(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

I don't recall Falkirk being an uber defensive team, in our games against them they were a decent footballing side.

Hibs fans have often perpetrated a rumour about us being a dirty side. In reality most Falkirk fans of the time bemoaned our total lack of grit and physicality.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wasn't great, but they still got 70 points. You've also got to balance that against the fact they finished above Rangers the previous year. Overall, I'd say their league form was ok, but not outstanding, in the circumstances.
70 points in a tough league is good.

It's only 5 less than JR got in what everyone has described as the worst championship in living history.

* disclaimer* i know JR's team managed to take their foot off the gas and every year gets described as "the worst championship in years" by every set of fans apart from the winning ones

25 minutes ago, Cumdog35 said:

It is not nonsense, a quick look at the highlights has it as 10 men behind the ball, fouls and kicks all over the pitch, dirty tactic. "tight midfield scrap" you are having a laugh, it was downright thuggery. Not to mention the handball which wasn't given at ER.

Highlights tend to show goalmouth incidents, mate. You'd expect to see players defending. The highlights also show us beating you by scoring more goals.

The rest of that paragraph is borderline heads gone and, quite frankly, not up to the usual P&B Hibs standard.

I appreciate that I'm coming across as an out and out Stubbsy dickrider at this point but I'm surprised to see people describe his signings for Hibs as 'alright'.  

Gray, McGregor, Bartley, McGinn, Allan, McGeouch, Henderson, swapping Boyle for Harris - if we'd made one or two signings as good as that in the couple of years prior, things could've been different. Even the likes of Logan, Fontaine (before his legs went), Fyvie, Malonga, Stokes and Keatings contributed at certain stages. 

There were a few anonymous loanee/short term deal squad filler types that I can't even remember now but that is probably to be expected when a manager takes over with about 6 players on the books. Overall the reconstruction job he did was pretty remarkable imo. 

4 hours ago, Lebowski said:

The players had 2 days off from February to the cup final, and that was only because we lost in the play off to Falkirk. It wasn't bad management, it was the most fucked fixture list ever. The cup games lost under Stubbs were a ridiculous loss to Falkirk in a game we absolutely dominated in the SC semi final, lost a late goal to Ross County in the league cup final from a bad clearance in a game we should have won, and lost on penalties to Dundee Utd in the quarter finals of the league cup. The Falkirk game in particular should be a St Johnstone fans favourite ever Hibs game because we'd have battered you in the final you won as we did in the league cup semi final the following year.

Don't think this one was Stubbs' finest hour tbh. We were in complete control of the game when he subbed Thomson for Keatings. County were trying to play on the break and getting no joy doing so. Stubbs YOLOs it for no apparent reason and they take advantage. Fair play, Stubbs took the same approach of chasing a normal time winner in the Scottish and it worked. I'm not sure his adventurous approach to tactics is necessarily ideal for a possible relegation battle though.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
25 minutes ago, bennett said:
I don't recall Falkirk being an uber defensive team, in our games against them they were a decent footballing side.

Hibs fans have often perpetrated a rumour about us being a dirty side. In reality most Falkirk fans of the time bemoaned our total lack of grit and physicality.

I don't think we've fielded a physical team this century. Only last season we were lauding Taiwo (half the size of some opponents) for getting stuck in when no one else was.

Wait until they come up against a backs to the wall Livi, foraging for points without Hopkin's carefree commitment to attack.

He took over at Hibs at their lowest ebb having just been relegated and the majority of the squad leaving and the supporters feeling utter suicidal.  He came in brought his own touch to the club brought in players to play brilliant football at times finish second ahead of Rangers and reach the Scottish Cup Semi Final. 
Second season he built on that to reach the two national finals and of course win the Scottish Cup the ultimate achievement for any Hibernian manager having dumped Hearts and two other top flight clubs on the way to winning it.  They also eliminated an unbeaten Aberdeen side and St Johnstone on the way to the league cup final.  By the end of the season though the amount of games took their toll and promotion wasn’t gained. 
Im not sure how you can describe the guy is unproven having turned Hibs around completely from relegation dire football under Butcher to the Scottish Cup playing some superb stuff at times.  

To be fair since hibs he got very quickly sacked from Rotherham and hasn’t done anything since so not sure he’s had the meteoric rise you seem to think he should have.

I’m not saying he’s shit but don’t think his record is brilliant to be honest hence the ‘unproven’ comment. Not sure why that’s caused any offence.

9 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

. I'm not sure his adventurous approach to tactics is necessarily ideal for a possible relegation battle though.

If Jack Ross was still with us, then that's the way he would be approaching matches.

Could be brilliant or could be suicide.:)

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

To be fair since hibs he got very quickly sacked from Rotherham and hasn’t done anything since so not sure he’s had the meteoric rise you seem to think he should have.

I’m not saying he’s shit but don’t think his record is brilliant to be honest hence the ‘unproven’ comment. Not sure why that’s caused any offence.

Rotherham was an incalculable risk he only took because his wife wanted him down the road as he was getting close with wee Kitty. 

His record against clubs in this league taking away the Championship is incredible though and that’s who he will be up against for Mirren.  

My recollection of our games with Falkirk is that Houston often had them set up perfectly to play the Hibs team of the time. It wasn't quite the prison rules thugfest that some are making out but I would imagine that Houston told his players that Hibs' team could frustrated. There was always lots of niggly fouls, more timewasting than I've seen from fourth tier teams we've played in cups, just really effective shithousing really.

I don't blame Houston for that at all. It was completely the right tactic, we were a team who it was too easy to get it up. You could usually feel on about 60 minutes when it wasn't going to be our day. That's where Lennon has improved us massively, the current team (involving much of the same players) absolutely love a wee scrap. The draw at Tynie in the second of the three recent cup derbies and the first win v Rangers last season were truly world class displays of shithousing.

