(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Stubbs did a decent job in his time at Hibs, and the cup win will always (rightly) over-shadow everything else. But there's always nuance, it's not black and white, no pun intended.

First off, clubs with St Mirren's budget, like most Scottish clubs, are always taking a gamble when they hire anyone. So why not Stubbs?

His Hibs team played decent football, but I always felt this was over-stated. He clearly improved them from the utter shambles they had been previously. Someone had to do a decent job there eventually. But when his Hibs team were good, they were excellent. They handed out a couple of humpings to Rangers and he quickly worked out how to use pressing to nullify Neilson's Hearts. Neilson never found an answer to that.

But then he also had two seasons to get them up and failed to do so. The points about fixture congestion are fair, but that's football. To not get promoted, or even to the final of the play-off, in two seasons in a league with a good set of players and a good budget (for that level) is a failure. I also remember Peter Houston making a comment after beating Hibs (again) that they knew before the game that if they got the ball wide and into the box, Hibs would give them chances because they always did. There were structural failings is Stubbs' Hibs. But the cup win wipes that out, obviously.

His cup record was very good, clearly.

If I was a St Mirren fan, I'd see this as a fair enough appointment considering spending power and the reputation of our league. Clubs in our league are always looking at damaged goods or unproven managers. But questioning Stubbs is fair too.

Can't disagree with any of this really. While I'm certain that the two cup runs accounted for at least the extra point we'd have needed to come second, his general squad management was another weakness that didn't help the situation. There didn't seem to be any planning for these runs of games, with certain players staying in the team well past the point of looking completely dead on their feet; as well as the odd game with about 8 changes. 

I'd say the various areas of management that he didn't impress in are all things that can be learned but they're also among the most important for the manager of a potentially struggling team. If Stubbsy's homeboys don't join him again as staff, Saints could do worse than appointing an experienced old head as Assistant. 

2 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

You forget we had Tommy Craig, Alex Rae , Ian Murray all in seqence, it does not get any worse than that trust me . Im confident with Stubbs leading us. What is more surprising is the number of Falkirk fans posting here taking an interst in our new appointment. I take Stubbs rattled your cage ? 

Everything and everyone rattles their cage. Truly a weird bunch of people. 

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I'd say the various areas of management that he didn't impress in are all things that can be learned

I'd agree here. And I think this is a wider point. People are always willing to discount anyone in football, players and managers, based on previous performance. But basing things purely on what went before forgets that the player or manager involved is surely likely to have learned from the experience.

Alan Stubbs the man seems very decent. Alan Stubbs the manager somewhere on the limited to reasonable continuum.

Bairns fans I don't think have any real beef with him, it's just hilarious how much Houston owned him and how utterly rattled he got.

The wonderful fact that Hibs beat Rangers in that Cup final, masked the fact that he twice failed to get them  out of the second tier during the play-off era.  He then struggled down south.

He might be alright, but he really might not be. 

I suppose it would inevitably be the case, but he's certainly weaker than the guy he's replacing.

5 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

You only need to pop down to the Championship forum to see how that prediction worked out last season.. :D

Please stop with the idea that anyone thought you were going to go down last season.

I don't remember even seeing someone saying you wouldn't challenge or be in top four, unless they were trolling for bites.

Jack Ross did a great job at St Mirren but the fans treat it like it was some sort of "Leicester winning the Premier League" type miracle.

10 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Please stop with the idea that anyone thought you were going to go down last season.

I don't remember even seeing someone saying you wouldn't challenge or be in top four, unless they were trolling for bites.

Jack Ross did a great job at St Mirren but the fans treat it like it was some sort of "Leicester winning the Premier League" type miracle.

You wid too if Dunfermline won the league. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The wonderful fact that Hibs beat Rangers in that Cup final, masked the fact that he twice failed to get them  out of the second tier during the play-off era.  He then struggled down south.

He might be alright, but he really might not be. 

I suppose it would inevitably be the case, but he's certainly weaker than the guy he's replacing.

Hibs played great football and pumped the **** about a million times under Stubbs. Also made another semi and a league cup final.  He’s also a fucking brilliant guy. 

17 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Ooft, you are a bit touchy. The Dundee fan mentioned Relegation Express, there is a thread in the championship forum called the St Mirren Relegation Express. Maybe try and connect the dots as to why I mentioned it.  

Archived