(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking at it completely based on records, he was in charge for Hibs for 100 matches and they won 59.

He's got the strongest win rate of any of the remaining candidates. 

He was in the Championship with a squad a lot of Premiership teams would have been jealous of.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

He was in the Championship with a squad a lot of Premiership teams would have been jealous of.

Agreed. There were two other clubs in the Championship in a similar or better position at the same time, though. 

Had they not shit the bed against Falkirk in the playoffs, think Stubbs would have been seen as more of an overall success. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. There were two other clubs in the Championship in a similar or better position at the same time, though. 

Had they not shit the bed against Falkirk in the playoffs, think Stubbs would have been seen as more of an overall success. 

Indeed  but if he hadn't won the cup he'd have been seen as a failure overall.

On the balance of things he underperformed in the Championship overall and excelled in the cup.

Then melted at Rotherham. 

Seems a nice enough guy but a bit thick. So your standard ex-footballer :angel

Stubbs came below us in the league with about 3 times the budget at least.  I wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.  Whats happened to the Saints managerial choices? A lot of decent names banded about a few weeks back and  now the short list seems to be full of absolute dross.

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, the question he was asking was why would a foreign manager be asked to name a Celtic player at a job interview for St Mirren? 

Anyway. Glad this is all being resolved in next 24 hours. Time to make moves and get a squad built. Whoever it is needs 100% backing from the supporters instead of 'that's shite, I wanted ______' 

I include myself in that should be appoint Caldwell or Mcintyre. They'll need full supporters backing. 

Full backing from me for our new Manager whoever he is. 

I reserve the right to change my mind once I see his Team Line Up for the Killie match. 

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Stubbs came below us in the league with about 3 times the budget at least.  I wouldnt touch him with a barge pole.  Whats happened to the Saints managerial choices? A lot of decent names banded about a few weeks back and  now the short list seems to be full of absolute dross.

Bit shit, right? Ignoring all the bullshit international superstars, it seems Robbie Neilson is still being paid off by MK Dons so would be financially worse off by taking our job.

Hopkin wants to manage in England, Goodwin said the time isn't right.

Lots of us like the look of Mellon, but we don't even know for sure if he's been interviewed. Plus, he's lived in Blackpool forever and all his jobs have been in that area (give or take).

All of which has whittled the list down pretty quickly. 

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looking at it completely based on records, he was in charge for Hibs for 100 matches and they won 59.

He's got the strongest win rate of any of the remaining candidates. 

In the Championship. 

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Bit shit, right? Ignoring all the bullshit international superstars, it seems Robbie Neilson is still being paid off by MK Dons so would be financially worse off by taking our job.

Hopkin wants to manage in England, Goodwin said the time isn't right.

Lots of us like the look of Mellon, but we don't even know for sure if he's been interviewed. Plus, he's lived in Blackpool forever and all his jobs have been in that area (give or take).

All of which has whittled the list down pretty quickly. 

Just seems to me that Saints are currently a very attractive proposition. Decent basic squad of players to build on, little or no debt, good  facilities so surely there must be better options than those . You don't want to feck up like we did when in a similar position and we gave the job to eddie feckin may.:bairn

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Just seems to me that Saints are currently a very attractive proposition. Decent basic squad of players to build on, little or no debt, good  facilities so surely there must be better options than those . You don't want to feck up like we did when in a similar position and we gave the job to eddie feckin may.:bairn

100% agree, and the Eddie May scenario - known round these parts as 'doing a Tommy Craig' - is what is giving us the fear.

It was never going to be easy going from someone like Ross, who is both good at his job and also bloody charismatic - but we seem to be making it as difficult as possible.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

100% agree, and the Eddie May scenario - known round these parts as 'doing a Tommy Craig' - is what is giving us the fear.

It was never going to be easy going from someone like Ross, who is both good at his job and also bloody charismatic - but we seem to be making it as difficult as possible.

Christ I forgot you'd already gone through the same situation as us before with the  Craig feck up.

49 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

A squad that he built from almost scratch. 

I think folk are forgetting the state that Hibs were in after Butcher.

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

If Derek left for Sevco, I was wanting Stubbs at Aberdeen tbh 

Think it would be a great appointment for Smurn 

Surely not .Was no surprise he was dire  at Rotherham with a tight budget when he could only come 3rd in the championship with a budget most championship teams could only dream of.  No disgrace to come behind teams like sevco but to finish below us in the league and get pumped out the cup by us  was unacceptable really. Old Houstie had him in his back pocket for two seasons.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Surely not .Was no surprise he was dire  at Rotherham with a tight budget when he could only come 3rd in the championship with a budget most championship teams could only dream of.  No disgrace to come behind teams like sevco but to come behind us was unacceptable .

Falkirk fans still parading their "we finished above the Hibs" trophy, I see.

4 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Falkirk fans still parading their "we finished above the Hibs" trophy, I see.

Its no a trophy because in the grand scheme of things it won us nothing but  its a basic fact that Stubbs couldn't finish above us with 3 times the budget. He also couldnt get past a team that only finished 5th in the league in a cup semi final the year previous.  We're talking about Stubbs here and no Hibs anyway.

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Its no a trophy because in the grand scheme of things it won us nothing but  its a basic fact that Stubbs couldn't finish above us with 3 times the budget. He also couldnt get past a team that only finished 5th in the league in a cup semi final the year previous.  We're talking about Stubbs here and no Hibs anyway.

Alright then, let's talk about Stubbs. His transfer record was very good, except for a blind spot for goalkeepers. John McGinn for <100K compo, Martin Boyle in a swap for Alex Harris (!), Dylan McGeouch and Scott Allan on frees.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Has your source changed his mind òn Stubbs Vince , not trying to be funny here maybe the board all sat down together and had a vote ? 

No Stubbs is favourite for the job he’s sticking to that prediction. The bookies have him 1/5. Not my choice Ian but we need to get this done and dusted, in order to start building the squad in prep for the new season.

3 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Alright then, let's talk about Stubbs. His transfer record was very good, except for a blind spot for goalkeepers. John McGinn for <100K compo, Martin Boyle in a swap for Alex Harris (!), Dylan McGeouch and Scott Allan on frees.

You could have ronaldo in your squad but if your a shit manager it won't make a blind bit of difference. Hibs fans are blinded by the fact that he won them the cup after so many years and ignore the fact he struggled to compete with peter houston over two seasons.  A cup defeat, 3rd in the league and beaten over two legs in the playoffs by a team they should never be struggling against. Lennon won the league at a canter the next season  with a lot of the same players.

Archived