office, got handed a number, sat and waited then went to a desk window, answered a few basic questions, have you ever been charged with a crime, ever been deported etc. Then you sign a couple of forms and they say congratulations you are now a Permanent Residence, your card will come in the post in two months. I had to think about the cost  but it was roughly $1600/900 pounds. This covered the application fees, the temporary work permit I had to get well I waited on a decision, UK police certificate, RCMP certificate, Medical costs and professional photographs.  

26 minutes ago, sjc said:

What happened with him? I completely missed it....sorry

I believe the gist of it was he was turned away from a golf club in Japan as they had a no unaccompanied foreigners rule 

2 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Neither am I emoji4.png

I remember I was working in Somerfield/Asda at the time and got the final score off someone through the back.  I assumed they were taking the piss and didn't believe it until my dad brought in the Green Final later on.  Seething.

Would the Sporting Post be kept on microfesh (sp) or the like in the library in Perth or Dundee? (wasn't it a DC Thomson publication?)
No idea, I'd check at the library if I didn't have an enormous fine hanging over my head.

Anyway, to keep on track I lived in Ireland for a while, it was nice.

I remember I was working in Somerfield/Asda at the time and got the final score off someone through the back.  I assumed they were taking the piss and didn't believe it until my dad brought in the Green Final later on.  Seething.

The only thing I was, still am seething, about was that there were no cameras there, as I think they went to Tynecastle to commemorate Joe Jordan's first game in charge of Hearts...which was a 0-0 shitefest or something.

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:
5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The only thing I was, still am seething, about was that there were no cameras there, as I think they went to Tynecastle to commemorate Joe Jordan's first game in charge of Hearts...which was a 0-0 shitefest or something.

Phew!

6 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I believe the gist of it was he was turned away from a golf club in Japan as they had a no unaccompanied foreigners rule 

They do have some quirky rules here. I was asked not to come back to my local onsen due to having tattoos as it`s a symbol of being Yakuza (Japanese mafia).........

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

They do have some quirky rules here. I was asked not to come back to my local onsen due to having tattoos as it`s a symbol of being Yakuza (Japanese mafia).........

Hope you walked off shouting JAMBOS FUCKING ROOLZ.

I've been living in London for the last 8 years now (apart from six months living in Italy) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't work in the city though so mostly avoid the commuting hell. I moved down here at 26 and it is everything a young guy needs really. 

Have moved on substantially in my career in that time, had wonderful experiences as well as some awful ones. I leave in summer and am moving to Madrid, which I am incredibly excited about.

Have also lived in Sweden in the past. I've really enjoyed the experience of being an emigrant and I appreciate visits home. Like others said though, worries about family are the main thing, I really fear getting calls about something happening to parents, especially since they are getting on a bit.

Shouldn’t have joined the Yakuza...

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

To qualify for common law sponsorship we had cohabit for 12 months. I started the process by sending my initial application in January 2017, the application was sent back twice, once was my fault, second time was immigration's fault.  After they decide you meet the criteria you have to go for a medical including a blood and urine test and a chest x-ray which I did in July 2017.  Then there a lot of waiting and worrying. We didn't have to go for an interview to prove we were a genuine couple but a lot of people do. The final step was the Landing Interview, we went to the local immigration office, got handed a number, sat and waited then went to a desk window, answered a few basic questions, have you ever been charged with a crime, ever been deported etc. Then you sign a couple of forms and they say congratulations you are now a Permanent Residence, your card will come in the post in two months. I had to think about the cost  but it was roughly $1600/900 pounds. This covered the application fees, the temporary work permit I had to get well I waited on a decision, UK police certificate, RCMP certificate, Medical costs and professional photographs.  

Nice one thanks for that. I've been at least two years (none of it in Canada) but I suppose it's something I need to start thinking about it. Did you have an immigration lawyer? I'm assuming you applied whilst in the country? How long after July did you receive your permanent residency? 

21 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Nice one thanks for that. I've been at least two years (none of it in Canada) but I suppose it's something I need to start thinking about it. Did you have an immigration lawyer? I'm assuming you applied whilst in the country? How long after July did you receive your permanent residency? 

I didn't bother with an immigration lawyer, there were a lot of forms and a lot of information you have to provide but I didn't find it too difficult just to do it myself and there are some great online forums to help. I applied while in the country yes, known as an Inland application. I had five months left on my open work permit (working holiday visa effectively)  at the time so had to get a two year 'bridging' work permit while I waited from my Permanent Residency decision being made so I could keep working. Sorry I should have said, after my medical in July, I finally got my PR a week ago! The processing time is quoted as 12 months usually but I believe they had a huge backlog, caused possibly by a huge number of refugee claims last year 

Emigrating to the US, and I assume Canada, isn't a quick process. There something like 4 million people waiting to get into the US.

A popular Chinese route for US immigration is the EB-5 visa and it costs $500,000.
China. A country build on manufacturing plastic Poundland garbage.

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I didn't bother with an immigration lawyer, there were a lot of forms and a lot of information you have to provide but I didn't find it too difficult just to do it myself and there are some great online forums to help. I applied while in the country yes, known as an Inland application. I had five months left on my open work permit (working holiday visa effectively)  at the time so had to get a two year 'bridging' work permit while I waited from my Permanent Residency decision being made so I could keep working. Sorry I should have said, after my medical in July, I finally got my PR a week ago! The processing time is quoted as 12 months usually but I believe they had a huge backlog, caused possibly by a huge number of refugee claims last year 

Cheers and congrats on the permit! It's something I'm definitely going to do a bit more research into. I'm not even bothered at all for moving from Scotland but it's something I'll probably end up having to do in a couple of years.

6 hours ago, sjc said:

Remind them who won the fucking war.

Archived