(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Ooft, you are a bit touchy. The Dundee fan mentioned Relegation Express, there is a thread in the championship forum called the St Mirren Relegation Express. Maybe try and connect the dots as to why I mentioned it.  

You'd have to give him a crayon.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Quiteabig Deal said:

Hibs played great football and pumped the **** about a million times under Stubbs. Also made another semi and a league cup final.  He’s also a fucking brilliant guy. 

Hmmmm.

I don't feel defeated by a factual onslaught.

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

Given the way he took Celtics money when he was ill then fecked off to Bolton once fit, don't be expecting any loyalty from him when a good team comes knocking.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Indeed.

In football circles he certainly seems unique in that respect.:lol:

5 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:
13 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:
Does anyone know what his backroom team will be?

Probably just an assistant manager unless he doesn't like Clangers and the wee analysis guy.

Yeah, he'll probably have his preferred choice, but with him out of management for the last 18 months or so I can't imagine those sorts of guys sitting around waiting for him to be hired.

Yeah, he'll probably have his preferred choice, but with him out of management for the last 18 months or so I can't imagine those sorts of guys sitting around waiting for him to be hired.

A guy called Andy Holden was his assistant at Hibs and then was 1st team coach at rotherham. According to wiki rotherham was his last job.

I guess it depends on the salary we can offer but if I was a betting man he would be who I put my money on.

53 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Does anyone know what his backroom team will be?

John Doolan played a big role in his set up at Hibs but he’s just won promotion as part of the coaching team at Accrington Stanley so might not be keen to move. 

15 hours ago, JTS98 said:

If I was a St Mirren fan, I'd see this as a fair enough appointment considering spending power and the reputation of our league. Clubs in our league are always looking at damaged goods or unproven managers. But questioning Stubbs is fair too.

I agree with this. Personally, I think St Mirren should generally look for younger managers looking for a first chance at a full-time club, but I don't think Stubbs is a particularly bad appointment given our budget. Although he didn't get Hibs up in those two years, his signings were ok (especially by the standards of Hibs in the years prior to that), and the team pretty much finished each normal league season about where you'd have expected them to be (slightly higher in 14/15 and slightly lower in 15/16) with consistently good cup performances.

I agree with this. Personally, I think St Mirren should generally look for younger managers looking for a first chance at a full-time club, but I don't think Stubbs is a particularly bad appointment given our budget. Although he didn't get Hibs up in those two years, his signings were ok (especially by the standards of Hibs in the years prior to that), and the team pretty much finished each normal league season about where you'd have expected them to be (slightly higher in 14/15 and slightly lower in 15/16) with consistently good cup performances.

Can someone remind me. Did they finish above Rangers the year Hearts won it but then gassed the playoff?

Who beat them in the play off?

And then why didn't they go up the following year (when they won the cup)?

John Doolan played a big role in his set up at Hibs but he’s just won promotion as part of the coaching team at Accrington Stanley so might not be keen to move. 
Ta I was going with wiki rather than personal knowledge.

So Doolan was named as his assistant manager at Rotherham wonder what happened between them all that Holden got dropped from ass man to head coach and Doolan seemingly got promotion to ass man.

2 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Can someone remind me. Did they finish above Rangers the year Hearts won it but then gassed the playoff?

Who beat them in the play off?

And then why didn't they go up the following year (when they won the cup)?

They finished second to Hearts, but then lost the play-off semi-final to Rangers who'd finished third and beaten us before it.

They then finished third behind Rangers and Falkirk and lost to Falkirk in the semi-final, having beaten ( I think) Raith Rovers.

In both cases, the side that defeated them, then failed to make it into the top flight.

They finished second to Hearts, but then lost the play-off semi-final to Rangers who'd finished third and beaten us before it.
They then finished third behind Rangers and Falkirk and lost to Falkirk in the semi-final, having beaten ( I think) Raith Rovers.
In both cases, the side that defeated them, then failed to make it into the top flight.
OK so league form is good, big cup runs are good. Diddy cup and play off semi's aren't good.

I think I can deal with this.

11 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Given the way he took Celtics money when he was ill then fecked off to Bolton once fit, don't be expecting any loyalty from him when a good team comes knocking.

The guy has gone right up in my estimation. What a legend. 

Loyalty doesn't exist anymore. As we have just seen with Jack Ross.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

33 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

OK so league form is good, big cup runs are good. Diddy cup and play off semi's aren't good.

I think I can deal with this.

I don't think that League form can be considered "good" on that evidence.

Finishing third in the second season was really pretty poor, given their resources relative to everyone but Rangers.  

1 hour ago, Fony Titz said:

Ta I was going with wiki rather than personal knowledge.

So Doolan was named as his assistant manager at Rotherham wonder what happened between them all that Holden got dropped from ass man to head coach and Doolan seemingly got promotion to ass man.

To be fair I don’t think it matters an awful lot. They all seemed to work well together and their specific roles didn’t really mean a great deal. Doolan and Holden did a lot of the training work on a day to day basis. 

I don't think that League form can be considered "good" on that evidence.

Finishing third in the second season was really pretty poor, given their resources relative to everyone but Rangers.  

The players had 2 days off from February to the cup final, and that was only because we lost in the play off to Falkirk. It wasn't bad management, it was the most fucked fixture list ever. The cup games lost under Stubbs were a ridiculous loss to Falkirk in a game we absolutely dominated in the SC semi final, lost a late goal to Ross County in the league cup final from a bad clearance in a game we should have won, and lost on penalties to Dundee Utd in the quarter finals of the league cup. The Falkirk game in particular should be a St Johnstone fans favourite ever Hibs game because we'd have battered you in the final you won as we did in the league cup semi final the following year.

Archived