Scottish Junior Cup [ Trophy ]

holmparkheroes

Since Sunday's cup final was the last one including all teams, and given Talbot's incredible success in the tournament, I reckon they should be awarded the trophy. A new one could be presented to future winners if the competition continues in any form.

4 minutes ago, holmparkheroes said:

Since Sunday's cup final was the last one including all teams, and given Talbot's incredible success in the tournament, I reckon they should be awarded the trophy. A new one could be presented to future winners if the competition continues in any form.

Fantastic idea. Where it belongs. It probably pays council tax for staying in Auchinleck anyway.

I hope a discussion will take place on including non-junior non-league side. I'd love to see the teams in HL/LL/SOS/EOS/NCL involved, even if HL/LL don't take part, the others will still add value to the competition.

I don't care how that competition would be called, but I have no issues with the name "junior cup" remaining due to the history of the competition. A new trophy to mark the start of a new era and leaving the old one in Auchinleck would not be a bad idea.

9 minutes ago, Marten said:

I hope a discussion will take place on including non-junior non-league side. I'd love to see the teams in HL/LL/SOS/EOS/NCL involved, even if HL/LL don't take part, the others will still add value to the competition.

I don't care how that competition would be called, but I have no issues with the name "junior cup" remaining due to the history of the competition. A new trophy to mark the start of a new era and leaving the old one in Auchinleck would not be a bad idea.

Unfortunately however good that idea is I suspect it would receive very little support from the remaining Junior clubs who would quite rightly see it as "their" cup.

Can see the old cup ending up in the Hampden Museum, maybe present Auchinleck with a replica?? 

21 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

I dont get how Sundays will be the last cup to include all teams, next season will include all junior sides so it will be the Scottish same as before?

Won't quite be the same R, with a fair reduction in the number of teams in it. No more trips to Dunbar ?  to see the Arthurlie lino sent off !

3 minutes ago, holmparkheroes said:

Won't quite be the same R, with a fair reduction in the number of teams in it. No more trips to Dunbar ?  to see the Arthurlie lino sent off !

Things always change, should Arthurlies 98 win not count because Rossvale and Gartcairn never took part? Regards Dunbar the best part of the day was the supporters club being blown away with the hospitality their received until the players came out and realises their buffet etc had been demolished! haha

16 minutes ago, Nugent4nil said:

Things always change, should Arthurlies 98 win not count because Rossvale and Gartcairn never took part? Regards Dunbar the best part of the day was the supporters club being blown away with the hospitality their received until the players came out and realises their buffet etc had been demolished! haha

We're not just talking about the odd side but a significant migration away from the grade including some big names. Sadly that will lead to a devaluation of the trophy. 

We're seeing the beginning of the end for it in terms of being the greatest non-league competition, but of course that doesn't detract from previous wins. 

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

We're not just talking about the odd side but a significant migration away from the grade including some big names. Sadly that will lead to a devaluation of the trophy. 

We're seeing the beginning of the end for it in terms of being the greatest non-league competition, but of course that doesn't detract from previous wins. 

If things go the way they seem to be at the moment with maybe 15-20% of the grade taking their leave at the end of the season it looks like this year was the the last "proper" iteration of the competition. Even more so the following  season - the WoSL looks inevitable, and going by events in the east it would not be too much of a flight of fancy to extrapolate as many as a couple of divisions' worth of clubs leaving again.

You could argue each mass departure devalues the competition by a correlating amount - winning it next year will be 20% less of an achievement, the following year maybe anything up to 40% less. I'd open it up to all non-league teams, or at the very least allow the former Junior clubs entry.

It's a time where we should be building bridges, not dynamiting them and hunkering down in bunkers of purism.

Archived