Can you be neutral and would you want to be?

Fullerene

I realize that some people are totally predictable about any game involving England, Germany or Argentina - but what about the rest?

For example, Senegal versus Poland or Belgium versus Panama?

Would you watch the game as a neutral or would you choose a team and then hope they win?

• Fullerene changed the title to Can you be neutral and would you want to be?
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuine neutrality kills interest in a match, in my experience. Looking at all the teams that qualified, I could probably find a reason to want any one to win over the other, no matter how petty it might be (I won't be upset if the culinary geniuses of Mexico have a good tournament, for example). Generally I side with the underdog, though.

Serbia v Switzerland is probably the tie I'd find hardest to give a shit about, appropriately. Thankfully I got one of them in the sweep  :P

morocco v iran, has to be morocco, but as for teams i'd like to do well uruguay iceland mexico peru egypt morocco don think any will get passed r2 but  you never know, portugal spain argentina nigeria poland senegal  england belgium france russia saudi  can all f**k off, 

Genuine neutrality kills interest in a match, in my experience. Looking at all the teams that qualified, I could probably find a reason to want any one to win over the other, no matter how petty it might be (I won't be upset if the culinary geniuses of Mexico have a good tournament, for example). Generally I side with the underdog, though.
Serbia v Switzerland is probably the tie I'd find hardest to give a shit about, appropriately. Thankfully I got one of them in the sweep  [emoji14]

Do you like Toblerone???

21 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Do you like Toblerone???

Pretty neutral on the vexed question of triangular cocoa products.

Actually, the Nazi gold issue might swing it for me. Pretty disgusting behaviour, and not the kind of thing I'd expect from the Serbs during times of war.

Actually, the Nazi gold issue might swing it for me. Pretty disgusting behaviour, and not the kind of thing I'd expect from the Serbs during times of war.

Their chocolate is shite as well!!!

Serbia is the England of the Balkans though which works against it.

15 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I realize that some people are totally predictable about any game involving England, Germany or Argentina - but what about the rest?

For example, Senegal versus Poland or Belgium versus Panama?

Would you watch the game as a neutral or would you choose a team and then hope they win?

Whit?

5 hours ago, Nastro said:

Wanting England to do well is frowned upon then?

Oh well.

I hope you enjoy your time in our country, stranger from a faraway land.

I can enjoy World Cup matches as a neutral provided they're entertaining. They tend to be pretty cagey affairs unless one of the teams is sufficiently superior or sufficiently mental.

Usually I will wait to find out which team the arseholish English commentators are favouring (for whatever tenuous reason) and hope they get creamed.

15 hours ago, Nastro said:

Wanting England to do well is frowned upon then?

Oh well.

I know plenty of English people who aren't even bothered with the England team themselves anymore...

20 minutes ago, nsr said:

I can enjoy World Cup matches as a neutral provided they're entertaining. They tend to be pretty cagey affairs unless one of the teams is sufficiently superior or sufficiently mental.

Usually I will wait to find out which team the arseholish English commentators are favouring (for whatever tenuous reason) and hope they get creamed.

This.  Football's supposed to be entertainment, and you don't need to have a horse in the race for that to happen.  I've never seen the point in picking some arbitrary country to "support".  You'd think I would have, given there's only really one tournament in my own living memory where a team I actually support participated.   So in the spirit of half-and-half scarves, I just hope everyone has a wonderful time.

Closest I'd go would be that I like Italy and Germany as countries, but one isn't there and the other I'm still raging at for not getting to the Euro 2016 final when I was in Berlin that weekend (fan park was very sad on the day of the final). 

18 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I hope you enjoy your time in our country, stranger from a faraway land.

Thank you very much.

Your weather is pish.

Archived