Deutschland Uber Alles

Will Germany retain their World Cup crown in Russia? Or will the snow stop them?

There's an obvious historical joke about Germany winning in Russia, but I'm not going to go there. 

Obviously it's a very different Germany team from the sublime one we saw in 2014 with Lahm, Klose and Schweinsteiger all retired and Gotze not even in the squad, but there is still plenty of quality throughout their team to beat anyone. 

After winning the World Cup in 2014 Germany seemed to lose that appearance of near-invincibility and suffered some embarrassing results against Ireland, Slovakia, the USA and Poland in recent times.

The German squad looks pish compared to past winners like France 1998 and Spain 2010 but you can’t overlook the German’s hard work and ability to completely shitfest wins.
Something that majorly pisses of the English.

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The German squad looks pish compared to past winners like France 1998 and Spain 2010 but you can’t overlook the German’s hard work and ability to completely shitfest wins.
Something that majorly pisses of the English.

Yes.

Their lousy 2002 side got all the way to the final.

Regardless of how they look, I'd expect them to at least reach the semi-finals this time.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.

Their lousy 2002 side got all the way to the final.

Regardless of how they look, I'd expect them to at least reach the semi-finals this time.

That German side was awful. Oliver Kahn took them there single handedly.

That WC Final was sandwiched between two terrible Euros for the Germans as well.

I remember having no fear of Germany when they were in our Euro 2004 qualifying group, and we were shite back then as well.

Was just thinking their squad looks pretty exciting :lol:

Reus has had an incredible season, and is long overdue an explosive tournament. Sane is Sane, and Werners pace should cause huge problems. That front three could be devastating. Khedira and Kroos a strong midfield, and you add in either Gundogan or Ozil. Defence has huge quality too, aside from left back. 

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they stroll the tournament. 

On 26/05/2018 at 18:30, Richey Edwards said:

Will Germany retain their World Cup crown in Russia? Or will the snow stop them?

There's an obvious historical joke about Germany winning in Russia, but I'm not going to go there. 

Obviously it's a very different Germany team from the sublime one we saw in 2014 with Lahm, Klose and Schweinsteiger all retired and Gotze not even in the squad, but there is still plenty of quality throughout their team to beat anyone. 

After winning the World Cup in 2014 Germany seemed to lose that appearance of near-invincibility and suffered some embarrassing results against Ireland, Slovakia, the USA and Poland in recent times.

If you don't want to make any war references, this is hardly the correct topic title...

Only Brazil in '62 and Italy in '38 have ever successfully defended the World Cup title. Germany's squad doesn't look nearly as strong as it did 4 years ago. 

Archived