ETA: I think Falkirk scored practically the exact same goal against us three times in one season too :lol: Long throw at Lewy, flicked header, goal. I mind the first game of the Championship winning season, a long throw came in and Fontaine was there to blooter it into the surrounding industrial wasteland. Those are the wee details that Stubbs was shit at noticing. 

7 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

My recollection of our games with Falkirk is that Houston often had them set up perfectly to play the Hibs team of the time. It wasn't quite the prison rules thugfest that some are making out but I would imagine that Houston told his players that Hibs' team could frustrated. There was always lots of niggly fouls, more timewasting than I've seen from fourth tier teams we've played in cups, just really effective shithousing really.

I don't blame Houston for that at all. It was completely the right tactic, we were a team who it was too easy to get it up. You could usually feel on about 60 minutes when it wasn't going to be our day. That's where Lennon has improved us massively, the current team (involving much of the same players) absolutely love a wee scrap. The draw at Tynie in the second of the three recent cup derbies and the first win v Rangers last season were truly world class displays of shithousing.

ETA: I think Falkirk scored practically the exact same goal against us three times in one season too :lol: Long throw at Lewy, flicked header, goal. I mind the first game of the Championship winning season, a long throw came in and Fontaine was there to blooter it into the surrounding industrial wasteland. Those are the wee details that Stubbs was shit at noticing. 

Lennon was not happy after Hibs drew 1-1 with us at NDP???

We were an incredibly physical side that day and Hibs were the opposite. 

Mr Lennon branded us as cavemen. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

How is a manager to turn a club around in 5 month that needs rebuilt ? Near impossible I had a listen to Alan on YouTube about the Rotherham Job was an interesting listen. He should never have left Hibs saying that Lennon has been outstanding for Hibs. Im looking forward to Stubbs leading Saints, first season is about survival anything else is a bonus. Then we build on that. 

In defence of Stubbs record at Rotherham - which admittedly I know next to nothing about apart from he got his jotters.

Steve Robinson had an even worse time of it at Oldham and got us away from relegation to 2 cup finals and bottom half champions in his first full season. 

In a previous post I said I was happy with this appointment. Said tongue in cheek. Truth is any Manager is a risk regardless and that applies to Gerrard at Rangers and Lampard at Derby. 

If St Mirren steer clear of the bottom two places next season that will be rightly seen as an achievement by Stubbs and success. 

33 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Lennon was not happy after Hibs drew 1-1 with us at NDP???

We were an incredibly physical side that day and Hibs were the opposite. 

Mr Lennon branded us as cavemen. :lol:

I said myself that Lennon's comments there was as blatant an example of deflection as you'll ever see :lol:

You're right about both teams that day but those kind of performances are more of an exception these days. I don't think we were shithoused out of three points there anyway, we just fluffed our lines.

I appreciate that I'm coming across as an out and out Stubbsy dickrider at this point but I'm surprised to see people describe his signings for Hibs as 'alright'.  
Gray, McGregor, Bartley, McGinn, Allan, McGeouch, Henderson, swapping Boyle for Harris - if we'd made one or two signings as good as that in the couple of years prior, things could've been different. Even the likes of Logan, Fontaine (before his legs went), Fyvie, Malonga, Stokes and Keatings contributed at certain stages. 
There were a few anonymous loanee/short term deal squad filler types that I can't even remember now but that is probably to be expected when a manager takes over with about 6 players on the books. Overall the reconstruction job he did was pretty remarkable imo. 
Don't think this one was Stubbs' finest hour tbh. We were in complete control of the game when he subbed Thomson for Keatings. County were trying to play on the break and getting no joy doing so. Stubbs YOLOs it for no apparent reason and they take advantage. Fair play, Stubbs took the same approach of chasing a normal time winner in the Scottish and it worked. I'm not sure his adventurous approach to tactics is necessarily ideal for a possible relegation battle though.
The League Cup Final was another product of the fixture congestion imo. I reckon Stubbs thought we couldn't afford another 30 minutes so had to try and win it then.

Rotherham was an incalculable risk he only took because his wife wanted him down the road as he was getting close with wee Kitty. 

His record against clubs in this league taking away the Championship is incredible though and that’s who he will be up against for Mirren.  

Again, I’m not saying he’s shit. I recognise his time at Rotherham was probably an unfair reflection on his abilities.

I just don’t see anything in his cv that would suggest he’s a top manager... YET

54 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I just don’t see anything in his cv that would suggest he’s a top manager... YET

To be brutally honest, if he was a top manager, it's unlikely he'd be coming to us. We can of course hope that he develops into one, but even if we had kept Ross you couldn't really call him a top manager. Which is a crazy comment considering he won the MotS award.

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Again, I’m not saying he’s shit. I recognise his time at Rotherham was probably an unfair reflection on his abilities.

In Scotland, winning the Scottish Cup with a relegated club having taking them to another Semi and league cup final whilst playing good football indicates he’s a good manager.  Had we lost that final I would have still said the same the state he got when he entered Easter Road with about 6000 season tickets to where the club is now is phenomenal 

31 minutes ago, Quiteabig Deal said:

In Scotland, winning the Scottish Cup with a relegated club having taking them to another Semi and league cup final whilst playing good football indicates he’s a good manager.  Had we lost that final I would have still said the same the state he got when he entered Easter Road with about 6000 season tickets to where the club is now is phenomenal 

The facts do indeed point to that.

I hope the facts are wrong and he takes St Mirren on a downward spiral.

Nothing personal against AS by the way.

Archived